Hyundai Santa fe trans fluid change questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i posted this in the maintenance section but only got one responce about a kia rio, so here go!

we are talking about my brothers 2004 santa fe with a 2.7L and an automatic transmission (2 wheel drive version) 72,000 miles.

i am changing the trans fluid with the hyundai sp III and have the following questions.

1) how much do i get out on a simple drain?

2) what is the quart capacity of the trans, torque convertor and all?

3) is this trans reliable?

4) is their anything i am missing?

5) is sp III synthetic?

thanks for anybody giving any knowledge! mike

(1) how much do I get out on a simple drain----Measure how much you drain out

(2) what is the quart capacity of the trans, torque converter and all--check the owners manual under capacities,or call and ask the dealers service department

(3) is this trans reliable--depends on how he treats it and services it

(4) is there anything I am missing--now thats a poser

(5) is SP III synthetic--who cares, its what is spec'ed for that tranny, and its what you say you're using

Originally Posted By: jcwit
(1) how much do I get out on a simple drain----Measure how much you drain out

1) call me silly but i would like to know so i can buy fluid from the dealer before i have the vehicle apart and draining

(5) is SP III synthetic--who cares, its what is spec'ed for that tranny, and its what you say you're using

i care! i always like to know what i am putting in vehicles i work on! and because i fiqured others in the forum would like to know. i have heard of others using amsoil in the hyundai transmissions and wondered if sp III was synthetic like the amsoil?

jcwit i am sorry i offended you? mike

not sure whether it is synthetic. I know Amsoil ATF is OK for it.

I know StevieC will want to chime in. I have thought about that 2.7 V6. small engine for a 6 cyilinder?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
not sure whether it is synthetic. I know Amsoil ATF is OK for it.

I know StevieC will want to chime in. I have thought about that 2.7 V6. small engine for a 6 cyilinder?

it is a small six cylinder! i drove it for 5 miles last week and it has a little pep, and the transmission seems to shift smooth (no hunting). i was impressed when i drove it!

1) Buy 5 quarts. Any extra can be used for the 2nd drain/refill a week later.
2) Reference the owners manual or factory service manual.
3) No
4) Upgrade the fluid, install a trans cooler, and an inline filter
5) No. Amsoil, Maxlife, Mobil1, ATF+4.... are some you should consider.

Hyundia/Kia have excellent online manuals that you can sign up to use for free!!
http://www.hmaservice.com/ http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

Originally Posted By: unDummy
1) Buy 5 quarts. Any extra can be used for the 2nd drain/refill a week later.
2) Reference the owners manual or factory service manual.
3) No
4) Upgrade the fluid, install a trans cooler, and an inline filter
5) No. Amsoil, Maxlife, Mobil1, ATF+4.... are some you should consider.

Hyundia/Kia have excellent online manuals that you can sign up to use for free!!
http://www.hmaservice.com/ http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp

thanks undummy! i didn't think about a second drain a week later but now i will do it to get more of the old stuff out.

one of the reason i asked about spIII being synthetic was because i heard talk about spIII being the same fill as atf+4 and the same as mitsubishi's trans fluid. but i believe it is dino oil. maybe spIV will be synthetic.

spIII being dino really explains why alot of hyundai's darken the trans fluid "quick"

and lastly thanks for the free manual links! mike

The owners manual usually gives total fill and sometimes the refill amount. Usually you get out ~ 40% of the toale fill by doing a pan D&R.

jcwit i am sorry i offended you? mike

No offence taken at all. I just found your questions very simple to answer except for the is SPIII syn. Mfg. calls for SPIII and my opinion is to use SPIII fluid. Not a fluid thats recommended for but a fluid that states it meets the requirements and warrenty requirements of the mfg.

Fluid is cheap, tranny's aren't. So to me is it syn. is immaterial, does it meet warrenty requirements. I realize some have used other fluids with no problem, but if the tranny goes out guess who's paying the bill, not the mfg. And the fluid mfg. isn't going to help you either.

Just my 2 cents.

Others have already stated the tranny isn't necessary a reliable tranny, so again I'd go with what the mfg. says, why press your luck with another brand.

