Its a mmo (almost) Pre-Christmas miracle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
I'm not going to say that MMO has never solved a problem in an engine, BUT I still think it is a modern day snake oil.

I would bet that if you simply used a high detergent HDEO like Shell Rotella T for a couple of thousand miles it would do the same thing.

Detergency is the key in modern day engines! Not snake oil.

The bottom line is that for modern vehicles (less than 20-25 years old or less) most all manufacturers specifically tell you NOT to use additives of any kind as they may actually cause damage.

Demarpaint was the member who turned me onto MMO, I have always used synthetic oil in my car's and MMO did a great job of cleaning them up and making them run better. If MMO caused any engine damage we would have heard about it by now.

The fact is that if you perform regular oil changes using the recommended oil you don't need MMO.

I'd put money on it that for slightly gummed up engines that have been neglected from lack of oil changes a couple of changes with Rotella or similar would do the exact same thing and unlike MMO it isn't advised against by the mfr's.

If my vehicle was still under warranty I wouldn't dare put MMO or anything similar into the crankcase! Just so folks don't think I'm singling out MMO.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
We have many members who like to do extended oil changes.

We also have members who buy used cars with unknown OCI's.

Many people may do short trip driving and this can lead to deposits in there engines.

I did 3000 mile OCI's on a small block chevy and my engine still got dirty.

If you take a look under your valve covers then you can decide how clean your engine is and then decide whether or not you need an oil additive to clean things up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chad8
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But who knows what would have happened with ANY oil added, since it was low? Espesially a thinner one?
And what about simply heating up and running after a long rest?

This doesn't really show anything conclusive.

To answer your doubts. I first ran the car a few times down the block and warmed it up .I let it idle a while too. The car was only down less than a quart of oil(2/3-3/4). You should have heard it. it was BAD. I have been working on cars as a hobby 35 years. I know my stuff. I have never seen a motor quiet down like this one did especially immediately after adding mmo. So you can attribute it to whatever you want ,but I know what lubed that motor.
Yes , probably any straight 5w oil with solvent probably could have done it ,but I used mmo and could not be more satisfied. As far as just the oil level being low , i test drove the car a couple weeks ago before I bought it , but could only drive it a block. The wheel bearing was going to fall out and snap the axle so I limped it back to the house. I do not remember the engine making that much noise and the oil level was the same as today. I could be wrong about the valve noise because I was so concerned about the wheel falling off, but i am sure I would have noticed it.
I do Know that the mmo did exactly what it was designed to do. Lubricate the upper end of the motor and free up any sticking valves or lifters. Who is with me on this one! .

We've been working on cars about the same amount of time. I've had similar results over the years helping friends with problem engines. I'm with you on this one

I talked with my wife tonight. She was with me on the first test drive. she said that the engine made no noise.we had the hood up checking it out together. That is what i thought. It must have been from setting a few weeks or possibly months. thank goodness.
This motor has 78000 miles. I too probably would not need mmo on a car under warranty ,but this one I did. The car did not have any maintenance lately. The last 2 owners were a teen boy who had the car taken away for too many tickets and an 18 year oil girl who drove it 4 weeks with a broken wheel bearing. I am pulling the records from suzuki tomorrow. We will see if anything has been done. I bet that all the fluids need a change.

As some of you know from the Oil Additives section, I am a big MMO user and believer. I worked on vehicles for about 33 years now.

My recent purchase '01 Saturn SL1 w/117k & GF's newer '97 Camry w/116k has benefitted from MMO both in the Gas and Oil.

My "03 GMC Sierra w/168k doesn't "need" it as I have been obsessed with the oil changes since new and it's super clean inside!

But, on engines that are new to me that has been neglected before, a big **
thumbsup2.gif
** to MMO.

Originally Posted By: c3po
We have many members who like to do extended oil changes.

We also have members who buy used cars with unknown OCI's.

Many people may do short trip driving and this can lead to deposits in there engines.

I did 3000 mile OCI's on a small block chevy and my engine still got dirty.

If you take a look under your valve covers then you can decide how clean your engine is and then decide whether or not you need an oil additive to clean things up.

Good points, I've also seen engines maintained under the severe service category run for 3000 mile OCI's, most of which were run on a good dino oil. One comes to mind it was 1980 Ford Maverick a buddy owned since it had about 10,000 miles on it. He had a leaky VC gasket, so one Saturday afternoon he invited me to help with it. A little arm twisting and some Molson Export Ale IIRC and we did the VC gasket. He had a nice heavy coat of varnish.

