Oil for Direct Injection Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
That's disgusting. Do you know what oil(s)/OCIs he used? Does OCI have a significant effect?

Have you seen any photos of RS4 intake valves that are not filthy? I wonder if any oil/OCI/gasoline type/gas additive combination can keep it reasonably clean.

I cringe at the thought that BMW 135i & 335i IV deposits could be similar to RS4 IV deposits. I need to find out.

time for borescope inspection
50.gif

FWIW, Redline states that their SI-1 fuel system cleaner will survive the combustion process and end up in the crankcase through blowby, upon which it'll get sucked into the intake tract through the PCV system and the EGR system and clean both of them out.

"The detergents used survive the combustion
process and clean the PCV valve and the EGR port as
well as cleaning deposits in the combustion chamber"

http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/15.pdf

Perhaps frequent use of SI-1 or another strong PEA based cleaner would help. Maybe the Shell nitrogen enhanced gasoline also survives the combustion process and ends up in the intake tract.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
FWIW, Redline states that their SI-1 fuel system cleaner will survive the combustion process and end up in the crankcase through blowby, upon which it'll get sucked into the intake tract through the PCV system and the EGR system and clean both of them out.

Good to know. Nothing has been more of an issue with my VW 1.8T than clogging the PCV system with deposits. Maybe this will really help and I sure will try it. Thanks.

JAG, keep us posted. I'm curious if it helps at all in some of these problematic engines.

Makes me wonder what effect the SI-1 will have on the oil then. IMO combustion would destroy almost any detergent!!

Leo, same argument would go for an UCL.

Porsche reccomend(ed) limited use of techron to some number (5?) per OCI. IIRC, something to do with lead.

The new GM 3.6 DI engines do not have an EGR system. Will this help mitigate the intake deposits?

This is a description from GM about the 3.6 DI Engine.

"...The 3.6L Direct Injection VVT employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary...Cam phasing also enables the reduction of exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminates the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system."

Articles I've read say the EGR system is a very small part of the problem, it's the PCV system that's the main cause of deposits.

i haven't been able to read all the posts in this thread but does auto-rx have any properties that can help keep the valves clean for direct injection?

i also have a VW 2.0 FSI engine, and i'm reluctant to go with a catch can/pcv fix because of emissions inspection/compliance issues and the need to keep dumping the catch can.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Just when seafoam was really no longer necessary in modern engines... along comes DI and intake valve deposits.

Conspiracy?
How would Seafoam do anything for DI valve deposits? It is not really smart to buy the first few years of a new design, let the other fools test the new product!! Then again what is in Seafoam that does anything.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Just when seafoam was really no longer necessary in modern engines... along comes DI and intake valve deposits.

Conspiracy?
How would Seafoam do anything for DI valve deposits? It is not really smart to buy the first few years of a new design, let the other fools test the new product!! Then again what is in Seafoam that does anything.

When seafoam is sucked into the intake, it'll reach the intake valve area and clean off the deposits. In a DI car, the fuel would never reach the intake valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back