New (2010) Commercial Antivirus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC

The way I see it, I paid for the software so it is mine to use how I like.
Whatever you feel is the right thing is fine, I'm just not ok with it for me so I choose to buy a single license to get me the software so I can use it on my personally owned devices.

You paid for the right to install the software as explained in the EULA. You do not have the right to modify the EULA to suit your requirements, if you don't agree to the EULA, don't install the software, there's plenty of GNU software available.

I do the same for my copy of Office, Windows XP etc. I break the licensing problems and use it on all my personally owned devices... NO ONE is going to tell me what to do with something I purchased. Sorry.
31.gif

Sorry, you're STEALING SOFTWARE form ESET and Microsoft?

Do you own multiple copies of the same music CD? One for each player in your house? C'Mon... Don't tell me that is "Different" either...

I don't own "multiple copies" of the same CD and I don't illegally copy them, it isn't different, it's stealing.
I respect the Artist's and Developer's right to make a living.
What bothers me the most about your posts, is you seem to be proud, to be a software THIEF!
31.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DragRace
I can hardly sleep tonight, why? Well,I recently came across a 3-PC license for Kaspersky 8.0 for FREE,since I didnt have to pay for it(It was given to me
21.gif
)
I might feel guilty if I install it
crackmeup2.gif

Nice friend that gave you the software, as long as you install it on 3 systems or less sleep well!
54.gif

You are right I'm modifying the EULA... I could care less though... I don't agree with it, this is JMO and doesn't give me the right to but I do it anyways. Call it theft or whatever you want I will continue to do it until Software companies change the "EULA". Again I sleep easy at night... You go ahead and pay for each copy and you sleep easy with your decision too... Won't catch me doing that...
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
You are right I'm modifying the EULA... I could care less though... I don't agree with it, this is JMO and doesn't give me the right to but I do it anyways. Call it theft or whatever you want I will continue to do it until Software companies change the "EULA". Again I sleep easy at night... You go ahead and pay for each copy and you sleep easy with your decision too... Won't catch me doing that...
cheers3.gif

If you don't agree with the EULA don't install the software. How about someone stops by and modifies the ownership of your Hyundai, could you care less?
With your values the future is BLEAK!!

Give me a break folks. Can everyone here honestly say that they have never downloaded/shared an MP3 file or burned a copy of a DVD/CD? I buy legitimate copies of all of the software that I use, and even donate to developers of my favorite free programs, such as CCLeaner and Ad Muncher. I am also the first to admit that I have installed some of the programs that I have purchased on multiple computers. If you feel that this practice is unethical or immoral then so be it.

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
Give me a break folks. Can everyone here honestly say that they have never downloaded/shared an MP3 file or burned a copy of a DVD/CD? I buy legitimate copies of all of the software that I use, and even donate to developers of my favorite free programs, such as CCLeaner and Ad Muncher. I am also the first to admit that I have installed some of the programs that I have purchased on multiple computers. If you feel that this practice is unethical or immoral then so be it.

I have done abit of file-sharing and I sleep well every night
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

Personally, I don't feel the need to "bend the rules" for anti-virus products since there are more than one 100% free products that work at least as well as the commercial products and that generally have a much less obnoxious resource footprint.

So I use Avast and sleep like a baby.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Some of the new suites are coming out now. I got a good deal on Norton 2010 and decided to take the leap since I've heard they changed a bunch of stuff. I'll give them credit that they did a very nice job with the program without using a ton of resources.

Has anyone else gotten a new commercial security software suite lately, and how does it run?
I just picked up the 2010 version of "Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 3.0" today since last year's version is going to expire in about a week for me (and the other two computers it's on). I've had good luck with their other versions (on both XP and Vista) after switching from Norton, which gave me nothing but trouble (this brand also seems to catch more virus stuff and has better features, IMO). On the box, it says "20% smaller file size, 20% faster scan time" but I haven't installed it yet, so I guess we'll see. If I have any problems or notice any marked improvements, I'll report back.

Not well rated in fact at the bottom of the pile for detrerction and blocking. Get your money back. The two curent best are NIS 2010 and KIS 2010 fighting for top spot. NIS 2010 has the smallest footprint and uses less resouirces but both are top notch.

cheers3.gif

That's theft dude.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Not well rated in fact at the bottom of the pile for detrerction and blocking. Get your money back. The two curent best are NIS 2010 and KIS 2010 fighting for top spot. NIS 2010 has the smallest footprint and uses less resouirces but both are top notch.

NIS 2010 costs $69.99 and ~$49.99 to upgrade to the next version

Avira Premium Security Suite costs $59.50 and ~$53.95 to upgrade to the next version

In the AV Comparatives report published in August 2009, Avira outperforms Norton with the following exceptions:

False Detections:
Avira - 21
Norton - 13

Scan Speed:
Avira - 14.1 MB/s
Norton - 17.2 MB/s

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf

I will live with a few additional false detections and slightly longer scan times for Avira's higher detection rates. Avira has updated their AV engine at least 6 times since June, so I wouldn't be surprised if they outperform Norton in scan times and false positive detection rates since the AV Comparatives report was published.

Last edited:
Avast = FREE

I'm on the net a LOT as I do consulting for companies in the digital media delivery business. I've been using Avast for a couple of years now and I have NEVER been bitten by a virus.

So while the benchmark numbers are interesting, the free stuff is good enough to keep you out of trouble while still maintaining a very small cpu/memory footprint.

