Oil and Filter for 2005 Altima 3.5 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 2005 Altima 3.5 SE with the VQ35DE motor. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to know what would be reccomended for oil and filter. I live in SC so in the summer it gets 90-100 but winters are mile for the most part. Most of my driving is 60/40 roughly hwy/city.

I wish I could say money was no object but I'm trying to find a balance between how much my oil changes are gonna cost me and preserving the car. For example if using synthetics I can go twice as long as using dino oils on oil changes would that be worth it?

I appreciate any help.

Wow, you waited almost four years to make your first post.

First, your car has a very durable and reliable motor. Just give it the basics and it may outlast your love for it. IIRC the VQ35 is a little hard on oil so I wouldn't run a dino for more than 5k miles.

What price range are you looking at for an oil and filter?

If you plan on extending drain intervals with a synthetic then you may need to run a few UOAs (used oil analysis) to verify that the oil you'll be using will withstand the interval.

There are deals to be had on synthetics once in a while so you just have to keep an eye open and stock up when you find those deals. Sometimes it may end up being the same price or cheaper than non-sale dino.

Last edited:
Son purchased a 2006 Altima with the 4 cyl, with 57,000 on the odometer. Switched him over to Amsoil 0W30 and plan on 10,000 mile OCI. This engine seems to be easy on oil from what I can see.

Yeah I've been lurking for quite a while without actually posting. I was hoping for something in the 7500 mile OCI, Walmart carries Mobil 1 5W30 in a 5 quart container for like $23 ish usually. So probably go with that, then I'm not sure if I should go with Purolator pureone or Mobil 1 filter. So it's about $35 for an oil change. I put about 9k miles a year on the car if that helps.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Wow, you waited almost four years to make your first post.

First, your car has a very durable and reliable motor. Just give it the basics and it may outlast your love for it. IIRC the VQ35 is a little hard on oil so I wouldn't run a dino for more than 5k miles.

What price range are you looking at for an oil and filter?

If you plan on extending drain intervals with a synthetic then you may need to run a few UOAs (used oil analysis) to verify that the oil you'll be using will withstand the interval.

There are deals to be had on synthetics once in a while so you just have to keep an eye open and stock up when you find those deals. Sometimes it may end up being the same price or cheaper than non-sale dino.

I have a UOA kit from Blackstone (found them here) but I gotta actually do an OCI before I send it in right? Where's a good point to start? 7K 8k?

Since your target oci is 7500 miles, I would run it for that long and get the sample when you change the oil. Here is a thread where Pennzoil Platinum was run in a VQ35 in a Murano http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1593495#Post1593495 . I don't think you can go wrong with either PP, M1, Synpower, Syntec, or Edge for 7500 miles. I say use whichever you can get for the best price. Look for auto store oil and filter specials. Usually it's a brand name synthetic with a good filter, and they are under $30 most of the time.

For the filter I think a Pureone will be more than sufficient.

How many miles are in your car? If it's over 30k miles and you haven't done a transmission fluid exchange yet then I would definitely get that done.

Last edited:
Pick the oil filter combo of your choice and set 6 months as the target date of your first UOA. That will give you a good indication of how likely you are to reach your goal. I'd merely add two months and test again.

I use Mobil 1 EP and a NAPA Gold filter on my VQ-40 engine. It runs VERY smoothly and I am pleased with the mileage. I still change it out at 6-7 months (4-5000 miles) because of warranty but since I bought the EP with $10 off coupns, I am pleased.

Originally Posted By: Sithely
Is it the M110 or the M1-108 for my engine?
I use the M1-110 it is a little bit bigger filter.

I also live in upstate South Carolina and my daughter has the same vehicle as you. I am using a Wix 51356 filter and Pennzoil YB, seems to be doing a good job.
I also have a question for you. The manual says it takes 4.5 quarts of oil to fill. Over on the oil filter page I asked a question about the filter and someone suggested that it takes 5 quarts. How much do you use?

Originally Posted By: lawmaninsc
I also live in upstate South Carolina and my daughter has the same vehicle as you. I am using a Wix 51356 filter and Pennzoil YB, seems to be doing a good job.
I also have a question for you. The manual says it takes 4.5 quarts of oil to fill. Over on the oil filter page I asked a question about the filter and someone suggested that it takes 5 quarts. How much do you use?
My manual says 4.5 also, but it takes 5 quarts to bring it to the full mark.

Hard to beat PP at this point in the game. But heres a UOA from my old 350Z with Syntec 5W-30 and Nissan filter @ 7680 miles. I wasnt easy on the car to say the least. I dont remember is it 5 with filter change? I always just got the 5qt jug.
7287OilAnalysis10001_1_1_1.JPG

I have a 2004 Maxima and I use either PP or Valvoline Synpower. Mostly PP though. I found a thread on a 350z site showing the top 5 oils that had the best result in the VQ35DE based a UOA's.

#1. Amsoil 0w30
#2. PP
#3. Schaffers
#4. Mobil 1 EP 0w40
#5. Castrol GTX

I use Carquest Blue's(rebadged wix) or Napa Gold(also rebadged wix).

Last edited:
Ya! He's the one that posted the info. This is another link:http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/5/1887774
German Castrol 0w30 is on the list too. Forgot about that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back