Best conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Anies
Thanks, been nutty all week. I think my nerves are catching up to me. Been trying to keep my mind off it with thoughts of oil. Seriously, white bottle Valvoline and Castrol GTX floating in my head, cst@100 etc. This site is a god send!

I'm a wreck!
Understand that!

Best thing I've even done. 25 years this December 7th and my one and only marriage.

But we did not go for the whole wedding thing. Flew to California and eloped.

Either GTX (which has done me well over the years) or Valvoline (which my 380k+ miles in the Jetta has been mostly on) are GOOD choices.

Take care, Bill

Yeah I wanted it to be simple and easy, but she had to have it big and complicated lol.

25 years, you are doing something right Bill!

Yeah I'm leaning more towards the Valvoline as its just a hair thicker than the GTX, but the GTX seems to hold its viscosity/doesn't seem to sheer down as quick as other oils. Funny thing is there isn't anything eye popping about their make up, hardly any moly, decent calcium additives.

Don't look at the adds. Look at the performance of the oil.

Both do great.
01.gif

I'd use either with no worries.

Take care, Bill

Anyone use Chevron Supreme conventional oil? I've been using it for a year now with no noticeable problems, but I've never done an oil analysis.

I hear the Chevron and Havoline oil's are very good, i am sure someone who has used them can confirm. Problem is availability is scarce in my parts.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Anyone use Chevron Supreme conventional oil? I've been using it for a year now with no noticeable problems, but I've never done an oil analysis.

Chevron/Havoline (which are both essentially the same oil) are IMO the best conventional oil money can buy.

Best oil, conventional or synthetic, is FAR (Free After Rebate). Got 20 quarts Peak oil and 4 Proline oil filters FAR from PepBoys some months ago. Actually, it wasn't free because I had to pay sale tax plus stamps to mail in the rebates, so that the actual cost is about 25 cents per quart/per filter.

Any of the top name brand conventional oils are going to all be the best. That's just how it is these days. You should pick them by looking at their viscosity that you want for your engine. Other than that, go by price or just brand name preference.

IMO (I'm not an expert and nobody else on this thread is an expert either) I think PYB is the best conventional.

Valvoline conventional has never been considered a top conventional on BITOG. Maybe a personal favorite of few but NEVER a top performer.

I actually consider valvoline just a tiny step better than store brands like supertech.

That said buy the cheapest SM (name brand or store brand) oil and I doubt you or the engine will ever tell the difference.

If you would look at the UOA's posted on this site, you would see that Valvoline performs as well as any other conventional PCMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back