Hankook Optimo H727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a set put on my car today after reading the rating they got in a consumer magazine.

They are an all season tire rated at 100,000 miles.

Also thought I would try the Nitrogen inflation as he cut me a break a little to try it ($ 5.00 a tire.)

I thought the tire price was reasonable considering what some tires cost today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Also thought I would try the Nitrogen inflation as he cut me a break a little to try it ($ 5.00 a tire.)

shocked2.gif

He charged you $5 per tire to put nitrogen in it? Or are you saying you got a $5 per tire discount to try nitrogen? Did you mention to him that natural air is 78% nitrogen? Also, how did he remove the natural air that was already in there? If he didn't, then you don't have anywhere close to 100% nitrogen in there anyway.

Other than that, congrats on your new tires. Never heard of them, but let us know how they fare in some time.

I have hankook optimo h-420's and they are very stiff. The ride is [censored]. I have about 28000 on them and they are over half way worn. The handling is good but i put 60 series tires on a corolla that calls for 65 series tires. I do not think i would buy them again except I bought rims and tires with 6000 miles off an 07 aveo for $100. I can live with a harsh ride for that.I do tend to put a lot of air in my tires for mileage reasons.
I do like the styling of the tire and the traction is good except in snow. If you think that 100000 miles is attainable then go for it. I will say that falken , (sumitumo) and hankook are leading the way in tire research and design. I hope you got a road hazard warranty for $100/tire. That seems high when smaller sizes i checked were about $60. let us know how they are in a few thousand miles.

I got the tires for $ 74.00 each. Did get the road hazard insurance. I don't expect 100,000 miles but 50-60,000 would be nice.

They have a Nitrogen machine that puts 99.9 % Nitrogen in them. The machine has 4 hoses that connect all at once to the tires. It pulls out all but 7 pounds of air and then refills with Nitrogen. It then does this again. Reg cost was 8.00 a tire. Refills are free.

Last edited:
Im glad to see a post on this tire. Its one I've been considering for my wifes 07 ford freestyle. I've not seen many post anywhere about it, but what I have seen is that supposedly CR rates it good for snow. Is this true?? You Being in michigan I assumed snow performance was very important to you. Also a 100.000 Mi Tread Warrantee is Important cause It seems the AWD freestyles Eat up tires right quick some within 20k Miles. Please keep us updated Im interested to see how they hold up for you. Thanks!!

Yes they rate it good for snow and that is important to me.

The good snow rating is probably due to all the siping it has in the tread blocks. We shall see.

So far I like them. They are quiet and track nicely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chad8
I have hankook optimo h-420's and they are very stiff. The ride is [censored]. I have about 28000 on them and they are over half way worn. The handling is good but i put 60 series tires on a corolla that calls for 65 series tires. I do not think i would buy them again except I bought rims and tires with 6000 miles off an 07 aveo for $100. I can live with a harsh ride for that.I do tend to put a lot of air in my tires for mileage reasons.
I do like the styling of the tire and the traction is good except in snow. If you think that 100000 miles is attainable then go for it. I will say that falken , (sumitumo) and hankook are leading the way in tire research and design. I hope you got a road hazard warranty for $100/tire. That seems high when smaller sizes i checked were about $60. let us know how they are in a few thousand miles.

I heard the Hankook Optimo H-420 and the H-727 are like night and day.

Hankook H-420 are their worst tires.

I also took the bait based on the Consumer Reports test and had a set of the Hankook H727's installed on my Impala today. I was tempted to get a set of Michelins (the MXV4 that were top rated in the CR test) but they were almost $200 more "out the door". Plus, the Hankooks are rated better for snow. If you notice, the tread pattern on the Hankooks and the Michelin are very similar. I replaced a set of absolutely garbage Firestone FR480's that I endured for 15,000 miles. 4 balance attempts couldn't get those [censored] tires to stop vibrating at any speed above 40 mph. That's my last set of "economy" tires and definitely my last Firestones. The ride home on the Hankooks was great...very smooth and amazingly quiet. If the snow traction is as good as CR stated (I drive a LOT for my job in the "great white north" of northern Michigan)and the treadwear is decent I'll be happy.

