Marvel Mystery Oil Vs. Fogging Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
About that time of year again. Just wanted to get ya'lls take on this subject. I've used both of them over the years but I'm leaning towards MMO for "fogging" the engine for winter setup, and probably longer. I've used the spray before and really don't think that it would saturate the valves, piston, rings and bore as well as MMO. In the past, I've poured MMO through the carb. while the motor is running for a little bit. Then, once I'm comfortable knowing I've got a good amount in there, I'll give a good dose to the point that the engine starts stalling and then shut the engine off. Done. Haven't had any real problems doing it this way and MMO is a lot cheaper than some fogging spray. Ingredients are fairly similar. What do ya'll think?

Is the fogging oil not a lot thicker and sticky, hence it stays put better. I have not done a fogging since the 70s. I just bought a used outboard and 2 cans of Amsoil fogging oil. They are $5.85 retail, I pay dealer cost. I don't know if this is a case of being penney wise and pound foolish. I am all for saving money and being cheap, but it has to make sense.

Just playing devils advocate.

How could a dedicated fogging oil be as good as MMO?

As you should know by know MMO is better than everything, for every purpose!!! Makes for better gas mileage, less oil consumption, longer engine life, heck it even oils up leather shoes and wooden coffee tables better than the regular products.

With an unchanged formula for 70 years.... every other brand of oil has improved greatly since then but they already knew!!
Rumor has it that a GF-6 motor oil will be released soon, it will consist of GF-5 oil with MMO added.

Still, most of the unfaithful will still use either fogging oil, or perhaps TCW-3 outboard oil (it is designed to be introduced into the combustion chamber and lubricate things) when they winterize their boats.

How could all the manufacturers be poorly informed about the wonders of MMO???

That is the mystery of MMO!!

Yes, tongue in cheek.

I use seafoam aerosol deep creep. It is one of it's listed functions. I just bought aerosol fogging oil and will give it a shot.

First smile of the day fsskier! Certain products develop some intense loyalties. MMO is one, and it's uses are just behind WD 40 or Duct Tape.

I've used both and found MMO the hands down winner. I have a large syringe I fill it with MMO for smaller engines. I get the engine nice and hot, and inject the MMO into the carb. When I get a nice plume of smoke going I shut the engine off. It hasn't let me down yet. I fog a Power Washer and mower late fall, and a snow blower early spring using that method. I get a big fan and stand it behind me so I'm not standing in the smoke screen.

As an added measure when the engine cools off I remove the spark plug, squirt a little MMO in the cyl put the plug in and pull the starter cord to slop it around. Come spring time they start right up smoke a little but everything is fine.

Well the scientific evidence seems overwhelming. I don't see how the light oil MMO will protect better than an oil that is made to stick and stay put. How do you know that the cylinders, valves etc do not have some surface rust that would not be there with a fogging oil? Without tear down you will never know.

Fogging oil has been in use for decades.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Well the scientific evidence seems overwhelming. I don't see how the light oil MMO will protect better than an oil that is made to stick and stay put. How do you know that the cylinders, valves etc do not have some surface rust that would not be there with a fogging oil? Without tear down you will never know.

Fogging oil has been in use for decades.

Well I've pulled apart enough small engines that I fogged with MMO for parts. Never saw any rust, always saw a nice film of oil on the cyl walls, pistons, valves, and spark plug. The engines fogged with MMO started easier the next season, and I never had a carb float stick with an engine fogged with MMO. I did have them stick with fogging oil. That is how I based my opinion. If there is some scientific evidence available proving otherwise I'd love to see it. MMO has been in use for decades too. I'm always looking for something better.

Fogging oil will foul your plugs. The reason people like it
is because of the clinge factor. I will not use it. I mix
2 cycle oil with MMO at a 25% to 75% ratio and fog with that.
To the people that say you have to use fogging oil when they
winterize the new fuel injected engines they run them on
a seperate fuel tank mixed with 2 cycle oil at 8:1 ratio.

Hmmm, good points. I don't believe that fogging oil is thicker than MMO. Fogging oil is 98% flammable and listed as extremely flammable on the MSDS. With butane, propane and naptha, I just don't see how that would protect an engine during storage. VOC for MMO is 0 Lbs/gallon. I like that.

