BEST oil for Cummins Dogde 5.9L......????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide what oil to put into my 07 5.9L dodge ram 40k miles on it... she only drives in SoCal... and she tows ones a month.... daily driver too...

I was running Premium Blue since day 1 - but it's CJ-4 and not CI-4... so I guess there is Zinc missing for wear protection...

My ideas so far:

#1 Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
>> expensive - but hey, if it is good for her....

#2 Premium Blue and add zddp plus
>> should bring the Zinc back up.... not sure how much this all cost...

#3 John Deer oil 50+ 15w40
>> probably an economic choice... but hard to get in San Diego... (I haven't seen a John Deere dealer)

#4 Rotella T6... or T5 (not getting cold here) Link
>> impressive website!

Hope somebody who knows a lot more about oil and lubrication can help me out.... thx!

Last edited:
With those choices above and your driving habits, it pretty much comes down to making a choice and sticking with it. Utiizing UOA and keeping up with your maintenance...it also has to fit your budget.
My choice from above is the AME...

Is AME pretty much the best you can buy for this motor?

If yes, why is Amsoil not in the "Best" category here: TDR oil test

(I wish I could get some Premium Blue Classic down here...)

How about Pennzoil Long Life 15w-40, Chevron Delo 400 15w-40, Rotella T 15w-40, Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 or Mobil 1 Diesel 5w-40?

From what I've read here on oil reports it appears zinc is still pretty strong in the CJ-4 oil. My own reports using Rotella for many years show very little difference in zinc than I had 10 yrs ago in whatever formulation that was at the time. Any HD 15w40 oil should be fine.

Depends on what your looking for. Extended drains Amsoil AME 15-40 is the best and for protection with heavy load I always put Redline 15-40 in. Cant go wrong with either. For off the shelf product delvac 1

Originally Posted By: banana
Is AME pretty much the best you can buy for this motor?

If yes, why is Amsoil not in the "Best" category here: TDR oil test

(I wish I could get some Premium Blue Classic down here...)

The two Amsoil products that I see on this list are not the AME. AME is a 15W-40.

addyguy also mentions the Amsoil PCO 15W-40 synthetic blend oil. This is one of Amsoil's best kept secrets. I know of at least 20 large farms that have used this oil in all of their equipment for years with great results.

I went to Kragens Autoparts and they don't even have the new Rotella T5 stuff... only the old one... Gonna call NAPA tmr... Walmart would be even better!!!!

Last edited:
I just found this oil analysis and tell me if I am wrong, but these are high Zinc numbers like CI-4 has, right?

(and yes, I will def. send an oil sample in from my prem blue...)

Originally Posted By: RonH
From what I've read here on oil reports it appears zinc is still pretty strong in the CJ-4 oil. My own reports using Rotella for many years show very little difference in zinc than I had 10 yrs ago in whatever formulation that was at the time. Any HD 15w40 oil should be fine.

thats what I found here too: Link
(link in the post above)

So what is so bad about the CJ-4 stuff, which makes the CI-4 so much better???

Last edited:
CJ4 oil has slightly less Zn (usually ~2-300ppm less) and a lower TBN (designed for ULSD), which requires lower levels of Ca/Mg containing detergents, plus more Mg and less Ca since Mg has a lower atomic weight and therefore for a given amount of alkali reserve forms a lower mass of ash.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
CJ4 oil has slightly less Zn (usually ~2-300ppm less) and a lower TBN (designed for ULSD), which requires lower levels of Ca/Mg containing detergents, plus more Mg and less Ca since Mg has a lower atomic weight and therefore for a given amount of alkali reserve forms a lower mass of ash.

Charlie

thx...

now, with pizza on the keyboard, I think I get Delvac 1...
cos it is a "real" syn oil, and I probably get it at WallyM in San Diego or NAPA.... and it looks like it is one of the best oils out there...

or I will get Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme....

Is that a Group IV like Delvac 1?

And why does PremiumB Extreme has more Moly? Moly is good, right?

Last edited:
PBX is NOT Group IV-it's a hydrocracked Group III. Unless you have cash to burn for $150 oil changes, or a bypass system to REALLY extend OCIs on a CR Cummins-why not pick up some Mobil Delvac 1300 dino-it's a WHOLE LOT cheaper than Delvac 1, costs about 1/3 as much-your soot is going to build up quickly enough that you'll be wanting to change it after 7500 or so anyway (& don't forget that annoying Dodge/Chrysler/Cerberus/Fiat/??? engine warranty issue!!!)!

