Which viscosity for 2001 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around here for a while, trying to suck up all the info I can. So far I really like this forum!

I recently bought a 2001 Toyota Tacoma, V6/3.4L. It has a little over 100k on it, and the previous owner (original owner) seemed to have taken very good care of it. He said that he mainly ran Castrol GTX and Pennzoil filter(crap) for 4-5k intervals. Also, the large majority of the miles are highway miles, so I'm thinking this engine is in pretty good condition.

Since I got it, I've used a can of BG Quick Clean in the oil, and have since been using Mobil 1 5W30 . I'm about to do an Auto-RX treatment as well.

My driving habits are not ideal. I drive 7.5 miles to work in the city, which usually takes me about 15 minutes. This is the majority of my driving, here in the Denver, CO area. Other than that, I also do some decent off-roading a couple times a month. Only about 15% of my miles are highway.

I am worried that most of my driving is when my motor and oil is not at an ideal temp, thus being most susceptable to wear. I will occasionally be operating in temps ~-10F when I'm up in the mountains during the winter, so that has to be considered.

So for these conditions, what viscosity oil (synthetic) would be best for wear protection? I want this engine to last as long as possible.

Thanx in advance!

-Mike

Edit: This is what my owner's manual says: "Use API grade SJ, Energy-Conserving, or ILSAC multigrade oil."

5W30 for all temps, 10W30 for > -18F
SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for your vehicle, for good fuel economy, and good starting in cold weather.

I honestly can't argue with using a 5w-30 oil, and even a 0w-30 like GC as many speak of it around here as being in the upper 30 weight area close to a 40. That would cover you viscosity wise if you're worried about thermal thinning if you thrash the truck around off road.

Perhaps someone more mindful of this engine's liking for particular oils and grades could be of some greater assistance.

It seems to approve of using the 5W30, but I figure it would approve of any 5W30, and any 10W30, and other viscosities as well. I'm sure I want a 30 weight in there, but the main thing is if there is a difference in wear protection between a 0, 5, and 10W, since most of my trips are short and the engine doesn't get ideally hot. It is the cold engine/oil wear that I am most worried about.

Thanks for the replies so far,

-Mike

What kind of ambient temperature extremes are we looking at over the duration of an oil change where you drive?

Do you change the oil seasonally, mileage, etc.?

Due to availibility however, it may just suffice to stay with a 5w-30, and synthetic at that is you are esspecially concerned about cold flow upon start-up is simply ideal.

If you have the 40 and/or 100 deg.c viscosity numbers as well as the VI, run the numbers on this link to find the calculated visc. at the coldest temp. you might see. Values change somewhat as the oil ages in use, but not many are sure to what degree without doing a UOA with cold flow request (is it possible to get number other than 40 deg.c, such as pour point, CCS and cold pumpability?).

Here's a link to a viscosity calculator that other's have provided on this board...

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/3655/VI.html

Don't let the oil bug get the better of you.
wink.gif

Happy holidays.

The 5w30 Mobil1 has served me well. I have a UOA posted in the UOA section with the 2.7 ltr Tacoma. I would post it,but gotta get the tree....

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 21800
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 101300
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I've been using 5W40 Amsoil in both my 2001 Tundra and 2002 Sequoia (V8's) with 80K each. Good oil pressure, good gas mileage and seems to quiet both engines on cold start-ups. Note that in that model year, Toyota, everywhere but in the US, recommends heavier oils than 5W30, and they all have the same engines.

Any SM dino rated 5W30 changed at 3-5k will make this engine last so long that you will vomit from being sick of the truck.

I've just seen too many abused Toyota's reach high milage with extremely abusive owners to think that only a syn can protect this 3.4L.

"Toyota, everywhere but in the US, recommends heavier oils than 5W30, and they all have the same engines."

I know I've heard that before somewhere, which is another thing making me think of going with a 10W30 synthetic. I can get Mobil 1 5W and 10W30 for extremely cheap, so I'm just trying to decide between the two.

Young Buck,

I'd put either 5W30 in it and leave it be.

If the oil has been changed like it should, you could probably get away with 10K intervals on Mobil 1.

I started using amsoil series 3K in my 2002 V6 from what i can tell i dont get the valve noise at startup like i did with their regular 5W30. I change the oil and filter every 6 months which is about 7500 miles or so. Some will say use something else that costs less but so far so good im going to stick with it.

Excellent UOA. My only wonder is that I've heard that my engine (the 5VZ-FE) might do better on 10W30. I know either one would be very good, just being picky and trying to find the best viscosity between the two. I guess only UOAs will tell.

Thanx for the replies!

-YB

If there isn't a consumption problem comparing 5W30 vs 10W30 there isn't an advantage with going with a 10W30 oil.

10W30 is practically an obsolete grade.

Just use any SM dino with 4-5k OCI's and don't worry.You won't kill the engine!

Ok, thanks guys! Alan, I'm not worried about killing the engine, just want to take as good care of it as possible, which is why I'm here! =)

With as cold as it's been around Colorado lately, and if you ever head to say, Winter Park/Fraser area during the winter where it routinely gets to 20 below, 5w-30 is a no brainer.

5w30 or a good 0w30 choose the oil brand of your choice based on solid logic and experience. do a search on the uoa FORUM FOR 3.4 TOYOTA ENGINES AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH A GOOD INTRO TO TRENDING. Ejoy the Taco! It is a very fun truck offraod truck. I kinda miss mine(I sold it a couple of months ago) but I am making room for something else to replace my offroading buf with less guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back