Locktite on the differential cover bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to pop the cover off the rear differential on my Isuzu. I will be putting all together tomorrow.
Factory RTV was gray in color, I am using Permatex Super Black. Have a question about the bolts. The cover is aluminum, after I pulled the bolts out, I noticed that they seem to have red locktite on them, on the top part, about 2/3 of the way up the shaft. This does not make sense, since that part of the bolt would be inside the non-threaded cover, not the differential itself. Am I missing something????

BTW I scraped all the old silicone off, hit mating surfaces with 70% rubbing alcohol, tomorrow degrease with brake cleaner and alcohol one more time, then RTV and bolt it down... Any pointers?? First time working on the differential.

I assume I need to wait 24 hours before filing up the differential with oil.

The drain/fill plugs did not have crush washers, just threaded plugs with a square hole for a 3/8 ratchet. Should I put a strip of Teflon tape on the threads (hesitant to do it)?The dealer did the 30K mile service, I am doing the 60K. There was no tape on the plugs when I took them out, I just do not see how they can seal w/o washers or tape.

I have Isuzu FSM, it did not mention anything about Teflon tape or locktite. In fact, other that mentioning tightening torque for the bolts, not a word about taking the cover off or reinstalling it.

Thanks for the help!

BTW old oil was 4 years old, had about 25K miles on it. It smelled surprisingly OK, I expected much worse. No water, still looked clear, magnets on the plugs had some fine metal paste, but not a whole lot. I am replacing it with ST 75-90 GL5 Synthetic blend with a tube of GM-approved LSD additive. Manual calls for 80W-90 in the rear, 75w-90 in the front, I am doing 75W-90 in both.

Last edited:
Liquid Teflon? Are we talking about plumbers putty?
I scrubbed the threads with a rag. anything else I could do?

I don't think the locktite is needed. I've never used it on the diff cover bolts. I've also never used any thread tape or anything else on the fill plug. Just clean everything up good and use the Permatex Ultra Black RTV. No need to wait 24 hours to dry either, I filled the diff in my Rodeo after about an hour.

slinky--thank you! Axiom has the same rear as Rodeo, so your input is much appreciated. Ultra Black RTV is what I have, IIRC It is outside under the carport, along with car. I put cover on with a couple of bolts overnight. Sucks not to have a garage.

So Rodeo drain/fill plugs did not have any washers either? Going by the direction on the Permatex package, I need to put RTV on, hand tighten the bolts, wait for an hour, then tighten another 1/2 a turn. If I can get it in there, I'll use my torque wrench for the final squeeze. I can add oil in after a a coupe of hours? That would be nice, it is my wife's car, she'd have it by Monday. Sorry, I've done valve covers, but not differential covers.

I use blue loctite on the diff cover bolts. Takes a few extra minutes to clean the bolts & holes but never a leak.

Last edited:
You better not use locktite on those lightly torqued differential cover bolts.
Wasteful and asking for removal problems.
A little Teflon tape won't hurt on the fill plug. Usually not necessary with good pipe threads in a non pressure environment.
As you noted, a good cleaning and plenty of dry time will endure a leak free job.

I'd run out there and get all the bolts at least started. If you got RTV across or in the bolt holes that'll be tougher when it's all dry.

I have done a fair number of diff covers over the years. Never used loctite or thread sealant.
Also with thread sealer you are asking for contamination problems.

I use loctite on fasterners and thread sealer on NPT fittings in general, but not in this application. Never ever had a problem on axle covers leaking, or having loose cover bolts. This includes vehicles in shops I have worked on in years past.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd run out there and get all the bolts at least started. If you got RTV across or in the bolt holes that'll be tougher when it's all dry.

I have not applied any RTV yet. Vehicle was parked outside overnight, so put the cover on just to keep the crud out of the differential.

I have not opened the Locktite tube yet, so I'll take it back. I'll spend the next hour cleaning out all the bolts and holes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

Also with thread sealer you are asking for contamination problems.

That was my concern with using Teflon tape. I just do not see how a simple threaded plug won't leak without it. It worked for the past 7 years without the tape, so maybe I am over-analyzing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You better not use locktite on those lightly torqued differential cover bolts.
Wasteful and asking for removal problems.

Sorry...WRONG...blue loctite prevents removal problems like galling and seizing and is NEVER wasteful. Most of the diff bolts I have worked with get 30-40 ft.lbs of torque.

Never mind. A 30 minute job became a three day job. After I trained the differential lube yesterday, I managed to drop the cap from the new bottle inside the differential. Off came the cover. Cleaned everything today, was about to put RTV on, counted all bolts, plugs--one of the drain plugs is missing. Looked everywhere for 2 hours--nothing. All bolts and plugs were in my pocket. Still have them all but one plug. NAPA does not have it. Carquest does not have it. Tomorrow will call the dealer and one more parts place. In the meantime, I covered the differential gears with a clean rag. Have to take the cover in to make sure threads match.

I hate working on cars. Why do I even do it????

Your psychotic tendencies exceed even mine.....just kidding.
13.gif

You work on cars because you just love to post on BTOG.

Update. Found the doggone plug. It was stuck to the bottom of the Brake Cleaner can (magnetic plug). I looked at that can 10 times yesterday. I was lucky I found it. Dealer did not have one, 10 days to get one in.
Oh well, gave me time to take ST Gear lube back and pick up 2 bottles of Valvoline Duralube 80w-90 Syn blend instead.
Dry fitted the cover and ALL bolts and plugs on tonight. I won't have time to mess with it till Wednesday. Too busy at work--training a new accountant and half of my staff is gone.

Last edited:
When I took the cover off my car (Chev.)there was a paper gasket and no sealant on the gasket or bolts. I put the thing back together just like it came apart without even using the new gasket that I had bought and so far, it hasn't leaked a drop (several years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back