The common rail is extremely easy on oil as long as no aftermarket tuning is used. Agood filter such a t stratapore or a venturi filter will allow you to easily run 10K OCI with Delvac 1

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
PBX is NOT Group IV-it's a hydrocracked Group III. Unless you have cash to burn for $150 oil changes, or a bypass system to REALLY extend OCIs on a CR Cummins-why not pick up some Mobil Delvac 1300 dino-it's a WHOLE LOT cheaper than Delvac 1, costs about 1/3 as much-your soot is going to build up quickly enough that you'll be wanting to change it after 7500 or so anyway (& don't forget that annoying Dodge/Chrysler/Cerberus/Fiat/??? engine warranty issue!!!)!

Thanks for the info! I just found out that AA equipment sells John Deer Plus-50 15w-40 CI-4 oil.... so maybe I go with JD...

It is 11 bucks per gal...

And good stuff to put into the Cummins, right?
Change JD every 5000?

i would think the jd plus 50 could easily go 10k in a dodge, i use it in my 07 powerstroke & always had stellar uao's

I must admit that this whole oil thing and CJ vs. CI is not easy to understand... but I think I am getting a little bit closer...

So right now I think JD plus is my new path... or the regular Premium Blue CJ oil + some ZDDP additive...

Ok - for about the one zillionth time, there is no "BEST" oil for all applications for all people. You have to analyze your operational patterns, your maintenance plans, and choose accordingly. Then, if you want confirmation that you've made a good choice, successive UOAs.

The loss of ZDDP and other items when moving to CJ-4 fluids is a reality, but it's the mis-interpretation of that reality that sends most folks scurrying. Just because some characteristics (ZDDP, etc) were reduced with CJ-4, why do most people automatically suspect an inferior product? Do you not think that other characteristics (other additives and base stocks) were manipulated to compensate for the changes? For one thing, the CJ-4 fluids were designed with a great many detergents and anti-agglomerates to help with the ever-increasing use of EGR. That part of the CJ-4 add package far surpasses the older versions; yet people only focus of the loss of zinc, and forget to credit CJ-4 fluids with their strengths.

Overall, the major manufacturers (Shell, Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol) have a collective total of millions of miles of testing and real-world-use data to show that, when using ULSD as a fuel, the new CJ-4 fluids outperform their predecessors. It's NOT a conspiracy; it's facts, data, and engineering.

Outputs (UOA results) speak volumes more than inputs (VOAs and PDFs). Let's step away from the oil topic, and look at the input/output factor from a different perspective. Consider a football game. Knowing the starting line-ups for each team is a good thing, and you might be able to predict who is going to win. But if you could jump ahead into the future to make a bet, would you rather know the roster, or the end score? Would you rather know the inputs, or the results? Most people can see, from this perspective, that outputs are more inportant than inputs. Getting back to oil; a UOA is much more telling than a VOA.

With that in mind, look at many of the recent UOAs for the new CJ-4 dino HDEO fluids. The performance is outstanding. Whatever it is that people think is detrimental from the move to CJ-4 is NOT manifesting itself in the real world. The new CJ-4 fluids are turning in stellar UOAs. On top of that, with the recent (ongoing) bargins in Rotella and Delvac, the dino HDEO costs are excellent. I personally recently ran Rotella 10w-30 dino in heavy use for 6k miles, and the UOA was outstanding. Many Delvac 1300 UOAs have shown super results. All in CJ-4.

Banana, you've got a 2007, right? You have DPF? Your truck's stock? You need to run a CJ-4 fluid, for the health of the exhaust system and to control soot.

All that being said, certainly anyone should use what they deem most appropriate; that's common sense. But being in SoCal, it's not like extreme temps are an issue for the OP. So only the OCI duration should play into this decision. Can he/she handle really long OCIs? If so, go with synthetics and bypass; that is their forte'. But if you can't keep your hands off the wrenches, then find a quality dino HDEO and use it for 7.5k miles (perhaps more, UOA dependent).

There is no best oil for everything. There are "better" selections for given operating and maintenance plans. You must choose accordingly, after you define your scenario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back