Goodyear Eagle LS -- change from OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday while I was getting my oil changed, my mechanic commented that I'm going to need new tires soon. One, the left front, is a recent Goodyear Eagle LS 225/60R16, purchased about a year (10K miles) ago. One is a Dunlop; don;t know the model. And the other two are also Goodyear Eagles. They, like the Dunlop, are worn down and starting to show a little dry rot. These two may well have come on the car from Flint, since the Buick has 67K miles total on it.

He's always tried to save me money, and can get most tires at a reasonable discount over the Goodyear/Firestone places. Three new Goodyears, he says, will run about $330 installed.

To me, the important things about a tire are, in order:

1) Comfortable, quiet ride (our streets here are lousy)
2) Good grip in the wet
3) Price
3) Tread life

I've glanced over the reviews of various tires at Tire Rack, and am dazzled at the amount of information -- and how various reviewers' experiences can be different. Any recommendations, or should I just stay with the OEM?

I will second the pirellis.

as for OEM's, IMO, they are overpriced for what you get. I think the tire manufacturers mark up their OEM tires for a reason.

Stick to the name brands, and being down in the U.S. especially, the Tire Rack is one of, if not THE best place to source tires.

Even with the exchange and brokerage, theyre usually cheaper than we can find locally up in canada.
If you call them, theyre usually more than happy to recommend something based on your wants and needs. Plus, they test everything they sell.

Ryan

If they're anything like the OEM Eagle LS's that I have on my Dakota, run fast, run far.

Granted the Dakota is a 2wd pickup, but wet weather traction was not that great to begin with and now that the tires have some mileage on them, they're even worse.

My
49.gif
, YMMMV, Void in Rhode Island, standard disclaimers apply, consult with your financial advisor, etc.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I like my Pirelli P4's. They wear well, have outstanding wet grip, but are noisy.

P4/P6s are pretty good.

Cooper or Mastercraft tires.

Mich Harmony tires....

Thinking of more....

I would stay away from the Goodyear LS tire, which came OEM on my Grand Prix. Noisy and poor traction are what come to my mind. I have had BFG Touring T/A pros and now Michelin Symmetries and they both are both light years ahead of the stock LS tires they replaced. Also don’t mix different brands and types of tires, as it can cause an unpredictable driving experience. I would suggest getting 4 brand new tires for even tread wear and call it a day.

If the youngest tire of the bunch had, say, 20K miles or more on it, I'd go with four new tires (or if I were changing brands). But this one is a youngster. I just checked my old posts here, and that tire was bought in February of '08 -- so, probably 15K on it. How much tread life are these tires supposed to have?

My mother's '04 Park Avenue came new with Goodyear Integrity tires, so these my be the second set. I think Eagles have a softer rubber, so they might not be a high mileage tire. You might want to look at the Goodyear tires Assurance Triple Tread or Comfort Tread.

The Yokohama Avid TRZ meets all of your criteria.

Consumer Reports is due to post brand new passenger all season tire data this week or next. Stay tuned. It sounds like you can wait a few weeks for sure. It'll just be one more data point for you.

I put a set of Goodyear ComforTreds on my folks' 1999 Park Avenue, replacing the OE Goodyear Conquests. There is no comparing the ComforTreds to the OE Conquests.

The ComforTred *is* the tire made for a car like a Park Avenue.

They're comfortable (see the name of the tire), they're quiet, they are reliable in the wet and in the snow. They have a 6 year / 80,000 mile warranty from GoodYear.

I've only rotated them once in 15,000 miles.

Plus, I was able to get the ComforTreds with the thin little white pinstripe (1/4") whitewall. It just adds a little touch of class to the car.

gy_assurance_comfor_ww_ci2_l.jpg

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I like my Pirelli P4's. They wear well, have outstanding wet grip, but are noisy.

P4/P6s are pretty good.

Thinking of more....

Not sure about P4, but P6 is absolutely junk if you want any wet traction.

I'd go for something like Bridgestone Potenza RE960, Yokohama Avid H4/V4/T4, etc. BFG Traction TA/H is pretty good too.

In Louisiana, I would go for a summer tire like the Sumitomo HTR 200.

The ComforTreds look good on TireRack, though the reviews are mixed. But that extra layer of cushioning sounds great! (Though I've gotten used to the blackwall tires on the Buick now, and feel they keep it from looking too much like the usual Bingo Night Express.) What about the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max?

The Yokohamas, in contrast, are attractive thanks to their price, but several of the reviewers complain about tread wear.

I don't plan on refitting the car's shoes until early or mid-October, so I've got time to look around.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
The ComforTreds look good on TireRack, though the reviews are mixed. But that extra layer of cushioning sounds great! (Though I've gotten used to the blackwall tires on the Buick now, and feel they keep it from looking too much like the usual Bingo Night Express.) What about the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max?

The Yokohamas, in contrast, are attractive thanks to their price, but several of the reviewers complain about tread wear.

I don't plan on refitting the car's shoes until early or mid-October, so I've got time to look around.

Turn the pinstripe whitewall to the inside.

They're worth it, if you are looking for "ride", these are it.... I'd put another set on the folks' PA in a heartbeat.

The set that I got was from Discount Tire Direct, and then paid $50 for Wal-Mart to mount and balance them.

Well according to tirerack the eagle LS doesnt even have a treadlife warranty. So I would say 40K if your lucky. Remember these are OEM so GM expected them to last 3yr/36,000 miles.

Falling into the YMMV category, I'd like to report that I've got almost 57K on mine right now, and I'd estimate 1/2 of the tread is left.

Probably 80/20 split of highway/city miles, although that's changing since I've been using the Dakota to commute since Memorial Day.

I got 48k miles out of a set of OEM Eagle LS2's (20" size) on my AWD Denali pickup. Tires could have gone another 5k, but I caught a sale and rebate offer and replaced all 4 with another set of LS2's. These tires were never rotated and not driven gently, plus the AWD is hard on tires. But - they felt the same at 48k miles as they did at 1 mile when new with the truck. So, if you are talking LS2 tires I say go for them. But if you mean LS only, I don;t know must be different tire.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 is a good choice. As is the TRZ.

Discount Tire is offering $100 off a set of four tires this coming Mon through Wed.

I would get four new tires and sell the "young" Goodyear on Craigslist or to an used tire dealer.

Here's a bump to a few-week-old thread. Benzadmiral, did you end up getting new tires for your PA?

Last November, I got a set of Cooper CS4 tires on my '05 PA, and I highly recommend them. I have the Ultra, which includes the sport suspension and 17 inch wheels. The CS4s in my size are V-rated, and they've been excellent in both handling and ride quality. Wet traction was great, too.

Since you are more interested in comfort, take a look at the T-rated CS4 in your P225/60R16 size. I have no experience with the T-rated variant, but I'd consider it in light of my favorable experience with the Vs.

Right now Cooper is running a $50 rebate on the CS4s. I bought two sets of tires in the last year under their rebate program. Both checks came within two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back