Sealing Air Intake ... ( Gasket Maker )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hey Guys,

I got a nice SRI for my car ... I love it .. Real Carbon F.
But I don't like Idea of not using gaskets ...

There is only one gasket included ...
I marked with red color where I plan to use gasket .. Is this good idea ? RTV Gasket maker is right product rigt ? I don't think it can be sucked up via intake when dry ?

I will use it Around Aluminum Pipe On outside connection, CF and Aluminum ... ( There is gasket but you can't be to safe right ?

Then I will use it on the Inside exactly on that Velocity stack on inside ring .. so it will go between Velocity Stack and CF.

and thats it

BTW velocity stack is plastic ... and inside side of CF is uneven so i think gasket in there is must...
2 pictures are presenting where new seals will be made ...
40687822.jpg

19464751.jpg

31850324.jpg

64833023.jpg

why not just get some gasket material from the parts store and cut one out? the rtv would prob be fine but it just messy and ugly. You could take that piece and just trace it on some gasket material and use scissors or a razor and cut a nice gasket.

btw, what kind of car is that?

Ooo I didn't know that you can buy .. Gasket Material ... I will consider that option ...

Yeah, it is pretty inexpensive. Any parts store should have it. sometimes it come sin a little variety pack, other times in rolls of whatever material you want. I just think it would look a lot better on that nice intake.

What type of car is it for?

sorry its for Mazda 3 ...
But I guess I will use silicon on Inside .. it will be not visible at all ... and because of CF being uneven It will seal better I guess that you will agree...

Use sealer /gaskets only on connections on the engine side of the air cleaner.
Anywhere else doesn't matter if the fit is imperfect.
If you use RTV, use a type that has NO silicon!
It will state so on the label and may say 'sensor safe' on it.
Give it plenty of dry time and it won't leak or suck in. It is strong.

Thx for good tips :)

BTW what you mean on engine side ?

I plan to use it on to spots ...

Metal pipe to CF ..
And Velocity Stack to CF ( Black Ring Where you mount filter )

WHy do not like gasket's? The silicone in gasket maker is not good for the sensors especialy 02 a little bit of silicone on them and they stop working right! Use the OEM gasket it looks well made and has steel inserts to stop knuckle heads from over tightening it and cracking the Carbon fiber. You can buy a couple of different types of gasket material from parts stores. Rubber,nitrile,cork and some fiber based product.

I hope your preeety and expensive air filter does a better job then most. I just wist I could meet the guy that first marketed so called cold air kits , the guy that invented the Vernado and the fuel maget so I could beat them all to with in an inch of their lifes then nurse them back to health and do it again and again and again........

Personely I am tired of soup can sounding mufflers that are monsterious , rear wings that flap around because they are not properly install and often set up to produce lift not down force and cold air kits on other wise stock cars that can not get out of the way of their own shadow..............I am sure we have seen them......SOme pimple faced kid getting out with his pants almost around his ankles and every bolt on piece of sh!t JC Whitney sells for a Honda and the thing has an ignition miss and black clouds of oil comeing out the tail pipe or better yet it is splatering your winshield with oil while drivingont he HWY!!!

Since I stoped tunning car's I have yet to see anything with a Motec under the hood twin turbo's, big cams, 3 stage NOS etc.....Just cold air kits and JC Whitney bolt on wallet lightner! I am all for SEMA but I would rather see some of these guys do something constructive like take shop class in H.S. instead of smoking pot and ordering junk from catalogs that bolts on and does nothing!

I just hope the OP is up for more then just bolt on wallet lightner!

P.S. If you do not have a gasket cutter that clamps to a work bench and has a big revolving handle and twin revolving cutter's at least pick up a pair of exacto knives and a good pair of siccors. You can take the part and do one of two things trace the edges with lipstick and press onto the gasket material or if itis hard you can lay it on the material and smack it with a hammer and it will mark the gasket material even where their are holes!

Hey ..

OEM gasket will be in use .. and its rubber only no metal ...

I need to seal ... velocity stack ... because I'm sure that with out gasket it will suck some air after filter ...

I got some BLUE Gasket Maker from Permatex it says that it is SENSOR SAFE ... but on Instruction it says something about Silicon lol ... so I dunno if it contains one or not...

BTW: no mufflers,spoilers or anything extra ...
I decide to get SRI only because I could get some aftermarket filters ie AMSOIL .. if there was some solid drop in I would go that route :)

Last edited:
If it says sensor safe, it's OK.
There are 2 sides to the intake. Ambient outside air, and from the air cleaner in, is the engine side.
The engine side has a relative vacuum, [but not engine vacuum]so no leaks are permissible because of metering or dirt admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back