Cut-Open PureOne PL30001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the oppo to cut open a latest generation PureOne PL30001 in unused condition and here is an overall shot and a shot of the bypass valve. Aren't these supposed to have a full synthetic media? Or is it a blend? This looks cellulose to me but I have not seen all varieties of filter media so I could be incorrect. Construction looks a bit average to me.

PL30001.jpg

PL30001A.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they are a blend Jim. The pleats look really nice an uniform though. i like that

The flat-spring bypass on some of these Purolators is interesting. Is it a metal-on-metal seal, or is there a rubber seat for it?

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
The flat-spring bypass on some of these Purolators is interesting. Is it a metal-on-metal seal, or is there a rubber seat for it?

The ADBV doubles as the upper seal.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

The ADBV doubles as the upper seal.

I'm not asking about the ADBV. I'm curious about the bypass, on the opposite end of the filter.

Looks like a very good filter media to me, lots of pleats and uniform. I think the bypass is metal to metal, nothing wrong with that some of the best are like that like the ones built into engines. The flat spring just looks like a lower profile way of making the bypass, it's probably as accurate and durable as a coil spring. I don't think the Silicon ADBV has anything to do with the bypass valve that's at the bottom, although it looks like the ADBV doubles as a top seal.

I'm not too concerned about filter bypasses since my application has the bypass on the engine
grin2.gif

Looks as good as any of the higher priced filters. I use them, the can seems a little thin but where my filter is situated it doesn't need to be any thicker. For the money I think it is one of the best filters on the market.

Construction looks a bit average to me.

As compared to what, other quality filters?

Metal to metal seal on the bypass valve. The spring is an interesting design. Same setup used on some of the Motorcraft filters made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Construction looks a bit average to me.

As compared to what, other quality filters?

I'm curious what's so "average" about the construction, and what is considered to be "not average".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
that bypass is exactly like the one Toyota use's on the Denso filters!

I'll be cuttin' open a Toyota OEM Denso off my 05 Tacoma in the next week ... will be interesting to see the guts.

I wish I wouldn't have destroyed the bypass when I punctured the shell to drain the oil before cutting used filters open. It would be interesting to see if there was debris in the metal to metal seals. I will be more careful with the STP I have on the truck now. It has the Champ plastic bypass in the dome end. Guess it didn't read here that all the filters from 3'' up are Ecores.

Originally Posted By: labman
It has the Champ plastic bypass in the dome end.

Hard plastic to hard plastic, or hard plastic to metal seal isn't any better than metal to metal seal IMO.

Average construction means average. No better than a Wix, Motorcraft, RP, K&N or Amsoil. I didn't necessarily expect it to be better, but "average" was my initial impression.

Anyway, go easy on me! I purchased and cut apart a perfectly good filter just for you (well, not exactly but I'll try to take the credit that way).

My local K-Mart had them on sale, so I stocked up for myself and decided to "sacrifice" one on the alter of the greater good.

PL30001A.jpg

This must be the filter's bypass valve. Did you test the relief valve to see if it would open?

My experience is that Purolator's leaf spring bypass valve are so stiff that they don't even open. I bet you can even open the valve by pushing down on it with your finger.

Thanks for sharing these pics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back