What is "Normal" coolant loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
I don't seem to lose coolant in the overflow tank gradually. In other words, the loss is not a slow, imperceptible, gradual loss. When the tank is observed cold, the level seems to stay constant for a whole 3 to 5 months at a time. Then, suddenly, after 3 or 5 months, it drops by an inch or two over a very short period of one to three days. The coolant level in the tank then stays at the new lower level for another 3 to 5 months. Then, almost overnight, it again drops another inch or two. The loss over these last 3.75 years has never been gradual, but punctuated by sudden drops.

I got the same problem with my camry though not as bad. I checked the overflow tank early this year and it was low so I filled it back up and checked it a bit more often. Some time during the summer, it suddenly dropped a little bit in a week or so and I saw dried coolant on top of the tank. Obviously it's leaking from the cap, but I know it's been closed properly every time.

Doesn't seem like your typical cooling system problem. Oil looks fine. Car doesn't overheat.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The Toyota Super Long Life coolant does have issues with evaporation-my wife's xB lost about 4 inches worth from the expansion tank in about 3 years, had to add more-you may just be losing it due to evaporation from the expansion tank, but testing/replacing the radiator pressure cap is always a good idea.

The overflow tank is not pressurized. The cap snaps on.

Came in a bit late on this subject, but my 06 camry does the same thing. The cap has been replaced. Must be, as mentioned earlier an issue with evaporation in the tank. My tacoma losses some but its much less than in the Camry. I have seen other camrys of this year do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back