stripped my drain bolt...had to use Jiffy Lube :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew my drain bolt was stripped from last time..then I tore it up even more with a vice grips..
frown.gif
needless to say, i was so swetty and T'd off..I finally went to Jiffy Lube and had them change my oil.. I didn't have the right socket anymore and I was in a rush. It was demoralizing..but a good experience to remind me why I don't like going to those places. At least I have fresh oil (Pennzoil 5/30) by the by. LOL. And over-filled a bit, not right on the mark the way us Bitogers like to do it. not enough to hurt..but just saying..
Just thought you guys would like this as a little Twitter report.

Last edited:
Yes, I had a brand new 5/8 drain bolt. I had them install it.
Just bought a new socket...no problems no worries for next time.

dealer overfilled mine on last change. they put in the correct amount of 4.3L on the receipt, but i think they put in more because it is about a 1/4 inch above the full mark.

When i change it myself i put more than 4.3 L in to get it exactly to the full mark. so they must be about 4.7 to 4.5 L put in. sucks for my OCD.

My friend came over too change his oil because I told him I could get his stripped drain plug off, it was quite easy, his drain bolt required a 14 mm socket, so I just hammered on a 13 mm socket, it made a new groove and the drain plug came right out.

How stripped was the 14mm drain bolt? I've got a similar problem, the plug doesn't look too bad but both a craftsman 6 point 14mm and a gator grip keep slipping, and the plug is on TIGHT(shop did it) and I have a weak arm.

Hammering on a 13mm and going at it with a breaker bar sounds encouraging, how and with what hammer does one do that?

I'd like to give up and have another shop take care of it, but reading this thread got my hopes up.

Buy a cheap socket one size smaller, and put it on the bolt (without a socket wrench attached).

Then wack it with a hammer, and spin it off.

Shouldn't have been too bad.

Originally Posted By: Brofessor

Hammering on a 13mm and going at it with a breaker bar sounds encouraging, how and with what hammer does one do that?

If you need a breaker bar to losen a drain plug then you OVER tightened it previously, you won't be happy when you pull the threads from the oil pan out with the plug.

Yes, I agree..i did overtighten it last time..wont happen again, thats for sure... and I couldn't believe vice grips didnt work either.. I put the grips on so tight I had to squeeze them shut with two hands... and when I hit it with the hammber, it just slid around the bolt and stripped it worse... craziest thing.

Last edited:
I found the best trick to getting rounded plugs out is to weld a nut to the head, and buzz it off with an impact. it worked the last few hundred times i did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back