Maximize Lawn Boy F-series engine life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: I recently picked up a 20 year-old commercial lawn boy with an F-series engine in pristine condition. Most of the original paint is on and compression is 110 psi! But...it came with a tank of gas mixed 32:1 with Lawn-boy oil, and, man, does that stuff stink! If I can figure out how, I will post a picture of the smoke cloud.

Up until now, I have used Echo semi-synthetic 2-cycle oil, without thinking about it much, at 50:1 in my Dolmar saw and Echo trimmer (following the manufactuers recs). No problems, so far. Both start easy and run well, and both have EPA-limited carbs, which I have not messed with. No smoke cloud, either.

Now the Oil Question: I would love to use the same mix for all my small engines, and after reading numerous posts in multiple threads on several sites, I think it is possible. I think that could try either Amsoil mixed at 50:1 or Mobil MX2T at 40:1. The goal is to maximize the life of my mower, which is irreplaceable, to minimize the smoke and smell, and to simplify my life. Or, should I just mix gas for the mower and the other OPE separately, and put up with a bit of extra smoke? Opinions?

I'm jealous of your find.
Got some grass you can cut with that gas so you can burn it out qucker? I'm assuming the stink is from the old gas.
Last night I started up a car that had been parked since '02 and I let it burn out the gas that was in the tank since '02. It really made my eyes water and I had to stand upwind.
Otherwise siphon the fuel out of the mower until it is empty and put in fresh gas/oil mix.

If you want to maximize the life of the engine mix a TC-W3 oil at either 16 or 32:1. I wouldn't go any higher than that. This will increase power and decrease wear. There's no substitute for a stout mix because there is no substitute for oil. I've got plenty of Saber and MX2T myself and I'm not saying anything bad about them, either. It's just that oil is oil and gas is gas (now with ethanol) and you need to have a decent amount of oil for lubrication. If I had a lawnboy like yours I'd run somewhere between 16-32:1 with a decent quality synth. Probably not MX2T, but maybe Saber or really whatever the cheapest synth 2T oil is. Oil is cheap, but that engine will last the better part of the rest of your life if you take care of it. If I'm not mistaken it called for 16:1 from the factory.

Old Lawn Boys do blow a cloud of smoke-try getting it fully warmed up & see if it improves. My 2 have always smoked quite a bit, not really sure why they call for 32:1 when most things that call for 2-stroke run @ 50 or even 100:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back