Changing valve stem seals on Camry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
a good air supply into the spark plug hole. Yes.

+1

I rigged a "valve popper" from a hose from a compression tester (the gauge had broken) and stuck a NPT air chuck on the other end with a hose clamp.

They make a device that hooks to your air compressor and has the right threads for the model that will hold the valve in place while you work. Are you sure it needs new seals? That is a lot of work to get to them if you do not need them. I have found that normaly the valve stem seals on Toyota's tend to last as long as the guides unless the engine was dirty for a long time as sludge and carbon desposits will kill seals faster then you can blink! maybe it would be worth a try if you ahve not done so to try Auto-Rx first. It can not hurt the worst thing would be you still needed to change them.

Sometimes they come unseated and simply pressing them back into place is all that is needed.

I have had great luck with TRW made seals and gaskets. Their was a time when the TRW kits where so cheap that I would order a complete rebuild kit then chuck the pistons and cam for ones of my choice in place of buying things seperately. So if you are not going to use OEM TRW and Knoch both used to make nice seals for most of Toyota's applications!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Are you sure it needs new seals? maybe it would be worth a try if you ahve not done so to try Auto-Rx first.
It emits a puff of white smoke everytime i turn it on when the engine's cold

You can probably depress the valves springs by hand, with no tool.
But a tool is nice!
As mentioned, a piece of nylon rope jammed into the cylinder will work well. Put the engine 90 deg BTDC first. Then turn the engine so the piston jams the rope tight against the valves.
When you don't have a compressor and adapters, this is a great alternative.

I think stuffing rope in the cylinder was the best method, turned out i ran out of time and couldn't get back to it until next weekend, happy i didn't use the air hose that time. Pushing the springs down by hand would be pretty [censored] hard, but make sure you have someone there with a magnet to catch the keepers, those things can fly off and good luck finding them. I tried the average spring compressor, but found out they were too big and wouldn't let me compress them. What i did was take a cheap pair of harbor freight long needle nose pliers and welded them so the tips would lay on outside of the top washer and pushed down. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back