Random Lifter Tick on Cold startup - causes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG,

I've noticed that on random mornings, especially when it cools off a bit, that my G8 will have a couple of seconds of lifter tick on the first start of the day. Some days there's no tick at all, other days it will tick for a couple of seconds till the oil pumps up inside the lifters. This engine does have GM's AFM - Active Fuel Management system when 4 of the 8 cylinders will literally shutoff during light load situations. That system does use special lifters as part of that process. Since the tick only occurs randomly and it only lasts for a couple of seconds, it would be difficult for me to determine if it's an AFM cylinder ticking or not.

Should a couple of seconds of lifter tick on a GM V-8 cold start be a concern? Oil in use is M1 5-30 and a stock GM oil filter is in place.

Thanks,

Ed B.

I'd put in a filter with a known-good anti-drainback valve (such as a Wix or its clone the Napa gold) and see if that clears up the problem.

Could also be your oil weight. I mean, if your using a 15W-40 and it's cold, it's not unusual. Bottom line, if your using a good oil and weighted for the temperature and the tick goes away after a few seconds, nothing to worry about. Constant ticking..then that's different. 90% of those types of problems that I've seen are really simple and makes me laugh: engine needed some oil.

Don't know what year it is, but some GM engines have piston slap on cold start. It sounds similar to lifter ticking, maybe a tad deeper and faster. Slight piston slap shouldn't have any effect on engine life. Same thing with a slight lifter tick on cold start.

Your engine may be stopping at a different spot every day. This will load a lifter more than other times. If is has a bit of leakdown, you'll get a start up tick.
If it is going away in a few seconds, don't worry about it.
The stock filter should be great, but there are bad ones out there - it may have a leaky anti drain back valve.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Your engine may be stopping at a different spot every day. This will load a lifter more than other times. If is has a bit of leakdown, you'll get a start up tick.
The stock filter should be great, but there are bad ones out there - it may have a leaky anti drain back valve.

Years ago I had a old Ranger and once in a while it would make a lifter noise on one valve for 3-5 seconds. Lifter would bleed down depending where engine stopped and if the lifter was loaded or not. Never hurt the engie. My son still drives that old truck and it has 335,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

+1 My Expedition has been doing this since 0mi.
Because it is "random" piston slap is almost surely out of the picture and the filter adbv would leak all the time if it was bad.
Being an 09 i would take it back and let them at least document the complaint.
Use the correct weight oil at the warranty specified interval.
Document it and keep the receipt.
These buggers always look for a loop hole to get out of warranty work.

Yeah, I thought I had piston slap for awhile too until I realized it was the Hess gas I was putting into it. Once I cycle through a tank of Sunoco, BP or Chevron, the ticking sound goes away. I don't buy Hess anymore.

Not trying to point out the obvious, but it might be a good idea to touch base with the dealer. They would have TSB or any service campaign information available. Typically, the concern or issue must be presented as a problem, in other words don't call and ask.

If there's no power train warranty remaining, does not mean the dealer will not address it as a warranty.

Hope that helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back