Coolant bypass install questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am installing a coolant bypass on my son's F150 soon, I have flushed and cleaned and still see residual brown stuff in the coolant...they previous owner abviously ran just water the last few months....

So the question is...shuld I stick with stainless only or can I use brass on my connections?

Brass should be fine. I've had a coolant filter set-up on my truck for several years using brass and have had no issues.

I'll post picks of the kit I put on our F150 Tomorrow. My bracket mounts where the Power steering bracket is. Uses OEM mounting location and Hardware. I use an Alum T on my 6.0 Powerstroke kits so I used the same Alum T in the heater hose on the F150 to.

I'll post some pics. I use Baldwin CB5000 base and Baldwin B5134 filters

I actually was going to use the fender mount area where the bracket holding the jack ect.....I would be interested in the power steering mount though

I'm not familiar with the F150 ..FWIW .. I found a convenient spot on My 03 Chevy 2500HD Duramax to mount a CB5000/B5134 behind the front grill... pics here

Last edited:
We install coolant filters for Duramax, Cummins and PSD engine mainly to filter sand casting from the manufacturing process. With modern EGR coolers and them working in conjunction with the oil cooler we find it more then nessasary to use them. Over the years I have seen the Modular engines have excessive amounts of casting metals. My first filter change at 3000 miles had a full filter of castings. In my webshots I also have a filter cut open from a 6.0 PSD with 6000 miles on the truck and about 3200 on the Coolant filter. If you guys would like I will post the pics?

Looks like a nice collection of grit there. The disturbing (and encouraging) part is that it's not sunk out in the bottom of the water jacket. The good part is the ability to filter it out. The disturbing part is having it sand blast everything that it comes in contact with without a filter installed.

Over time it can do some pretty bad damage especially on the 6.0 EGR and Oil coolers. Its not to good and Water pumps either. We find debris in all brand that we put them on but the ford PSD and the modulars seem to be the worst though.

This set essentially filters all of the coolant. Using an oil filter will probably filter the same amount of particles as a coolant filter does. I use the baldwin base as they are easy to make brackets for and I really like their filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back