You'll be replacing them soon....GM pulled them pretty much on any model that had them, due to the issues they had to deal with.

They are stiff, suck bad in anything below 20 degrees, wear pretty quick, nearly double if they are rotated...

I stopped in a local tire shop were a customer was replacing the Nooks' on his G6 after 21k....and they were cooked. They were not even the OE tires either....

727's arent oem.. thats a different model... I know a ton of Ford focus(focii?) come with the bad hankook model.. I had a rental and it was pretty slippery in the rain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
727's arent oem.. thats a different model... I know a ton of Ford focus(focii?) come with the bad hankook model.. I had a rental and it was pretty slippery in the rain.

Eh, they all seem to have some issue.....

hankook makes studded/studless winter tires and extreme performance summer tires and everything in between.
they cant ALL have the issue.

That would be like saying "All GM cars burn oil"
or
all sears stores have bad customer service(ok that might be true)

Okay, sorry, that did sound bad...

It's more the all seasons that I am worried about. They seem to do okay down south, but not so much up here (northeast, midwest)
Maybe the tires don't like the cold...who knows?

And those AS tires don't seem to wear well either. A couple of my local tires places aren't as big on them either. Which is interesting, considering if you're looking for a good summer tire, they seem to be up there...

Could be the tread, could be the compound, it's tough to say...

It mainly is the model. hankooks first models were pretty bad.. poor wear, poor traction, poor handling.

some of the newer ones are much improved.

I wouldnt take a goodyear eagle LS,or RSA if someone gave me 75% off a set.

their tripletred's are pretty amazing and while overpriced are a great tire.

somewhat the same thing here with hankook.
their new h727 is alot better than the older ones.

I'm just saying keep an open mind.

I hated hyundai's for years and then I bought one this year after driving about 20 other cars first.
their new model was head and shoulders above the previous one I had formed my opinions on.

Last edited:
I had a set of Triple Treads on my PT Cruiser. They were great up to 30,000 miles...great handling and phenomenal in the snow. After 30,000 miles they got very noisy...by the time I replaced them at 43,000 miles they roared so badly I thought I had a bad wheel bearing (which is a problem with the PT). One of the rear tires had 2 bulges and the tread on the outside of the tires was pretty much gone (they were rotated every 5-6,000 miles and I keep a close eye on the inflation level). Despite the stellar TireRack ratings I was less than impressed for the price. The H727 is one of Hankooks newest offerings and I think I made a good choice. If not, I'll spring for the Michelins I "almost" bought this time and chalk it up to experience.

Originally Posted By: Rand
It mainly is the model. hankooks first models were pretty bad.. poor wear, poor traction, poor handling.

some of the newer ones are much improved.

I wouldnt take a goodyear eagle LS,or RSA if someone gave me 75% off a set.

their tripletred's are pretty amazing and while overpriced are a great tire.

somewhat the same thing here with hankook.
their new h727 is alot better than the older ones.

I'm just saying keep an open mind.

I hated hyundai's for years and then I bought one this year after driving about 20 other cars first.
their new model was head and shoulders above the previous one I had formed my opinions on.

True.. I plan too....

I hated Cooper tires years ago....now they have pretty good ones....

It's going to be a tough choice between the coopers and the BFG's...

Who knows? the Nooks could be on my list after that....

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I run the hankook winter ipike's and love them.
I drive aggressively,even in snow.
All season tires are a joke.

Sometimes....

I'm a little confused - most of the respondents in this thread live in the midwest - hit hard by manufacturing downturn. and Michigan has the highest unemployment. and we're buying tires made from another country? pretty soon nobody here will be able to afford anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back