BMW E90 320d (N47 - 177HP) + Castrol Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
He's just following the manufacturer's recommendations. It's hard to blame him. For us here, on this side of the pond, such long OCIs seem preposterous, but over there it's business as usual.

You've got it right Pete, I am just doing exactly what BMW is saying I should do. I'm not acting as a wise guy, I love my car as much as anyone else that changes the engine oil regardless of what the CBS says.

As I said in my previous post, do you know anyone else with extended oil change following the BMW CBS and had an oil analysis like I did?

Originally Posted By: marios
As I said in my previous post, do you know anyone else with extended oil change following the BMW CBS and had an oil analysis like I did?

There may have been some posted here on BITOG, but on gasoline engines though. However, BITOG's search engine sucks if you only use 3-letter words (like BMW), so it's hard to find them in the archives.

Personally, I had an analysis done on mine at around 6K miles, and according to a reputable analyst, the oil was already shot. As you can imagine, 6K was probably not even half of the interval recommended by the car's computer.

Hi,
marios - I would follow BMWs recommendations to the letter. And I agree with their comments if you are using a BMW Approved and Listed lubricant

Sadly Blackstone's comments are simply that, comments! - the question is did they come from a practised person with real Auto knowledge, a Lubricant Engineer, a Chemist or the Lab's cleaner. Some of the comments could easily have come from the latter IMO. BMW's comments won't be far off the money

As for Iron - it is accumulative. Whilst a little high and considering all aspects there is nothing to worry about IMO

I think its worth noting that BMW's recommendations in North America are different from Europe. Potentially, the CBS monitor may be different as well.

I have two 2008 BMW's in the family fleet - an M3 and a 323i. They've both been into the dealer this year and both have had chassis computer program updates that have shortened the OCI from 25,000 km to 20,000 km.

To enable the shorter interval (12,000 miles isn't super-long) they've got large sump capacity - 7 quarts in the I6 and 10 quarts in the V8.

BMW in North America also recommends (and will pay the cost if your car is still under the 4 year warranty) an annual oil change even if your CBS hasn't signaled a change. They don't reset the CBS when you get one of these "low mileage oil changes" so in principle, you could get the CBS change a few months later when it goes off.

There seems to be a different reality in North America as far as long OCI's. Could be differences in fuel, or some other parameter. BMW definitely has responded with shorter programmed OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
marios - I would follow BMWs recommendations to the letter. And I agree with their comments if you are using a BMW Approved and Listed lubricant

Sadly Blackstone's comments are simply that, comments! - the question is did they come from a practised person with real Auto knowledge, a Lubricant Engineer, a Chemist or the Lab's cleaner. Some of the comments could easily have come from the latter IMO. BMW's comments won't be far off the money

As for Iron - it is accumulative. Whilst a little high and considering all aspects there is nothing to worry about IMO

That's exactly my thoughts too Doug, couldn't agree more....

Originally Posted By: jaj
I think its worth noting that BMW's recommendations in North America are different from Europe. Potentially, the CBS monitor may be different as well.

I have two 2008 BMW's in the family fleet - an M3 and a 323i. They've both been into the dealer this year and both have had chassis computer program updates that have shortened the OCI from 25,000 km to 20,000 km.

To enable the shorter interval (12,000 miles isn't super-long) they've got large sump capacity - 7 quarts in the I6 and 10 quarts in the V8.

BMW in North America also recommends (and will pay the cost if your car is still under the 4 year warranty) an annual oil change even if your CBS hasn't signaled a change. They don't reset the CBS when you get one of these "low mileage oil changes" so in principle, you could get the CBS change a few months later when it goes off.

There seems to be a different reality in North America as far as long OCI's. Could be differences in fuel, or some other parameter. BMW definitely has responded with shorter programmed OCI's.

Hi jaj,

Well in Europe there are no alterations from BMW on the CBS indications, no updates as far as I know.

I don't know why the official BMW USA is changing the engine oil in the cars annually, it's their policy I think and BMW agreed probably. The cost of oil is extremely cheap in USA, plus the fact that more oil changes will definitely do no harm to the engine. :)

It's a marketing trick I think....to catch more customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back