auto rx analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I find this VOA useful since I use a maintenance dose (3-4ozs) of ARX, and I do used oil analysis. When you are splitting hairs on single digit wear numbers, it's good to know that some of the results may have come from ARX (contamination). The flash point is low, and the insolubles are high with a low viscosity. I can take all of this into account when I split hairs with the delta between my VOA's of engine oil and the UOA's after some use.

The problem I have with this train of logic is twofold:

1. Blackstone has shown a history of recent OA FUBARS. We have no idea how "accurate" this list is.

2. OA's providing single-digit numbers are oft wrought with a lack of repeatability; you are sampling for something so minute, that running the same test on the same lubricant again will yield different results every time.

Essentially: Creating a baseline to factor into your oil analysis using these types of numbers may not necessarily be a good idea.

Now, the FP and visc factors I think would be useful for sure!

Originally Posted By: sprintman
It does a better cleaning job than Redline, been there, done that.

While this may or may not be true, how would you verify this? Looking into oil filter debris? Pulling the engine apart? This is a difficult thing to measure. People swear by Auto-rx, I've used it, but I can't prove its value one way or another. It certainly is very popular, and lots of people swear by it, for whatever it is worth. I'm more inclined at this point to practice principles that would prevent a dirty internal engine. I'm not sure that longevity or reliability is significantly increased. I'm not unsure either. I do think the results are interesting of the VOA.

Does anyone know how to terminate membership on this website? I feel that this place has become a surreptitious advertisement for certain sponsors and brands. I don't like where the site is juxtaposed with a few years back. Dear moderator wwilson, please make good on your petty threat to ban me for insulting a sponsor and fulfill your power trip and eliminate my login and password permanently. I will miss Patman and AEHaas, very little else. This place once had great promise...Sad...

Last edited:
Are the numbers noise from the machine or would the elements some of the elements that the machine can test for in the A/RX?

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
Does anyone know how to terminate membership on this website? I feel that this place has become a surreptitious advertisement for certain sponsors and brands. I don't like where the site is juxtaposed with a few years back. Dear moderator wwilson, please make good on your petty threat to ban me for insulting a sponsor and fulfill your power trip and eliminate my login and password permanently. I will miss Patman and AEHaas, very little else. This place once had great promise...Sad...

"threat to ban me for insulting a sponsor" - completely false, never happened.

I asked you to change your location and occupation from "Mars" and a sexual act that I'm not going to repeat. You changed both fields, thank you.

Wayne

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw

Yes, I also suspect, "this place has become a surreptitious advertisement for certain sponsors and brands." It's also true that individual biases are far more tolerable than the dishonesty of corporate subterfuge, where ethics fall prey to profiteering. I suppose it's really no surprise when millions of dollars are at stake.

This is not a reference to honest participants like Pablo, who gives Amsoil dealers a good name. This is not calling every sponsor and brand dishonest, just those who deserve it.

In spite of this issue, I still think BITOG has value. Yes, everything you read here is a case of "Caveat Emptor," but the site simply reflects the ethics of the marketplace. Ha, it's like being backstage at the beauty pageant. We can see both the beauty and the ugliness. The phonies may fool people for a while, but they're eventually found out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
The phonies may fool people for a while, but they're eventually found out.

So true! Well said !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back