What is Honda/Acura HTO-06?

I have read the the HTO Honda spec required a maximum level of high tempeture deposits i.e. a stable high tempeture requirement. I will post if I can locat the HTO spec. Pennzoil Platinm 5w30 was the first oil to pass this spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have read the the HTO Honda spec required a maximum level of high tempeture deposits i.e. a stable high tempeture requirement. I will post if I can locat the HTO spec. Pennzoil Platinm 5w30 was the first oil to pass this spec.

True, but actually Mobil 1 was the first to greatly pass and exceed the spec. In order to reach it, you might trade off some other properties.

what questioner was trying to ask i believe is, what criteria(s) an oil has to meet to be called "HTO-6" compliant?

for example Mobil 1 5W-30 meets this specification, but if you loot at Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 technical data and compare with Mobil 1 5W-30, there so little difference....

BUT EP 5W-30 doesn't say that it meets this spec, so I am really conFused now, how can two extremely similar oils does not meet the same spec, although both of them meet Chrysler, Ford & GM specs, only the one which is missing is the HTO-6 spec...

can anyone explain? please!

If the link Buster provided is proof of how Mobil 1 passes the spec, especially the back page, I have some waterfront property in south FLA> for sale. The fact EP 5-30 does not state it passes is your first clue. Hopefully you do not need a second one. The bovine poop goes on.

Honda/Acura provided the proof a few years back that Mobil1 was factory fill when the spec first came out. Pennzoil then met it. what's your point? What standard of proof do you need?

The M1 5-30EP meets the Vette spec but isn't recorded on the bottle, the same for the HTO spec. The EP oils are designed for the extra long OC crowd, which typically the turbo engines call for a shorter OCI.

Who has done this HTO-6 tests, where are test results of which oil made it and which did not?

If EP meets the criteria why would it not state that it meet HTO-6 specs as well just Mobil 1 5W-30?

or are we to believe that it does not? then the question would arise WHY? isn't EP suppose to be better and what would be lacking for it not meet that spec...

if anyone can address that, that will be much appreciated!

my friend Johnny, it shows Mobil 1 meets it but it does not name which synthetic fails the test...for what we know Synthetic Oil A, B & C in the chart could be Chevron, Motorcraft & Texaco?

like do we know from any other source which oil failed these tests, I do know the oils which meet this spec...how come EP does not states it meets this spec...some tantalizing questions
wink.gif

thanks!

You're right, we don't know for sure whether Syntec was tested. It was said by one individual that Syntec did perform poorly on the TEOST test. I never saw those results published.

EP would most meet that test, but it wasn't tested for.

Ibrahim said:
my friend Johnny, it shows Mobil 1 meets it but it does not name which synthetic fails the test...for what we know Synthetic Oil A, B & C in the chart could be Chevron, Motorcraft & Texaco?

like do we know from any other source which oil failed these tests, I do know the oils which meet this spec...how come EP does not states it meets this spec...some tantalizing questions
wink.gif

thanks![/quote
Two things.
1st M1 doesn't call out other oil companies by name.

2nd as I have already said the EP line is designed for up to 15000 mile OCIs. Turbos typically call for a much shorter OCI. XM advertises to the group an oil is designed for.

The Honda RDX is the only automobile produced by Honda and sold in the US with a Turbocharger. This is not an aftermarket Turbo - every RDX has one. Honda made this specification so the engine wouldn't coke up (IMO).

My wife has an RDX, so I've been on top of this from the begginning. Mobil 1 was the only approved oil initially, then came Pennzoil Platinum. Amsoil SSO was a more recently approved oil.

Here is a UOA I posted on Mobil 1 in an RDX.

They're two other oils that meet this spec.

76 Super Synthetic 5W-30
Kendall GT-1 Ultimate 5W-30

And Petro-Canada Turbo Synthetic 5W-30...

Hardly seems worth squabbling over a questionable OEM spec for one engine in one model that only sells 700 units a month.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Amsoil SSO was a more recently approved oil.

Just to clarify: This is a "recommended for" application. Which means that AMSOIL has had the oil tested to meet or exceed the spec. But the oil is not officially approved by Honda for use in this application.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
And Petro-Canada Turbo Synthetic 5W-30...

This oil is no longer made.

It was the only oil in the PC lineup that met the GM4718 standard.

Back