John Deere LX280 with 18 hp Kawasawi engine oil re

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know if this engine should use 30wor 10w 30 engine oil? The Maintenance kits JD sells looks like they all come with 10w-30 GF-3 oil. Also what do you all thing about using Castrol GTX 10w-30 engine oil in these engines?

I'm with JTK, I usually run a 5W-40 in my JD 345 which has the 20hp liquid cooled Kawi along with a Napa Gold 1394. This summer I ran 15W40 with good results, but I will likely go back the the 5W-40 Syn next summer. BTW the last JD oil filter I cut open was a re-badged fram and cost over $12, the NG 1394 cost $6.69.

Quote:
Also what do you all thing about using Castrol GTX 10w-30 engine oil in these engines?

It'll probably work fine, but I prefer an HDEO, just because, like Rotella 10-30 or their straight SAE 30.

As far as filters, assuming it takes the WIX 51394, there are a number that will work. Go here and look at the bottom of the Fram X-ref page, where it shows "Competitors".
thumbsup2.gif

I use M1 TDT 5-40 in my John Deere GT235 with 18HP Kawasaki engine. This is due to the low oil pressure at idle with lesser oils when hot.

Chris

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I use M1 TDT 5-40 in my John Deere GT235 with 18HP Kawasaki engine. This is due to the low oil pressure at idle with lesser oils when hot.

Chris

I would suspect that to be the case w/ any passenger car 30wt variant in super hot climates. Good call on the 5w40 for your usage.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back