We replaced the VC gasket, and added MMO. At his next OCI that engine was clean, how do I know. My buddy was OCD, learned how easy the little 200 I6 was to work on and pulled the valve cover. They had some metal baffle, flap for lack of a better word and you really couldn't see the rockers through the fill hole. The list goes on. Some say varnish is cosmetic and ignore it, others freak. Varnish can be a PIA to remove, oil alone is not removing varnish, no way, no how.

I have been in a position to have experience with many vehicles, and their owners.
It's just that for the vast majority of the time, common additives don't do anything to help [not only MMO]. Especially in 10 minutes.

If you live close enough to the US border... just come on in, buy a stash of MMO and go back home :)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'd love to try MMO but still trying to figure out where I can buy it in Canada without having a BITOGer mail some to me.. ha

It's been on the shelf at Canadian Tire and PartSource every time I've been in. (I don't use it, I've just seen it).

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'd love to try MMO but still trying to figure out where I can buy it in Canada without having a BITOGer mail some to me.. ha

There's no Walmart in London? I coulda sworn I saw one there.

I have been in a position to have experience with many vehicles, and their owners.
It's just that for the vast majority of the time, common additives don't do anything to help [not only MMO]. Especially in 10 minutes.

I'm of the opinion that most additives are nothing more than a placebo. However, I can't argue with the success I've had with MMO to de-louse a sludged engine. It worked for me.

10 minutes is no time at all for anything to happen. But if you add MMO to your oil during the dead of winter you will notice easier cold starting once the MMO has mixed in with the oil. So I guess in that situtation the results become immediate as soon as the next cold start.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
The fact is that if you perform regular oil changes using the recommended oil you don't need MMO.

I'd put money on it that for slightly gummed up engines that have been neglected from lack of oil changes a couple of changes with Rotella or similar would do the exact same thing and unlike MMO it isn't advised against by the mfr's.

If my vehicle was still under warranty I wouldn't dare put MMO or anything similar into the crankcase! Just so folks don't think I'm singling out MMO.
spankme2.gif

I disagree. Ive used GC and Maxlife in the Jetta and a run of auto rx. Nothing has quieted down the Jetta like MMO has. I just added a a qrt to my Tacoma that has seen nothing but synthetics since 9K....im courious if ill see some extra cleaning.

The Jetta has been driven pretty hard but no sludge build up under the oil cap. The Tacoma is spotless.

I love these MMO success stories, we should start a thread MMO success stories. c3po where are u?

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I love these MMO success stories, we should start a thread MMO success stories. c3po where are u?

I am right here, AD.

Hopefully we will see more posts from members about there experiences with MMO.

So if your motor doesn't fail it must be working? I keep reading things like "it runs quieter," and how it performs, "extra cleaning." Are you guys able to quantify these statements? I know some have pulled their valve covers, but how is that an indication of cleaning? After a new-to-you vehicle's first couple of OCI was there still sludge that only MMO eventually got rid of?

I fell for MMO in the gas tank, and used it for 4-5 fill-ups. Gas mileage didn't change, and my fuel pump is still pretty noisy. It went away for fuel fill up number two and three, but came back - with MMO still being used, mind you - for tanks four and five. I guess I would have assumed it was MMO that quieted the pump if I had stopped using after fill up number 3, but the reality is that MMO didn't do anything except maybe lower my octane a little.

I guess I'm not saying I don't think MMO might be doing something, but for the majority of us it serves no purpose. Almost all of what people write is either butt dyno effects or purely peace-of-mind assumptions of what it's doing.

How about this? A buddy owns a car for 50,000 miles, and had visable junk via the oil fill hole. He runs 2 back to back OCI's totaling about 7000 miles, adding 1 qt MMO each time. The engine is now visably clean via the oil fill hole. Add to that an annoying lifter tick, gone. No butt dino. How about coming out in a -25* F winter morning, and having the car fire right up without groaning and making odd noises? It does serve more than a sugar coated placebo, at least for me and my family. YMMV

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So if your motor doesn't fail it must be working? I keep reading things like "it runs quieter," and how it performs, "extra cleaning." Are you guys able to quantify these statements? I know some have pulled their valve covers, but how is that an indication of cleaning? After a new-to-you vehicle's first couple of OCI was there still sludge that only MMO eventually got rid of?

I fell for MMO in the gas tank, and used it for 4-5 fill-ups. Gas mileage didn't change, and my fuel pump is still pretty noisy. It went away for fuel fill up number two and three, but came back - with MMO still being used, mind you - for tanks four and five. I guess I would have assumed it was MMO that quieted the pump if I had stopped using after fill up number 3, but the reality is that MMO didn't do anything except maybe lower my octane a little.

I guess I'm not saying I don't think MMO might be doing something, but for the majority of us it serves no purpose. Almost all of what people write is either butt dyno effects or purely peace-of-mind assumptions of what it's doing.

Did you ever let your gas tank go below a 1/4th of a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back