An quivalent to ford part # XT-M5-QS syn ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the tranny fluid in my focus. Everyone on the Focus site is telling me that i need to spend 20+ per quart for this fluid, but after years of spending time on this site, I know better
wink.gif

Is there an equivalent Redline or Mobil fluid I can use? I just cannot justify spending the big bucks at Ford for their syn fluid.

I also referenced my haynes manual for this car, and they simply state that all it needs is a Mercon 5 fluid (which at wal mart can be found in their Tech2000 line as a semi-syn ATF fluid). I bought a quart of it to use on my PS system and I'm sure that after 1 or 2 changes, the PS fluid should almost never need changing again (as their stuff has been very reliable).

Thanks in advance

ya the ford stuff. worth the money, warranty paid for mine since i was getting a new transfer case and axle seal. note it was extended warranty, so i just crossed Volvo specs over to Ford fluid for the trans, transfer case and Haldex unit.

Last edited:
just for reference which trans does your vehicle have? if its an automatic, then yes use Mercon V. there are 3 manual tranmsmissions offered that year, none of which spec Mercon V according to the Factory Service Manual.

XT-M5-QS is a Manual Transmission Fluid, made in Germany.

Last edited:
Saab only charges $11/quart for MTF 0063, which is another "boutique" fully synthetic manual transmission fluid. Ford been jacking their parts prices up since I last bought any from them?

Molakule said about the MTF 0063:

Quote:
So the Saab uses a light 75W90 mtl.

The XT-M5-QS is said to be a 75W90 gear oil here:

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/387896-mtf-xt-m5-qs-75w-90-a.html

Draw your own conclusions.

MTF 0063:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=89

The plot thickens:

Big Jim said:

Quote:
That fluid, XT-M5-QS, is not GL4. It says it is suitable where GL4 is specified. It is made by Castrol and is not available in the US under the Castrol label.

Saab's MTF 0063 is also made by Castrol, also in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back