Canadian Tire Eliminator battery P.O.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best battery they sell,the spiral-grid gell cell type,lasted me 2 and a half years!Made by Exide and cost $225 taxes in .I figured I'd get the best for my Jeep ,see's a little off-roading,so I bought this battery in 2007 May.It's comes with a great warranty 3 years replacement then 10 years pro-rated.I tried to get my money back but a new battery was all the guy could do.Interstate just got a new customer
33.gif

Contrary to marketing speak and popular thinking, a spiral AGM is not the best thing since sliced bread.. A Standard battery will work better in most all situations except where you have to put the battery upside down or in a salt water boat. Then I would go for a straight AGM.

I went to the local Interstate dealer in town here and bought a "Mega-Tron" Interstate(1000cca) for my Cherokee.The battery in that truck now is a 5 year old Eliminator from Canadian Tire that I have no faith in.I am going moose hunting in a couple of weeks and MUST have a reliable battery in the bush.My plan is to put the Interstate in the Cherokee and keep the Eliminator on trickle charge as a spare/jump battery for my various other vehicles.I'd rather jump from a solitary battery than use my "in-vehicle" battery for safety sake.We'll see how long the Interstate lasts.The guy selling me the battery said when he worked at Canadian Tire they had a 44% return rate on their house brand batteries (Motomaster)and since he's been at Interstate it's been 2%.

Hmm, I knew that Cdn Tire batteries were not the best available, but after reading these posts I realise just how bad they really are. And they're not correspondingly cheap, either. By contrast to a 2 to 4 year life-span for Motomasters, most Japanese cars that I've owned over the last 35 years have had the original OEM battery last anywhere from 8 to 12 years!

Mal Wart here sells Johnson Controls batteries, and that company seems to have a better reputation. I tried Carpy Tire batteries before, and one lasted 8 months, and its replacement lasted 1.5 years. Garbage.

Originally Posted By: Greaser
Best battery they sell,the spiral-grid gell cell type,lasted me 2 and a half years!Made by Exide and cost $225 taxes in .I figured I'd get the best for my Jeep ,see's a little off-roading,so I bought this battery in 2007 May.It's comes with a great warranty 3 years replacement then 10 years pro-rated.I tried to get my money back but a new battery was all the guy could do.Interstate just got a new customer
33.gif

Yup another EXIDE garbage product! between this "MotoMaster" junk and their tires labeled "MotoMaster" these products truly are garbage IMO and I wouldn't use these ever, even if in a pinch!
frown.gif
Not only has our family and customers had countless problems with their batteries but we have also witnessed and seen ourselves a few tires collapse and blowout which were "MotoMaster" brand. We reported this to CTC and got a nice letter back that said they basically couldn't help us and that it was most likely due to a mechanical problem with our vehicles and/or our friends/family/customers vehicles.
mad.gif

I use Interstate. Over 10 years is what I average in all the batteries my dad/I have used of this brand and they are cheaper than the most expensive MotoMaster junk.

I also now use Bridgestone or Michelin from places other than CTC and have had nothing but excellent mileage from the tires. We had a set of Michelin on our Caravan that went almost 200K KM (120K miles) before worn down to the Wear-Bar.
wink.gif

I've had good luck with Motomaster stuff. I have the plain Sure Start battery in my car, installed I think 4 years ago, still runs fine. I have had to top up the water a few times, maybe most people don't check that, which could help explain the high return rate. Maybe not as well sealed as Interstate ones? But I'll probably get another Motomaster when this one dies.

Have Motomaster tires too. On a few occasions they've slipped during braking in the rain, but I would attribute that more to the small tire size (145R12). Other than that, no problems.

I was just at a Mal Wart, and noticed they had "sure start" labeled batteries at about a 35% lower price than the energizer labeled ones. The batteries looked exactly the same other than the front and top labels. Both said Johnson Controls on the top labels.

My son has a cheapo Motomaster battery in his clunker Pontiac and it seems to be doing good,it says recharge 5/06 so lets say it's around 3 1/2 years old.Maybe it's the pricey batteries that are lemons?The Interstate batteries that I purchased had current dates of manufacture on them,1 month difference.
21.gif

Last edited:
I have a no-name Johnson Controls in my Cherokee. Going on two years and still turning over that 4.0 just fine. Paid $60. In my experience batteries with high-CCA ratings aren't as reliable or as long-lasting. Get what you need for your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
I have a no-name Johnson Controls in my Cherokee. Going on two years and still turning over that 4.0 just fine. Paid $60. In my experience batteries with high-CCA ratings aren't as reliable or as long-lasting. Get what you need for your car.
You might be on to something here.May-be all the fancy stuff is causing a short battery life to occur,something like live fast-die young!
02.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"On a few occasions they've slipped during braking in the rain, but I would attribute that more to the small tire size (145R12)"

Vilan, is that a wheel barrow you are riding in ??
lol.gif

Probably slipped on a tomato spill in Leamington during ketchup week
crackmeup2.gif

Steve, I'll agree with you on Motomaster/Exide batteries, they are junk, but I have to disagree with you on the tires though. The AW and AW/H tires are junk(for the record Walmart carries them as well under a different name), but the rest of the Motomaster line; SE & Total Terrains are made by Kelly Springfield division of Goodyear and are decent tires for the money. Without seeing the tires you had issues with I couldn't explain why you had issues with them.

I haven't used the tires in the last 5-7 years so things may have changed, but before that when my dad worked at CTC as a mechanic on weekends (more to have a bay at his disposal) we had all kinds of failures with the MotoMaster tires... Haven't used them since and stuck with the Bridgestone/Michelin brands. As for the batteries we have neighbours/friends that use them and we just replaced one with an Interstate last week. The Battery was only 3 years old.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"On a few occasions they've slipped during braking in the rain, but I would attribute that more to the small tire size (145R12)"

Vilan, is that a wheel barrow you are riding in ??
lol.gif

Close... a lawn mower.
grin2.gif

Actually the average lawn mower probably has more horsepower than my Metro...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I haven't used the tires in the last 5-7 years so things may have changed, but before that when my dad worked at CTC as a mechanic on weekends (more to have a bay at his disposal) we had all kinds of failures with the MotoMaster tires... Haven't used them since and stuck with the Bridgestone/Michelin brands. As for the batteries we have neighbours/friends that use them and we just replaced one with an Interstate last week. The Battery was only 3 years old.
frown.gif

So far, only the Michelin/CT snow tires they offer seem worthwhile. In the all-season department, the chinese-made Coopers seem of higher quality as compared to the CT offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back