Recommend Trans fluid that meets Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

What off the shelf synthetic Transmission fluid would you recommend in lieu of using Honda ATF-Z1? I was thinking of using Mobil 1?

If you are dead set against using the Z-1, probably Amsoil. It is the only alternative that seems to please the users who switch.

There are several. M1, Amsoil, Castol Import. There don't seem to be bad experiences, or at least not any more than there would be with Z1.

They don't have any Honda dealers in MA? You can also get it at a Saturn dealer (until they fold up their tents) since 1st generation Saturn VUEs with the 3.5L Honda engine used Honda Z1 fluid. The Saturn dealer will have repackaged Z1, though I can't remember the part number offhand.

When the time comes for my 07 Honda, I think i will try Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF.

Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III

Pennzoil has an import multi-vehicle ATF that says recommended for Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT).

I think I'm going to use the Mityvac and suck out a gallon at every oil change and replace it with the PZ stuff. I'll post results.

I've been putting the Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF in my Honda's and it's been working fantastically.

If I did not have to buy it buy the case, I would. No one around me sells it by the quart and it only takes 3.5 quarts to drain and fill the Element.

I might add my wife's Element has the Amsoil ATF in it and it also works well.

The only fluid that meets the Honda spec is Honda's own fluid.

The other fluids are "recommended" by the oil maker for your car. They'll likely do a find job, but they have not been tested and do not meet the spec.

There are countless Honda Odyssey owners using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in thier Z-1 spec'd Odys. Maxlife is a "suitable for Z-1 use" ATF per it's specs. Obviously none are going to be approved by Honda. Keep in mind the Odyssey has probably the worst track record in regards to transmission longevity and Maxlife does excellent in them. There's not a single failure report of one running Maxlife that I've seen.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
There are countless Honda Odyssey owners using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in thier Z-1 spec'd Odys. Maxlife is a "suitable for Z-1 use" ATF per it's specs. Obviously none are going to be approved by Honda. Keep in mind the Odyssey has probably the worst track record in regards to transmission longevity and Maxlife does excellent in them. There's not a single failure report of one running Maxlife that I've seen.

Joel

+1

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
When the time comes for my 07 Honda, I think i will try Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF.

Another vote for Valvoline MaxLife... this is the next ATF I'm going to try in my Corolla. My Walmart has it for ~$3.75 a quart. Valvoline claims its synthetic or mostly synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

The other fluids are "recommended" by the oil maker for your car. They'll likely do a find job, but they have not been tested and do not meet the spec.

Not to get overly technical, but if they have not been tested, how do you know they do not meet the spec? We don't know whether they do or do not. All we can really say is that their manufacturers have not paid for the certification to prove they meet the spec.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

I don't believe Honda releases specs nor grant licenses for their Z1. So Honda's Z1 is the only ATF that will meet their spec. Same with Toyota's T-IV and WS fluids.

But additive companies like Lubrizol do test their ATFs and universal ATFs in real transmissions.

Last edited:
I also believe Amsoil warranties the transmission if it goes bad using their ATF if the Amsoil guide listed that ATF for the transmission and the transmission was sound to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back