What Brand of Battery should I buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I cant decide between the Autozone Duralast Gold or the Sears DieHard Gold....The Autozone battery will be around $20.00 cheaper then the Sears DieHard, plus has higher crank amps. But it seems like DieHard is a better trusted name as far as Auto Batteries.....Ive heard that Duralast products are made on the cheaper side.....Autozone Duralast Gold or Sears DieHard Gold?

They're made by the same manufacturer. There may be slight differences in the design used, but they're probably more similar than different.

The important thing is to purchase a fresh battery. One that's been sitting around too long without being charged will have a greater chance of suffering an early failure.

The warranty itself has little to do with how long the battery should last. There are far too many variables that will affect battery longevity. In addition, many batteries need some maintenance (top off with distilled water due to evaporation), although few people do that with most batteries.

I ended up buying the Sears DieHard Gold. So far so good, 3 year free replacement, 75 month warranty....101.00 out the door,with a 10% associate discount..
thumbsup2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I ended up buying the Sears DieHard Gold. So far so good, 3 year free replacement, 75 month warranty....101.00 out the door,with a 10% associate discount..
thumbsup2.gif
happy2.gif

Good choice, I have a 75 series in my car and it is 7 and a half years old and it works perfectly fine.

Any Johnson Controls battery (Motorcraft, Interstate, etc.) is good.
thumbsup2.gif
The US-made maintenance-free ACDelco batteries are very decent as well. I'd say go with whatever offers the best value.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: pzev
Autozone Duralast/Duralast Gold, and Wallmart Everstart Gold. National warranties and good batteries.

Ditto. Best values for your money, backed by Consumer Reports testing.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Stay away from the duralast Gold, they are good for a little over a year before you have warrant it.
You are better off with the Duralast Silver if you want to go with AZ.
the Sears Diehard's are pricey, but I believe interstate makes them and you can't really go wrong with that, and they also have a nationwide warranty.
My new favorite battery is Deka out of Pennsyvania..

DEKA+1
Carquest batteries are built by DEKA and it amazes me how I have had zero trouble with them.

If your a member of Sam's or Costco one of theirs or one made from Deka (OReillys Super Starts are one).

Last edited:
My vote is optima or interstate. I avoid Exide and deka. AC Delco is ok but dont seem to be the same quality as they use to be.

The O'Reilly/Kragen ones here are made by Johnson Controls.

Kirkland/Costco, Interstate, DieHard, DuraLast, AC Delco - they're all good and I've used/installed them in various cars.

Last edited:
I read a Consumer Reports article a few years back. Napa batteries rated at the top of the list. When the OEM battery on my Dodge Grand Caravan died after only a couple of years, I replaced it with a Napa Gold. It has worked great.

No disrespect to OP but if he never had to replace a battery in the past, he does not keep his vehicles long enough. Before his new battery wears out, he would be replacing the vehicle.

Buy the cheapest one and get it over.

- Vikas

I've only killed one duralast gold battery, and it was because I constantly drained it beyond dead many times for leaving the underhood light on while working for hour snd hours, or the interior lights etc. Johnson control batteries are GTG!

I've always have had great life out of the Ford factory OEM batteries. I usually get 8 to 9 years out of them before I replace them just so I don't get stuck, they haven't failed. I replaced the OEM battery in my 1996 Contour with a Motorcraft battery from the dealer. The car isn't used in the winter for some years so I've been keeping the battery on a trickle charge for the last 2 years. It actually drained so much just sitting for the winter that I needed the trickle charger to restore it slowly. The OEM battery would sit the entire winter without needing any charging.

I wonder who made the OEM battery and who made the Motorcraft "replacement" battery.

Whimsey

I had the same luck with our 95 E-350 The Factory battery lasted until I changed it in 2006, was getting weak with cranking amps when we would load test it, Winter was around the corner and didnt want to be stuck. Motorcraft also kept a battery in my dads old 1980 Van for over ten years, daily driver on both.

Being in PA, we have alot of Deka Batteries showing up, seem to hold up well. An autoparts supplier, and personal friend sells Exide, he has very little trouble with them, but also speaks highly of Interstate, and Deka. We both used to handle Turbo Start Batteries, out of New Castle PA. They changed design and went cheaper but made a price increase. I dropped them off my line.

I have had the best luck with Kirkland Signature (costco) and AcDelco batteries. I have had AcDelco batteries last 8 years.

Costcos warranty is top notch aswell! Not only this but I think Johnson Controls makes AcDelco and Kirkland batteries now (ACD since 2002 I think.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back