How does oil get on the cylinder wall to lubricate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question I've always wondered but never seen a good answer to. How does oil get between the piston rings and cylinder walls to lubricate?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
As oil is squeezed past the rod bearing it is slung onto the cylinder wall.

'Bout as good as you're gonna get.

Bob

Would a crankscraper assembly prevent oil from getting up there?

Really? I always pictured this:

full-flow-oil-filter.jpg

(Oil is in yellow)

Not really. Some rods have an oil journal running from the rod big end to the wrist pin in the piston to supply oil to the pin. Most pistons run an oil drain hole in the oil groove to the pin as well. There is no pressurized oil being fed to the ring groove

Rings are lubed from all of the oil mist being pumped/thrown around in the crank case. It is a lot easier to have too much oil instead of not enough.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

That is showing the wrong flow direction for the filter.

Lol did not notice that. I was using that pic to illustrate the oil going through the con rods to the pistons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher
Not really. Some rods have an oil journal running from the rod big end to the wrist pin in the piston to supply oil to the pin. Most pistons run an oil drain hole in the oil groove to the pin as well. There is no pressurized oil being fed to the ring groove

Rings are lubed from all of the oil mist being pumped/thrown around in the crank case. It is a lot easier to have too much oil instead of not enough.

So could it be said that engines utilizing pressurized oil systems are still partially splash lubricated?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ

So could it be said that engines utilizing pressurized oil systems are still partially splash lubricated?

Make that "spray" lubricated, but yes.

With rare exceptions, cylinders and pins are still splash lubed, though I'm not sure if you would call it splash as it's flung from the side leakage from the rod bearings.

There's oil being whipped around by the crank from the cam area in pushrod engines. In my factory turbo setup, the turbo drains into the valley area of the block and with the volume of oil that goes through there, I'm sure a significant amount makes it's way to the rotating assembly to be flung about though I'm sure not evenly.

My SRT-4 has oil squirters but I don't think they are there for lubrication, I don't think they even get any oil inbetween the rings. I think it's there for cooling and preventing knock.

oil squirter's function is to cool the piston. The cylinder doesn't require much oil, that's why the piston has an oil control ring.

Think about how much oil is being supplied to a cylinder in a 2-stroke with the oil/gas at 50:1, not much.

Yes

The oil squirters on my PT GT are to cool the bottom of the pistons.

The squirters don't "squirt" as we may imagine it. It kinda flings drops of oil to the underside of the piston. At least this is how the engine designers explained it to me at Chrysler.

Pistons are splash lubricated.
Middle rings are tapered to let oil get above them.
Oil control rings are gauged to let some get by.
But it is vacuum that draws oil up and into where it belongs.
Also, the rings kinda pump oil around them. They are moving in and out, and up and down.
This is why some test show light oil lubricates the rings and lands better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back