Fogging oil is way thicker than MMO. I have used it many years in carbureted boats. MMO will not oil up your plugs like fogging oil will. You only need a very thin oil film to protect an engine and any 2 stroke oil will work as well. I have fogged engines with thin 2cycle oil in a windex bottle just fine. You could do the same with MMO. Just spray into the carb until you see smoke and shut down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
Fogging oil is way thicker than MMO. I have used it many years in carbureted boats. MMO will not oil up your plugs like fogging oil will. You only need a very thin oil film to protect an engine and any 2 stroke oil will work as well. I have fogged engines with thin 2cycle oil in a windex bottle just fine. You could do the same with MMO. Just spray into the carb until you see smoke and shut down.

Fogging an engine is a fairly easy process, I think a lot of people make a major project out of it. Two cycle oil as you mentioned works well too. Point is you don't have to go out and spend extra money on a "Fogging Oil", especially if you have Two cycle oil or MMO sitting around.

Another reason I lean toward MMO is while the engine is sitting it is softening up any carbon that might be in the combustion chamber. JMO

All the new Evinrude ETECs are winterized using outboard oil. It is done automatically, you do a little song and dance with the key and the fast idle lever, then it takes over, rev's the motor up a little (cannot tell how much, it actually turns the tach off!) then heavily oils the engine using the built in oil injection system. Then it turns itself off, with no input from the operator. Winterizing done, take about 30 seconds per motor.

now, when you consider that the Show team has 5 boats, twin rigs and triple rigs (yes, my boat has 3 150 hp motors on it to pull the 30 person final pyramid... this saves a lot of time and money!

www.5sst.com for a picture of the big pyramid. Those digging longer would find pictures of the triple rig.

If I had to pick 2 out of 3 to winterise my boat it would be 1] fogging oil, 2] two cycle oil. Both have been designed to lubricate and and protect internal parts. And in a 2 cycle motor, the oil mixture is all it has. MMO was made to 1] clean and 2] mildly lubricate.If your using good quality oil and change it when it needs, I don't see the point of putting it in the oil. And when you put in the gas, it burns off so cleanly I can't provide much lubrication or it would foul your plugs.If keeping a coating of oil on the valves and cylinders during long term storage is what your trying to do, You got to use the right stuff. I've seen motors laid up for over ten years start and run smoothly even tho they were stored outside after being properly winterized.You have to know the oil you use will do it's job, not hope it will.,,

I just slowly pour a bottle of any 30w down the carbs in my 454 Crusaders until the engine coughs, then flood it out with a quick pour. Works fine and it's cheap and easy. Engines start just fine in the spring.And no, I haven't torn down the engines to see how they really are. I also think it's helpful to plug the exhausts and carbs to prevent moist air flow through the engine, which can condense and form rust.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If I had to pick 2 out of 3 to winterise my boat it would be 1] fogging oil, 2] two cycle oil. Both have been designed to lubricate and and protect internal parts. And in a 2 cycle motor, the oil mixture is all it has. MMO was made to 1] clean and 2] mildly lubricate.If your using good quality oil and change it when it needs, I don't see the point of putting it in the oil. And when you put in the gas, it burns off so cleanly I can't provide much lubrication or it would foul your plugs.If keeping a coating of oil on the valves and cylinders during long term storage is what your trying to do, You got to use the right stuff. I've seen motors laid up for over ten years start and run smoothly even tho they were stored outside after being properly winterized.You have to know the oil you use will do it's job, not hope it will.,,

MMO makes a good fogging oil, we've used it as a fogging oil for many, many years. My brother fogged a Chevy 350 engine with it and took the engine out of storage over 20 years later to sell to a friend to put into a pick up truck. He pulled the heads and replaced the cam for his friend before he put the engine in the truck. We were all a bit concerned about the condition of an engine left in a damp garage for that long. (The cam was too agressive for the automatic tranny his friends P/U had in it). The insides of that engine were in perfect condition, and after over 20 years it ran well once installed in the PU.

Originally Posted By: Mike66
I just slowly pour a bottle of any 30w down the carbs in my 454 Crusaders until the engine coughs, then flood it out with a quick pour. Works fine and it's cheap and easy. Engines start just fine in the spring.And no, I haven't torn down the engines to see how they really are. I also think it's helpful to plug the exhausts and carbs to prevent moist air flow through the engine, which can condense and form rust.

I would not use an engine oil as a fogging oil, the additives could cause problems when poured into a running engine to fog it. TCW-3, MMO, or fogging oil are better much better choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back