Recommend oil - 2008 Chevy Impala 3.5 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend bought a beautiful black 2008 Chevy Impala. The owner's manual specifies 5W-30. He asked for my opinion on oils, so I recommended PP, Valvoline SynPower, or M1. GM Owners: What do you think works best in the GM 3.5 liter engine?

Valvolie synpower and M1, but i stay away from penzoil products, personel problem i had with a motor where the guy used nothing but penzoil, can somone say super sludger, it was perfectly good 350 motor

Pennzoil/Quaker State dino seems to work good on my GM v6. One thing those engines have is a good oiling system. It's based largely off the smb Chevy V8. The bad news is I think there's a service bulletin about the '06-'08 headgaskets. I know that's not what you were asking about. But don't they have a 100K powertrain warrranty?

Whatever synthetic 5W-30 is on sale, and follow OLM - the syn gives you a 'safety cushion' - sometime intervlas go 8-9k miles.

Valvoline white bottle 5k oci or olm. get the delco filters from wally world or supertech.

I wouldnt go past 5k on dino.

Last edited:
and as far as pennzoil goes, I dont like it I wont use it in my cars but the GM dealerships here use nothing but pennzoil motor oils. I dont think pennzoil is a problem if you like it.

The oiling system is not based on a sbc-v8...those old engines used a gearotor pump design, and these newer engines do not. Unless you're using sbc to include every Chevy V8 made, including the new ones, that's not accurate. And really, the newer Chevy v8s share very very little in design and parts, with the "sbc" that everyone refers to as the "sbc" typically.

Every single thread I go on, I see you on here telling people about bad intake gaskets, bad head gaskets, and they're not even asking anything at all about those issues.

Seems very trollish to me, and seems that you just have it out for GM products, to be sure and tell people things like this, with no actual proof or links to back it up. I have done some searching, and found nothing overwhelmingly significant or common, with either of these issues, in large numbers. If you google anything, you will get a few hits...you could find failed engines, transmissions, safety issues, from any manufacturer / model out there. That being said, the issues you seem to be so vocal about, don't seem to be nearly the concern that you make them out to be.

Surely seems that you are spreading negativity. If someone asks about an issue, it makes sense to discuss that issue. But when they ask about what oil to use, or something completely off topic, in several cases I've seen you bring up headgasket and intake gasket "failures" and a vague reference to a service bulletin, implying that it's such a huge issue.

Please, be fair. That's why we're on here.

And thanks for the response on my thread too.

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
The oiling system is not based on a sbc-v8...those old engines used a gearotor pump design, and these newer engines do not. Unless you're using sbc to include every Chevy V8 made, including the new ones, that's not accurate. And really, the newer Chevy v8s share very very little in design and parts, with the "sbc" that everyone refers to as the "sbc" typically.

You come on here and correct me but I think you are very wrong. The Chevy-designed V6 released in 1980 that this 3.5 is based on uses a camshaft driven gear pump. The oiling scheme and other details have similarities to the smb chevy V8.

Quote:
Every single thread I go on, I see you on here telling people about bad intake gaskets, bad head gaskets, and they're not even asking anything at all about those issues.

Where have I talked about intake gasket and headgaskets before, let alone in every thread?? I mean [censored]?? I gave the person in this thread a GM TSB about this particular engine. Your false comments are way out of line and uncalled for.

Quote:
Seems very trollish to me, and seems that you just have it out for GM products, to be sure and tell people things like this, with no actual proof or links to back it up. I have done some searching, and found nothing overwhelmingly significant or common, with either of these issues, in large numbers. If you google anything, you will get a few hits...you could find failed engines, transmissions, safety issues, from any manufacturer / model out there. That being said, the issues you seem to be so vocal about, don't seem to be nearly the concern that you make them out to be.

Again WTH are you talking about?? Where have I bashed GM or talked about any of those things you mentioned? Do you even know my short posting history since becoming a new member? You seem to be confused about what posters you are talking to. But you clearly aren't that knowledgable about the history of this engine now that you mention it. And since you brought it up, lower intake manifold gasket failure is a certainty and is pandemic on these engines from at least '95-'04. I've replaced several. That's not me always talking about gaskets, that's me corrected you since you brought the topic up.

Quote:
Surely seems that you are spreading negativity. If someone asks about an issue, it makes sense to discuss that issue. But when they ask about what oil to use, or something completely off topic, in several cases I've seen you bring up headgasket and intake gasket "failures" and a vague reference to a service bulletin, implying that it's such a huge issue.

Please, be fair. That's why we're on here.

I still don't know where you are coming up with this stuff. But if I want to offer a comment about a GM TSB regarding a headgasket which has a huge affect on engine oil I will. You're out of place [censored] on that and making up/imagining all this far out stuff you are accusing me of.

