Topping off with different brand of oil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did the 6 month oil change on my '98 F150 w/4.6L. I thought I had the WM 5 qt jug + 1 qt of Havoline 5W30. When I looked in the cabinet in the garage, no single quart. I did have a quart of Castrol GTX 5W30 so I used that rather than drive to the parts store for Havoline. Will this make any difference?

I should add that I only drive it about 2500 mi every 6 mo. I try to do the changes at season changes, which aren't drastic here in Tennessee.

Last edited:
I try not to do this, but if I needed one more quart to complete the change, I would go right ahead and use whatever I had on hand.
The engine won't know and won't care.
Now, if I had a car I knew required regular top-ups, I would have some of the oil I used for the change on hand for top-ups. I think you otherwise defeat the purpose in selecting a particular oil.

Last edited:
I have been topping of my pickup with a 2 year old bottle of formula shell, and I have NEVER used FS in a OCI.

Should not matter at all.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I once put about half a dozen different oil brands in my engine just for kicks. Nothing happened.

It's funny, as I have about 4 qts mix of some MC, Castriol Syntec and PP, all in 5W-20 flavour, that were left over from my OC's, that I have been collecting for about 2 years. I just can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good oil like this. So I'm planning to put this elixir on my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I once put about half a dozen different oil brands in my engine just for kicks. Nothing happened.

It's funny, as I have about 4 qts mix of some MC, Castriol Syntec and PP, all in 5W-20 flavour, that were left over from my OC's, that I have been collecting for about 2 years. I just can't bring myself to throw away perfectly good oil like this. So I'm planning to put this elixir on my next oil change.

madman

I just returned from a trip to Moab, UT towing my Jeep/trailer with my 5.4L F150. I ran 4 qts of NAPA conventional 5W20 and 2 qts of leftover Quaker State Q-Torquepower 5W30. She did fine, even up the Rockies with my foot to the floor!

Alamogunr,
Rest assured! As everyone has mentioned here, your good to go. Longer even, than 2500 miles in 6 monthes. Both Havoline and Castrol are top quality oil and mixing them together did no harm. I've been mixing oils for over 30 years and never had an oil related engine failure. Years ago I mixed due to lack of money and I'd take anything for an oil/filter change. Today, I mix because I have so many different brand name qts of dino and syn oil purchaced on sale/rebate/closeout/FAR that I often have what I call, "Orphan Qts". What are ya supposed to do with these odd qts? Well, Mixem', Right? Plus I like to make my own syn blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back