For folks that frequent pr0n sites, well....they might have special needs (ahem) and need to be extra vigilant. For the rest of the world, a sensible firewall config, a little common sense, and Avast is enough to keep you out of trouble without a dime spent.

AV comparatives is standalone AV testing, not a security suite which is what we are discussing, a totally different animal altogether. AVAST is OK but not the same level of protection as integrated suite, it is just that an AV. My engineers did a lot of testing before pointing me to uninstalling Panda Platinum Internet Security and trialling NIS 2009. Before I ran SAS, Malwarebytes, a-squared, SpywareDoctor 4.1, AVAST, and PREVX (most IT pro's use PREVX) and they all regularly found infections. Since upgrading to NIS nothing found and I have removed all bar Malwarebyte's for a check every three days (still nothing). A few engineers are testing KIS 2010 at work and say it is more customisable than NIS 2010 so that remains a possibility. Free is OK for what it does but it can't beat an integrated solition tied in to the mail client and web. This a good check for any system.

http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

*shrug*

This is one of the reasons I try to counsel people to just get off the Windows merry-go-round. When you've got to keep that level of resources trained on the problem just so you can connect to the net without getting hacked, it's time to stop playing the game. I've got my wife now using an Ubuntu Linux laptop without ANY training from me whatsoever. She's been using it on the net and for typical M$ Office work (using openoffice 3.1) without incident. Other than the standard integrated firewall it isn't running ANY anti-virus/malware bits at all and it's clean as a whistle so far after a month of steady online usage.

A secure OS + common sense goes a long way. People's expectations have become so low that they don't even blink at having to spend another $100 after buying a $600 computer just so they can use it online with some modicum amount of safety. And for an added bonus, they now get to piddle resources away on anti-virus/malware scanning duties instead of using that computer for the tasks they intended. Imagine the rioting in the streets if people who bought $30,000 cars were told they needed to spend another $5000 once they got it home to secure their property or else it wasn't safe to drive it on the streets because people could just jump in and go joyriding with impunity?

Common sense is key to safe browsing. I'm amazed at how much nastyware invades the PC's for people who don't use their computer all that much. Of all the years of browsing the internet, and I'm on it 24/7 it seems, I can count on one hand the number of virus incidents in my home for 2 people.

It's behavioral, not necessarily technical. When you get an email with the header "Let your friends be jealous of your luxurious watch!" or "Re: Check out my cam!", then you click on the link...well, you deserve it. And I deserve the $$$ to come fix your computer.

--Delete any emails where you don't know the sender
--to be extra cautious: use text-only email. Did PINE users ever suffer from PDF's that were tainted?
--Always keep your O.S & apps patched
--Run as standard user, not adminstrator
--Always have a decent password for admin & user accounts
--In Vista/Win7 keep UAC on (not always needed, but a good thing tho)
--NEVER run IE to browse the web w/o a safe destination, use an alternate web browser. Google Chrome has the right idea as it sandboxes processes. IE in Vista 64/Win7 64 does that for the most part as well but the dreaded ActiveX exploits keep me from ever recommending it as a full-time browser.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

--to be extra cautious: use text-only email. Did PINE users ever suffer from PDF's that were tainted?

LOL. Real men (Tm) use rmail from inside Emacs. :)

Quote:

--NEVER run IE to browse the web w/o a safe destination, use an alternate web browser. Google Chrome has the right idea as it sandboxes processes. IE in Vista 64/Win7 64 does that for the most part as well but the dreaded ActiveX exploits keep me from ever recommending it as a full-time browser.

Amen. If you like Chrome, you'll love SRware's Iron. It's Chrome + adblocking and without bits that phone home to Google.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

I use that or the latest stable Firefox (3.5.3 as of today) exclusively when I must run Windows. I agree with your assessment of IE. Just say no.

Best,

Originally Posted By: sprintman
AV comparatives is standalone AV testing, not a security suite which is what we are discussing, a totally different animal altogether. AVAST is OK but not the same level of protection as integrated suite, it is just that an AV. My engineers did a lot of testing before pointing me to uninstalling Panda Platinum Internet Security and trialling NIS 2009. Before I ran SAS, Malwarebytes, a-squared, SpywareDoctor 4.1, AVAST, and PREVX (most IT pro's use PREVX) and they all regularly found infections. Since upgrading to NIS nothing found and I have removed all bar Malwarebyte's for a check every three days (still nothing). A few engineers are testing KIS 2010 at work and say it is more customisable than NIS 2010 so that remains a possibility. Free is OK for what it does but it can't beat an integrated solition tied in to the mail client and web. This a good check for any system.

http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

The AV Comparatives test included malware and spyware detection. I use Avira Antivir Premium because I see little value in the suite version. As far as I can tell the only additional functionality provided by the suite versions of NIS 2010 & Avira Premium Security Suite are as follows:

Avira: http://www.avira.com/en/solutions/home_home_office.html
Anti-Spam (I use filters in Gmail)
Firewall (My Windows 7 Pro RTM is set to filter outbound)
Game Mode (Not an issue)
Backup (I use Backblaze)
AntiBot (My Windows 7 Pro RTM is set to filter outbound)
Parental Control (Not an issue)

Norton: http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security
Anti-Spam
Parental Control
Monitors Wifi/Network (Encryption & Mac filtering anyone?)
Blocks Phishing Sites (Standard in Avira Premium)
Identifies Keyloggers (Standard in Avira Premium)
Identified Unsafe Sites (Standard in Avira Premium)
Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back