Difference between SL and SM ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
In somewhat simple terms, could someone tell me the difference between the SL and SM API ratings?

Would there be a difference in performance in an engine manufactured in 2004 using an SL oil vs. a SM oil?

Yes they lowered the amount of ZDDP to protect the emission system.

For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced November 30, 2004. SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistence, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil.

**Difference in performance......I say No.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced November 30, 2004. SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistence, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil.

Okay, I suspected there would be little to no preformance difference.

So if ZDDP levels are down but the new SM oils are supposed to offer better wear protection, how is that? If remember correctly, ZDDP is an anti-wear additive. Did they increase other anti-wear additives to make up for the loss of ZDDP? What additives are up?

+1 here is your answer

SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistence,

And if I remember right, zddp is the antioxidant.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41

Okay, I suspected there would be little to no preformance difference.

So if ZDDP levels are down but the new SM oils are supposed to offer better wear protection, how is that? If remember correctly, ZDDP is an anti-wear additive. Did they increase other anti-wear additives to make up for the loss of ZDDP? What additives are up?

Yes ZDDP is an anti wear ad but it is a last resort additive. I your engine is pushed to the limit to use up all your ZDDP then you have A LOT more to worry about than if it is SL or SM rated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Did they increase other anti-wear additives to make up for the loss of ZDDP?

boron
sodium
calcium

I think with the better base oils and combinations they use and because if you increase things like better protection from oxidation and deposits your wear goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back