Nissan oil filters vs PureOne or Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nissan dealership says to use only nissan oil filters for long life protection. Why would a nissan filter be better than a PureOne or Wix filter on my 2005 Titan or my 2009 Altima?

Originally Posted By: desertsmith
Why would a nissan filter be better than a PureOne or Wix filter on my 2005 Titan or my 2009 Altima?

It's not better ... probably worse IMO.

I've used Motorcraft (same as Purolator) and NAPA Gold (same as WIX) on my 04 Altima 3.5L V6 and they work great. No cold startup noises. Plan on using a Purolator PureONE next oil change. I wouldn't use a Nissan OEM after seeing the inside construction. They may flow well, but who knows how they filter or if they might fail from crummy construction ... and they are pretty expensive for what they are IMO.

Not sure who makes the Nissan OEM oil filters, but their construction is similar to a FRAM (cardboard type material for end caps). Not sure what the filtering efficiency is or the type of media is used on them.

The Nissan filters probably work fine if used as intended (regular OCIs) ... but IMO there are better filters for less money out there.

Might want to read this thread:
http://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drive...lotsa-pics.html

The Nissan filters for my car are light years better then any aftermarket I`ve ever seen and they`re only $6. Mine are the "made in Japan" ones. They`re huge,heavy,and built like a tank!

I just looked at the MyG37 link. Those white Nissan filters are completely different then the blue Nissan filters I buy.

The only oil filters I can from the local Nissan dealer for my Altiam V6 are the crummy "Made in China" models. I refuse to use them and would rather buy a $5 PureONE or $7 NAPA Gold instead.

Originally Posted By: desertsmith
My nissan dealership says to use only nissan oil filters for long life protection. Why would a nissan filter be better than a PureOne or Wix filter on my 2005 Titan or my 2009 Altima?

Why do you think the dealership wants you to buy a Nissan filter? Who sells Nissan filters?

I'm running an Advance Auto Total Grip right now my 03 Altima 2.5L. Basically a Prem Plus with slightly less media and nice red texture for easy installation. Price was very right and it will be fine for 5k/6m OCI.

I wouldn't go out of my way for Nissan OEM with the likes of the value laden and quality Pure One out there. Even the MC Busa ran is a good choice.

If the price is right, Wix would work too.

Don't know about Nissan, but when I could find an AC for my truck, it had at least half again more filter area than anything else. The current l10193 has much less media in it than they used to, barely more than a Fram. Both have a dome end bypass.

I would cut a few filters open and make up my mind.

This is all you need for your Nissan fleet.

Napa Gold 1356. Made in the USA!

416f958e.jpg

Some of the Japanese filters made by Denso are of good quality. I do not know who makes the Nissan filter.

But I changed my mother inlaws oil this weekend and she had an OEM Honda filter. Why the outside looked impressive the inside was Fram - cardboard and all.

In this case OEM would be a worse filter and for more $$.

The last Nissan filter I got was from China and inside was kind of like the orange can....

The Japan made ones from a year ago were very well make.

Were can you find Japan made ones for a 03 Pathfinder?

I just noticed that the latest OEM Nissan filter for my wife's G35 says "made in China" while the one I took off was "Made in Japan"

I have serious concerns about the filter quality, but no evidence. I'll have to look through my stash... hopefully I don't have too many more.

Maybe I should go to Mobil 1? I already did that on my Q45 after Nissan downgraded the 60U00 filter to the 55Y00 after years of stating that the 60U00 was a necessary upgrade on their higher performance engines.

Heath

Switch to a Pure One filter.....best bang for the buck along with top notch filtering ability.

Originally Posted By: Q451990
I just noticed that the latest OEM Nissan filter for my wife's G35 says "made in China" while the one I took off was "Made in Japan"

I have serious concerns about the filter quality, but no evidence. I'll have to look through my stash... hopefully I don't have too many more.

As I mention above in this thread - might want to read this and make up your own mind about Nissan OEM filters:
http://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drive...lotsa-pics.html

Just to bring up an oil thread in case people look up this thread for new info on Nissan Oil Filters.

As for most Nissan's use the 15208-9E01A Oil FIlter.

as of the date of my post the following is true and correct

1. The Nissan Filter is made in Mexico. Not China or Japan
2. Filter has Metal End Caps not cardboard as stated in an earlier post.
3. Does have Silicone Anti Drain Gasket
4. Uses Stamp steal spring, not coil spring.
5. Uses a cellulose blend material not synthetic

All and all its a pretty decent filter. I have used these filters over the years on various Nissan's I have owned. Never had a problem. I just don't like the price. Usually around $6.50 a filter where I feel you can buy as good if not better designed filter for less money (Rock Auto Prices). Example Beck/Arnley is $3.50 (Rock Auto).

Nissan does press to use their filters, as do any manufacture. What gets me though is Nissan or other Car Manufacturers don't even make the filters. A 3rd party makes them to their spec. Additionally, the above mentioned Nissan Part number oil filter is used throughout the line of Nissan's so they are NOT vehicle specific. I see nothing "special" about them to warrant paying more money. Maybe if they were made in the USA and I was supporting our economy? Maybe I would. But Wix and other brands ARE made in the USA and to some? That means something.

Now someone here may say USA made? Your buying a Nissan??? Well many of their vehicles are built right here in the USA. So if an American worker put their sweat and tears into building my car? Good enough for me
11.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm sure a lot has changed in 11 years.

Guaranteed to be locked soon ... Mods don't like old threads being resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back