5w20 in 10w30 engine? How much Damage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got free 12 bottles of 5w20 Quaker state synthetic from a friend who got rid of his Honda. My car requires 10w30 but I put 5w20 in there. I burns a little more than 10w30 and the engine runs a little rougher. How much damage can I do by putting in a very light engine oil?

If you're noticing burning and a rougher engine, why are you even chancing it? To save a couple of bucks? I would dump the oil and put in what the manufacture calls for.

Dont dump the oil fill, just dump in a bottle of STP to get this fill to the thickness you need it.

For future fills, mix the 5W-20 50:50 with 10W-40. That will basicall get you a 10W-30.

Add one bottle of 15w-40 when it's down a quart. That's all it will take to bring it back to a 30 grade.

Originally Posted By: jigen
If you're noticing burning and a rougher engine, why are you even chancing it? To save a couple of bucks? I would dump the oil and put in what the manufacture calls for.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Um, what kind of car do you have that calls for 10W-30?

1999 Hyundai Elantra. The 2006+ Elantra's require 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Add one bottle of 15w-40 when it's down a quart. That's all it will take to bring it back to a 30 grade.

Thank you. Does Amsoil even make a 15w40 auto? Can I put their diesel oil in my car?

Last edited:
Sure, but it's not what I'd use to do what you need to accomplish. I missed that you've got a synthetic in there. I'd just go to Wally's and pick up a quart of RTS. Most Wally's carry it in quarts. Unless you have a local dealer who has it on hand, you can change the oil for the minimum S&H plus the price of the quart (well, a good bit toward it).

Buy a gallon of RTS for $19+/- and use it to blend with your 5w-20 until it's gone.

I just put 2q of 5w-20 and 1q of 30 in my Mom's 1996 VW Passat. I don't expect any problems. She takes all short trips. It's a once a year change, so come summer I'll add some MLEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back