Castrol Edge 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think my Odyssey 3.5L VTEC will like 5W30 Edge next summer? I have only used 5W20 in it since I have purchased it 12k miles ago. I am itching to buy some Edge on sale from AAP but this is the only vehicle I have that I will use it in. Don't know much about VTEC so that is why I am asking.

Also debating on either dumping current Maxlife Blend at 5k miles or let it go to the 7500 OCI. Honda OEM filters are all I use since I get them for $2.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Edge would be a great oil to use, as it is a very, very thin 30-weight (9.8cst/100C).

M1 5-30EP is 11.0/ 100C. I did a UOA last year with 10,000 mile OCI and it was still 10+. Holds it wt. well. Just a thought.

Vtec will not be affected by oil viscosity, at least within reasonable limits, as it's electronically controlled. The 5-30 is perfectly fine for your J series. And I think Edge would be more than adequate for 7500 miles. I'd probably leave the maxlife in that long as well.

I'm not a fan of the Honda filters, but for two bucks that's probably what I'd be running as well.

QHP 5w20 is 8.68cst at 100C. So edge is pretty thin for a 30w at under 10. PP is 10.3 QHP is 10.5 and QTP is 10.6

Last edited:
Being that you specifically stated Summer, the thin 5-30 Edge should be great.
But like modern anti lock brake systems and auto transmissions, fluid viscosity can be important in variable valve timing systems.
This always deserves a second or third thought when going thicker.

My Yaris is sensitive to viscosity in the proper operation of the VVti, I think vtec would be less so. Edge is a very thin 30wt so afa weight goes, NP. The regular 5w30 syntec was not well received in my Yaris and will be changing it out ASAP < 2K miles.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Yaris is sensitive to viscosity in the proper operation of the VVti, I think vtec would be less so. Edge is a very thin 30wt so afa weight goes, NP. The regular 5w30 syntec was not well received in my Yaris and will be changing it out ASAP < 2K miles.

you don't you like the Edge 5w30 in your car? Does it call for a 20w?

The VTEC will have no problems with any oil you run, I have run HDEO in accords with no problems at all, now I try to stick with a 5-20, or 5-30 because you can catch these oils on sale much easier now than when the 5-20 first came out. Honda makes a fine engine, the VTEC is great as well, it's been said to be a poor mans turbo, however I think now it's more designed for fuel economy than power in mind.

Save your receipt. Castrol has a $15 rebate on a purchase of 5 one quart bottles, and a $10 rebate on a purchase of 1 five quart jug. I don't know what the rules are on posting links, but just go to their website.

Last edited:
Kari, I think maybe our Edge in the USA is different than yours. The name Edge is brand new to our market, and the oil companies always seem to bottle different products for Europe and USA.

Ya, I heard Euro edge is VW 507 00 and the US edge is not. I suspect Euro edge is Gr 5 and US edge is gr 3. I guess you get what you pay for (and I paid zero after rebate today).

Quote:
The Castrol Edge product that we formulate here in North America is not to
be mistaken for the European Castrol Edge product. Our Castrol Edge product
is a completely different formula that contains a different mix of base oils
and additives and it does not meet any Volkswagen engine warranty
requirements.

+1
My '99 Accord seems perfctly happy with 15W-50, which I bought becuase Meijer and Target clearanced M1 EP 15W-50 dirt cheap.
I figured that if the engine really didn't seem to like it, I could always use it up by mixing it with M1 5W-20.
WRT VTEC being the poor man's turbo, maybe so.
In my Accord, the shift happens at around 4K, and the thing then rushes for the redline in any gear through 3rd.
Any Honda I have ever driven needs revs to make power and if you recognize the need to downshift, high speed acceleration is strong.
A fun car to drive, if you like driving a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back