10w-40 for VQ35DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I've been running 5w-30 in my 350Z since the day I brought it home and now that I'm getting into autocross and road racing I am considering switching to a thicker oil to protect from high revving. I have been using Royal Purple and love it so I am getting RP 10w-40, are there any negative side effects I should look out for? I live in sunny South FL so I don't have to deal with cold climates. Also, what are your recommendations on filters? I am currently using a Purolator PureOne.

welcome.gif

You should have no problem running 10w-40 in your car. It's one of the three oils that's actually specified in the manual for current VQ35s (you have been reading your manual, right...
tongue.gif
). Be careful of this site, it's very addictive. Your Z may end up collecting dust in the garage. Seriously though, I recommend you check out the used oil analysis (UOA) section, below. I have posted several analysis results from my G35 (VQ35 also, as I'm sure you know). The general pattern you'll see emerge with the VQs is that they seem to really prefer slightly thicker oils than many mainstream cars do. I've been using what we here call "GC" or German Castrol. If you haven't noticed yet, this stuff has near-legendary status here at BITOG. It's a thicker 30 wt (actually, it's a 0w-30, by thicker, I mean it's thickness when hot), and really seems to keep the VQ happy. Anyway, spend a while sifting through some of the results. There are several active members who are VQ owners and who have shared UOA results. Again, welcome.
cheers.gif

I'm up to 15,000 on my 350Z and have been using Chevron 10W-30 (summer) and 5W-30 (winter) w/ a K&N filters since my first oil change. I was thinking about going synthetic.

I live in Illinois, where it's just starting to become really cold out (if that has any bearing on anything).

I drive at least 61 total miles per day, most of that is highway driving.

Ekpolk, you seem to like the 0W-30 GC. Whereabouts could I purchase some? Or, should I just stick with the Chevron dino oil?

Hmmmmmm, I might have an idea about where you could find a quart or two. . . Actually, just go to this forum and look around. Plenty of discussion of this question there. In summary, the only place in the US is Autozone, in Canada, Walmart too.

Any other 0W-30 synthetics you'd reccommend? I was looking at Amsoil's "Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil".

Mr. Fork,

The Esso XD3 0W-40 also works well in VQ engines, just like Mobil 1 0W-40 and German Castrol. Pick whichever is cheapest and easiest to get. (I'll be using GC in my VQ as soon as my Auto-Rx rinse oil is done.)

Zardoz, most around here will say that the Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w30 has a better additive package, and is heartier in the longer run than the Series 2000 0w30 is.

In my opinion, either one of these oils is also a good choice, as I've used both, and had great results with both.

I would be inclined to run Esso XD3, 0w30, not 0w40 in that VQ, particularly over the Calgary winters.

I have a 95 Maxima with the VQ30DE engine and am switching to Esso XD30, 0w30, PAO full synthetic in about 900 miles, following my AutoRX rinse phase.

The 0w30 will be fine for the cold startups and thick enough at operating temperature to run year round.

Again, I see no need to go to 0w40 in your climate.

Dad2leia, The Amsoil HDD Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 oil is listed as "Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil", but it's still ok to use in my car?

$8.75 per quart? Wow.

About using Auto-Rx. Is this REALLY needed, considering I have such low mileage & the dino oil has never change darker in color or anything like that. I assume my engine is pretty clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back