Cycling in rural North AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just never know what I'll see when riding my bike in rural Northeast AL. Just yesterday, I was out doing a 50 miler, and happened to see this near Woodville, AL. Ole Bessie, grazing in someone's front yard, no fence around the property. The old girl was on a leash attached to a ground stake 20-30 feet away. Why in the world would anyone want/need a cow in their front yard? I just thought it was funny, and sort of sad at the same time. To each his own, I guess.

cow_in_yard.jpg

p.s. Sorry for the terrible pic quality. It was taken with my cell phone camera, while I was doing around 15 mph on the bike, on a marginally paved country road.

That's funny. I'm from the gulf coast area and remember my parents had pet pigs and cows growing up.

Much better than me spending over two hours yesterday afternoon mowing, edging, and weed eating.

I could be relaxing in air conditioning and drinking a few cool ones by using the Cow method!

What a great idea!

Tethering your cow was pretty common practice in many places. Its a good way not to waste your time cutting hay and bringing it to the cow, when you can bring the cow to the grass. Plus you can keep areas from brushing up without building expensive fences.
No offence, but I think its sad that you don't understand or appreciate why someone would do this. Producing their own food and making a front lawn useful should be applauded, IMHO.
If you go by again sometime you should stop and ask them about it, most people would be happy to explain what they are doing.

I just felt sorry for the cow, being kept tethered as it was, and not being able to roam. Then again, I guess it's not THAT big a deal, and the cow probably couldn't care less, so long as there's food and water.

Indylan, as far as stopping by and asking people ANYTHING in that area, there's NO way in HE** I'm doing that. The area I took that picture is known for heavy meth manufacturing, and I'm sure not sticking my nose somewhere it doesn't belong.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I just felt sorry for the cow, being kept tethered as it was, and not being able to roam. Then again, I guess it's not THAT big a deal, and the cow probably couldn't care less, so long as there's food and water.

Indylan, as far as stopping by and asking people ANYTHING in that area, there's NO way in HE** I'm doing that. The area I took that picture is known for heavy meth manufacturing, and I'm sure not sticking my nose somewhere it doesn't belong.

Yep, the cow probably was pretty happy out there. I'd doubt people manufacturing drugs would have a cow on their lawn, but you know the area, not me.
Were you in the hills there or is it pretty flat? I love the windy roads in the southern Applacations, must be great fun on a bike.

Indylan,
That picture was taken on "hilly" terrain, at the base of one of the local mountains, from which I had descended a few moments earlier. FWIW, the route I was riding started from Scottsboro, AL, then went up the mountain, through the NE AL mountaintop towns/communities of Skyline, Pleasant Groves, and Nat. Once I made the descent from Nat, the route went near Woodville, AL, then back to Scottsboro. It's a 50 mile ride that I do frequently.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Note the mandatory 20 yo satelite dish. Thet can't afford a lawn mower, but they can't live without Jerry Springer
grin2.gif

FWIW, C-band still lets you pick your channels a la carte, at about $1.30 a channel, minimum ~5. And the picture is way better than dish or directv and doesn't fuzz out in the rain.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I would love to have a cow, some goats and some chickens..good weed control.

+1 would love my own cows.

Pablo, as stated previously, I thought it sad that the cow was being kept in such a way. I was not making a judgement on the people living there, only the way the cow was being kept. After more thought, I came to the conclusion that the cow was likely clueless and didn't care that it was leashed, so long as there was food and water for it.

FWIW, I was raised in conditions worse than what is seen in the picture. Much worse.

Got ya. I was mainly referring to this, but it probably was just a joke "Thet can't afford a lawn mower, but they can't live without Jerry Springer..."

Besides - instant fertilizer!

Hmmm I can remember a few times dad let the cows in the yard to graze. Didn't do it very much the fertilizer got a bit much... more so the really green slimy stuff can't remember how many times I slipped and fell on one.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
be careful up there. they love a man in tights that shaves his legs lol

Naw, man. I'm a good ole boy, too. See here, this is how I roll.

RedNeckRider400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back