Unless you can get a warrenty in writting that using their fluid and something goes wrong they'll replace your tranny for free--Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i posted this in the maintenance section but only got one responce about a kia rio, so here go!

we are talking about my brothers 2004 santa fe with a 2.7L and an automatic transmission (2 wheel drive version) 72,000 miles.

i am changing the trans fluid with the hyundai sp III and have the following questions.

1) how much do i get out on a simple drain?

2) what is the quart capacity of the trans, torque convertor and all?

3) is this trans reliable?

4) is their anything i am missing?

5) is sp III synthetic?

thanks for anybody giving any knowledge! mike

How I missed this thread I'm not sure... Have the same truck with the same engine but an '06 and over 200K KM (120K miles).

I currently use Amsoil ATF which claims to meet the SP-III specification as required by Hyundai in order for the transmission to function properly and so it doesn't end its life in disaster.

You can also use the Dealer Stuff which I find too expensive. It is a synthetic blend and it takes exactly 4 Litres if just doing a drain/refill. 1 Jug is all it takes.

Do yourself a favour and get a washer for the Drain Plug or you will have leaks. The washer is about $1

Also you will have to remove the Plastic skid plate underneath to get at the Transmission drain plug which is located near the drivers side wheel underneath the transmission and not on the transmission pan. The Transmission pan is not to be removed unless the transmission needs to be rebuilt. The Filter if not the external spin-on type, used in earlier models, is sealed inside the transmission behind the valve body/solenoids and there for "life" and doesn't need to be changed unless there is a problem.

Before you take off the transmission plug, pull out the dipstick so that air can flow in as the fluid flows out. This will save it coming out in spurts and from making a mess. (You will see what I mean if you don't)
grin2.gif

If you have a spin-on filter (shouldn't in '04), change this at this time, you will require a jug and a quart of ATF to complete this change then.

Under no circumstances should you use any other fluid that doesn't meet the SP-III spec.

As for some of your other questions... If the fluid is changed regularly (40K Miles) or less or when the colour starts to change, the transmission will live a very long life. They had some problems in the 01's but then fixed them and have been rock solid ever since due to the auxiliary cooler located in the front of the radiator below the upper bumper line.

As for the total fluid capacity of the Torque converter etc. I believe it was something like 9 quarts, but I don't remember whats in the book as I never do a full flush/fill, just a drain and refill as described above.

Also wipe off the drain plug end as there is a magnet that catches metal filings/residue. You will be surprised at what comes off.

Good luck with the drain plug, it's a PITA to get at because of a support member that runs right beside the plug. A 22mm boxed end of a wrench is the best thing to take it off with if the skid plate is removed.

With my Skid plate off I cut a big round hole in it where the Transmission drain plug is so I could get at it in future without taking the skid plate off. I now use a modified 22mm socket which is shaved down on the one side so it can crack loose the plug & tighten it up. Works great and I would highly recommend this instead of taking off the skid plate each time.

If you need any more info, feel free to contact me by PM.

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Off the Amsoil site:

2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE 2.7L 6-cyl Engine Code [D][H] DOHC

FILTERS
Oil Filter: EAO20 Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter:
Oil Filter: 51334 WIX 51334 Oil Filter
Air Filter: 42740 WIX 42740 Air Filter
Fuel Filter: NS
Trans Filter: 51064 WIX 51064 Oil Filter [1]
Cabin Filter: 24853 WIX 24853 Cabin Air Filter

1. Spin-on Transmission

NGK PLUGS & WIRE SETS
PLUG GPSERIES BKR5EGP NGK7090 [1]
PLUG IXIRIDIUM BKR5EIX-11 NGK5464 [2]
PLUG PREMIUMPLATINUM PFR5N-11 * # [3]
PLUG PRERIUMIRIDIUM IFR5E11 ^ [4]
PLUG STANDARD BKR5ES-11 NGK2382 [5]
PLUG VPOWER BKR5E-11 NGK6953 [6]
WIRESET WIRESET RC-XX91 NGK3878

