maxxis tires are they any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty much as the title says I'm going to be putting 2 on my girlfriends beater friday. There are no long term plans for the car the girl yes. Any thing would be better than what is on there now and we just got to get through the winter. Oh and i'm paying 125 for two p205 70 r14. I also didnt notice that they even make some nice AT tires for my truck it wont need tires for a few years but was just wondering if they are any good

I find that the Maxxis tires that came on my new Cannondale are particularly puncture-prone...can't speak to their car tires.

Last edited:
The Guardsmans they have are just as cheap as a lot of the no-name cheapies I've seen that people say are horrible. They always worked well on my dad's trucks when they still made Guardsman Trailhandlers.

Consumer Reports found that the Maxxis Escapade MA-T1 was a solid value. It ranked 7th out of 23 tires tested. I only mention their recent report because it's the only objective testing I've ever seen on the Maxxis brand.

From what CR is saying, you're better off with the Maxxis Escapade MA-T1 than you are with such popular tires as BFGoodrich Traction T/A, Cooper CS4 Touring, Yokohama Avid TRZ, etc. I probably wouldn't buy the brand, just since I have no experience with it. But if you're concerned whether or not they'll be total losers, it doesn't look like it.

Note, these ratings would only apply to the model CR tested, the Escapade MA-T1. A different Maxxis tire would compare differently.

Maxxis is Cheng Shin Rubber from China and is no better or worse than the other low priced tires out there like Nexen, Nankang, Hankook, Sonar, etc, etc. They will be fine for your application.

Maxxis is involved in off road racing, motocross, drifting, and other "extreme" motorsports. If you want to support companies that support those activities, Maxxis is a good choice.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
The Guardsmans they have are just as cheap as a lot of the no-name cheapies I've seen that people say are horrible. They always worked well on my dad's trucks when they still made Guardsman Trailhandlers.

Cooper Tire now makes Guardsmen tires. That should help.

My only experience with Maxxis tires is tires for my travel trailer. Many people on the RV forum I frequent have been switching to Maxxis tires for trailers since almost all the other manufacturers have moved production to China and seem to be of poor quality. The Maxxis tires I bought were made in Thailand and apparently many of their tires come from there and have for quite a long time. On the RV forum you constantly here people complain of Goodyear Marathons (made in China) and any other China made tire that are blowing out, having tread seperations, etc. I have not yet heard a single complaint about the Maxxis tires.

I personally prefer to buy tires made in the USA but this time I had no tires in my size available that were made anywhere but China or Thailand. On a side not Goodyear has started making the Marathons in the USA again, maybe they weren't happy with their product either.

Not sure this directly relates to car tires but it gives me some level of confidence in their ability to make tires.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
My only experience with Maxxis tires is tires for my travel trailer. Many people on the RV forum I frequent have been switching to Maxxis tires for trailers since almost all the other manufacturers have moved production to China and seem to be of poor quality. The Maxxis tires I bought were made in Thailand and apparently many of their tires come from there and have for quite a long time. On the RV forum you constantly here people complain of Goodyear Marathons (made in China) and any other China made tire that are blowing out, having tread seperations, etc. I have not yet heard a single complaint about the Maxxis tires.

I personally prefer to buy tires made in the USA but this time I had no tires in my size available that were made anywhere but China or Thailand. On a side not Goodyear has started making the Marathons in the USA again, maybe they weren't happy with their product either.

Not sure this directly relates to car tires but it gives me some level of confidence in their ability to make tires.

Interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back