Quote:
And thanks for the response on my thread too.

Yeah I responded to your "blown engine" thread with about the only pluasible explanation and that's all the interaction I've had with you. Then you come in this thread with outlandish attacks from left-field.

Last edited:
not trying to keep an argument going or anything but since I own two of these engines I would like a tsb# or link to this as it is the first I have heard of it, as far as I know the 3.5 is a pretty new engine for gm and they are rock solid so far

Hey I think that comment about Pennzoil is off the wall also.Thread after thread goes on about the high quality of Pennzoil Platinum.Those sludge rumours are decades old.PLUS the new oils for these newer vehicles I have read are virtually sludge proof no matter who makes it.What is it SM rated oils?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Where have I talked about intake gasket and headgaskets before, let alone in every thread?? I mean [censored]?? I gave the person in this thread a GM TSB about this particular engine. Your false comments are way out of line and uncalled for.

I think he has you confused with someone else. For a while, there seemed to be a common theme around here: insert mention of GM's intake gaskets into every tech thread, relevant to the discussion or not. There were a couple culprits in particular.

My Sister has an 06 Impala with the 3.5L which is the same thing as that 08. Great car and great engine( amazing on MPG ). I haven't heard about any gasket issues with the 3.5L either????

I have her running Quaker State Horsepower right now. Got a ton of it back when AutoZone had a 5qts and a filter deal for $19.99. The engine has responded very favorably to the QS HP. That stash is about done however and it is time to consider something new.

Unfortunately, QS HP is no more. Once again all new names and formulas from QS. I am sick of the way they change so often. You never know if just the name is new or the formula is new? I think this time I will have her go to either Penzoil Platinum or Kendall GT1.

Any name brand synthetic will work well in the 3.5L. It is a pretty trouble free engine and as said above very easy on fuel. If I were going to buy a car it would be an Impala with the 3.5L.

Just to clarify, the GM 60* engine and it's oil system is not based off of the "typical" 90* SBC we all know and love. The 90* 200, 229, and 262 ci engines are decendents of the SBC.

Getting back to the OP: I have typically used Supertech in our 3.5L Malibu Maxx with great results. As my stash thins, I've been using Valvoline conventional and am currently running Quaker State conventional 5W30 for winter. She runs nice and quiet.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
not trying to keep an argument going or anything but since I own two of these engines I would like a tsb# or link to this as it is the first I have heard of it, as far as I know the 3.5 is a pretty new engine for gm and they are rock solid so far

Go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and do a TSB search.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

You can also search for recalls.

Just did a search myself and saw a TSB about leaking coolant - replace the coolant crossover pipe gaskets. Now I know where my external coolant leak is.

BTW, to the original poster, I am running 5w20 in this engine.

Last edited:
There is in fact a TSB out for head gaskets for the LZ4 and LZE 3.5l V-6s.

NHTSA Item Number : 10022805

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
BUICK / TERRAZA 2006-2007
CHEVROLET / IMPALA 2006-2007
CHEVROLET / MALIBU 2006-2007
CHEVROLET / MONTE CARLO 2006-2007
CHEVROLET / UPLANDER 2006-2007
PONTIAC / G6 2006-2007
PONTIAC / MONTANA SV6 2006-2007
SATURN / RELAY 2006-2007
Service Bulletin Number : 4196
NHTSA Item Number : 10022805
Summary Description :
CYLINDER HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT. *KB

Our 07 Impala was losing coolant; had it pressure tested under warranty at the dealer and of course they found nothing. I replaced the radiator cap and it has practically stopped the coolant loss.

Last edited:
But what does the tsb say? It has been years since I worked at a dealer but they used to issue tsb's all the time for changed procedures or a possible new part number etc. Yes it could be a bulletin because of a problem or defective part but you realy dont know for sure unless you can read the bulletin,

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
My Sister has an 06 Impala with the 3.5L which is the same thing as that 08. Great car and great engine( amazing on MPG ). I haven't heard about any gasket issues with the 3.5L either????

I have her running Quaker State Horsepower right now. Got a ton of it back when AutoZone had a 5qts and a filter deal for $19.99. The engine has responded very favorably to the QS HP. That stash is about done however and it is time to consider something new.

Unfortunately, QS HP is no more. Once again all new names and formulas from QS. I am sick of the way they change so often. You never know if just the name is new or the formula is new? I think this time I will have her go to either Penzoil Platinum or Kendall GT1.

Any name brand synthetic will work well in the 3.5L. It is a pretty trouble free engine and as said above very easy on fuel. If I were going to buy a car it would be an Impala with the 3.5L.

I had one for a week when I was in Nova Scotia this summer, it was an 09 LS with the 3.5. It was a very nice car and as you said, awesome on gas. I like the Impala too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back