1.DOHC
2.DOHC
3.DOHC
4.DOHC
5.DOHC
6.DOHC

TRICO WIPER BLADES
Blade Class Driver Passenger Rear
NEOFORM T16220 T16200
EXACTFIT T221 T201 T131
WINTER T37225 T37205 T37131

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
SAE 10W-40 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 32°F......20W-40, 20W-50
Above -9°F......10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50
Below 95°F......5W-30, 5W-40
Automatic Transmission,4 Speed.....SLF[1]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,5 Speed.....SLF[1]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Differential, Rear .....GL-5
All Temps......80W-90
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-110
Transfer Case,.....GL-5
80W-90
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid.....PS
AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid.....HB
Series 500 High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid
Clutch Fluid.....HB
Series 500 High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid

1. Hyundai SP-III Automatic transmission fluid or equivalent

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
0 Fittings, 0 Plugs

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........4.8 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........7.4 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, 4 Shallow Paneed Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, 5 Shallow Paneed Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed 5 Speed..........8.3 quarts
4 speed 4 Speed..........8.3 quarts
Differential, Rear..........2.3 pints
Transfer Case,..........1.7 pints

1. After refill check oil level.

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....25-33 ft-lbs

They list a filter but most North American models after 2002 didn't have the spin-on Transmission filter any more.

Trust me, I know... Because I kept questioning the dealer because there was a filter listed for my transmission and it was "Spin-On" and I couldn't find it anywhere...

Also it takes 4L to fill the transmission after a drain from the drain plug. Not 8 as specified above.

my brother does not have a spin on filter. i can see where it is cast into the casing but it is casted over. the unreachable internal "filter" i hear is a screen.

the 2004 in question does have a plate style trans cooler behind the grill. (woot woot thanks hyundai!!!!)

for all those wandering 4 litres is exactly 4.22 quarts. so one can conclude that a drain and refill, will get a little more than half the fluid out (if the system holds 8.3 quarts!) IMO that is alot.

the vehicle was just bought with detailed records so i know the trans fluid has been changed at 25,000 and 50,000 miles by a local hyundai dealer. i am just trying to stay ahead of the curve because my brother usually keeps vehicles 300,000 miles +.

steveC thanks for your detailed job description! it will come in handy when we change this trans fluid at 75,000 miles! i plan on using dealer spIII for the first change. but might use amsoil in the future. don't worry i will not put anything else in that does not meet the spIII spec!

i will change the crush washer also!

oilboy123 thanks for the for all the fluids and capacities. very helpful, not only to me but anybody searching in the future!

i do have one other question? is the trans axle have seperate fluid "rooms" for the transmission and the differential? or does the spIII lubricate both thru one giant sump?

this forums help has been very helpful! mike

Mike,

Glad I could help... Anytime you need help with the Santa Fe feel free to contact me. I have a technical manual from the dealership for it too in case you want diagrams later in future. The 04-06 have all the same "stuff"

Didn't mean to be harsh about the SP-III spec, but there are a ton of posts where people want to save buck and use a non-spec fluid and it just isn't worth it.
grin2.gif

As for the trans axle, it uses the same shared fluid to lubricate both.

Good corrections StevieC. Amsoil site is a good general source for this stuff. Take it with a grain of salt though.
I am sure it is not as accurate as the Factory specs.

thats what steviec said i have not bought the fluid yet so i don't know.

i guess being semi-synthetic it is roughly 30% synthetic?

Check out your local KIA dealer for the price of SPIII. My last case of 12 qts ran $6.25 a qt. Same stuff.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
thats what steviec said i have not bought the fluid yet so i don't know.

i guess being semi-synthetic it is roughly 30% synthetic?
Check out your local KIA dealer for the price of SPIII. My last case of 12 qts ran $6.25 a qt. Same stuff.

I don't know the content of syn in the oil but it must be fairly good because the oil looks good and runny on a cold winters day up here.

As for the SP-III you can check Hyundai, Kia or a Mitsubishi dealer as they all carry the same SP-III rated stuff.

You can also purchase full synthetic from Amsoil. I have been using their stuff for quite a while and have noticed much smoother shifts and the fluid lasts a lot longer.

Her it is the other way around. Hyundai dealer had lower prices for fluid than Kia dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back