Castrol GTX Good? Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it because it always on sale at local wal marts $8.88/4L. It always serves me well for the price.
I am going to make the switch to PYB due to its much lower pour point spec and more robust add pack. I just gotta wait longer for it to go on sale up here.

The good
it always seems thicker and has that good golden color (not blue re-refined color) you like from a premium oil. It films well for long periods when you rub it between your fingers. It seems to like heat and does not break down.
The bad
It turns brown fast so its hard to know if it is used up.yeah I know ,color has no bearing on oci's.
Its is overpriced. There are better choices.
It is not needed on most vehicles unless you live in the desert.. I would only use it on small high reving engines , turbos , or supercharged motors.
I would use it on hyped up 60's, 70's street cars.
I would use it on a trip if I were towing too.

all in all , i would use synthetic. pp or st over it

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yes I'm back... I will take the licks for it...

It was the overwhelming response by e-mail and PM of my apparent fan-base that brought me back.

Uh,I didn`t even know you went any where Stevie.
54.gif

Oh BTW,Pep-Boy`s in my area has a special right now 5qts of Castrol GTX with an oil filter (sorry,I didn`t catch what brand)for $10 something.

Last edited:
It's a great oil. A lot of people just talk bad about it because of the price. They really have nothing bad to say about it. I used it for 8 years (GTX 10W-30) and it held everything together. Even my NA 3.0 DOHC 24 valve engine that hit 7300RPM all the friggin' time. It held more sensible engines together too, such as the GM 3800. And everything in between, like lawnmowers or friends' vehicles. Now I use RTS 5W-40, because I have a thing for it.

It is definitely a good oil, people on this site just seem to talk down upon it, but not because of UOA's, only because of price. You think they'd be talking about Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc., but they like to target GTX. And I wonder if it's because of an old timer fallacy just like PYB and the wax back in the day. Castrol had some stories, too.

I run GTX in my parents silverado and occasionaly in my uncles jeep.

Jeeps going on 225k with no major problems and the silverado is hitting 60k here soon.

Good oil.

Just the extra 2 or 3 dollars kills it for me.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
The only reason I wouldn't use GTX is because it costs (a bit) more than other oils that will work as well.

Great oil, not so great price usually.
If I could get it for less than $2/quart, Id pick some up.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
GTX is a good oil! It bothers me that they charge more than other brands.
+1 Used to be a better value than other dino's. Then Motorcraft Syn Blend came along at a great price so I switched. Now Quaker State, PYB and MC5k to name a few, also have better everyday priced jugs at Wally.

Back in 90's. GTX is the choice for Nissan's VQ engine. Oil standard has advanced these years. Any brand name oil will be good enough. The choice is just a subjective matter.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
Back in 90's. GTX is the choice for Nissan's VQ engine. Oil standard has advanced these years. Any brand name oil will be good enough. The choice is just a subjective matter.

Dude, you have Seven cars?

My past experience with GTX has been good but I am starting to avoid Castrol products because they do not disclose their oil properties like other manufacturers. They use generic limits for everything except basic 100C and 40C viscosity.

None of the information we love to debate here - no CCS, MRV, HTHS, Pour point, noack, I have to wonder what they are hiding.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_castrol_gtx_2010.pdf

Compare to a Pennzoil/shell data sheet:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007466171_201212050515.pdf

I keep seeing some post that Castrol GTX costs several dollars more than other brands. Where are you guys seeing this at? Every auto store and Wal-Mart I've been to sells Castrol for the exact same price as any other name brand conventional.

I've never had problems. Use it in all of our vehicles. Have had many 200k and 300k+ vehicles on castrol gtx. My grandfather uses it,my dad uses it,and I use it. All these years only 2 motors went. that I can recall

Originally Posted By: Darren270
I keep seeing some post that Castrol GTX costs several dollars more than other brands. Where are you guys seeing this at? Every auto store and Wal-Mart I've been to sells Castrol for the exact same price as any other name brand conventional.

Ditto. GTX is roughly the same price as VWB and PYB at my WMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back