Toyota 5W-30 Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab. The oil spec
is for 5-30 SL. Anyone know who produces the Toyota Oil ??
The Maintenance Required montior goes off every 5000 miles
which is the interval Toyota wants you to change the oil.
I think that is too long especially for the initial break in.
Is this Toyota Oil a synthetic ??. My plan was to drop the
factory fill at 1500 Miles and change to PP than change
the oil at 5000. What do you guys think ??

Has been posted here Many times before... Toyota oil is made for them by XOM.

Toyota has a Mineral oil (conventional) made by XOM and a Syn made by them.

I'm currently working with another user on the board to analyze a sample of the Lexus branded synthetic oil to see what its contents are.

For now Pennzoil platinum, Mobil-1 or Lexus oil seem to be excellent synthetics that will serve you well with the proper OCI and a good denso filter.

As for break in I would leave the FF in there for at least 1000 miles. The filter will catch the junk that lets go.

I would also warm up the engine to full operating temperature (drive for half hour), and while rolling at least 20 mph do a few wide open throttle (pedal to the floor) runs up to 50 mph then gently ease off the gas until your foot is off completely and then coast back down to 20mph and do this a few times then let the engine cool down and repeat over a few days. This will help ensure proper ring seal/seating and cam break in. It will not harm your engine/transmission at all if you do it on a fully warmed up engine while rolling when you floor it. It is very beneficial to the rings.

Last edited:
My 09 Corolla S also had the 5k scenario, and I changed early as well. I think your plan sounds good. I'm surprised that engine specs SL 5w30, I thought about all of the Toyotas were now on 5w20. Either way, it'll be fine, I've been running 5w30 in my car, and I think its smoother that way.

You may want to double check the manual as a 2009 most likely should require a SM oil.

The Toyota oil is not a syn and syn is not needed in your truck.

The only thing needed is changing the oil! You have an excellent engine that will work great with any oil.
01.gif

I'd personally change out the factory oil around 1-2k miles, another 3k run to 5k then 5k or 6 months whichever comes first with ANY 5w-30 SM oil and pretty well any filter.

Keep your receipts, the box lid of the filter with mileage and date written on it and a good log of what you did just in case of a problem.

Enjoy the new truck!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You may want to double check the manual as a 2009 most likely should require a SM oil.

The Toyota oil is not a syn and syn is not needed in your truck.

The only thing needed is changing the oil! You have an excellent engine that will work great with any oil.
01.gif

I'd personally change out the factory oil around 1-2k miles, another 3k run to 5k then 5k or 6 months whichever comes first with ANY 5w-30 SM oil and pretty well any filter.

Keep your receipts, the box lid of the filter with mileage and date written on it and a good log of what you did just in case of a problem.

Enjoy the new truck!

Bill
Bill not to doubt you but my friends '09 RAV 4 says SL on the oil cap.
shocked2.gif

All your other advice is bang on! Yotas go extremely far on conventional oils in most cases... No need to waste the extra on Syn IMO!

Last edited:
Don't go to the dealer. Buy reasonable oil and a reasonable filter and the will handle 5000 mile OCI's with no problem. You don't need a synthetic, if you want the added margin of satety or you tow or you want cold weather performance, IMO they're worth ten extra bucks a year.

Is it the 2.7? I'm also taken back by the SL recommendation. Maybe they had some leftover 2004 Highlander oil caps, as that's exactly what mine says.

Wow. Mine says SL also but its almost 4 years old.

No problem since SL is a excellent oil too. The jump from SJ to SL was major in my book.

Either way, that motor is a great one and ANY SL/SM oil is going to do you fine.

Take care, Bill

Id refill with Mobil Clean 5000 @ 1500mi and again @ 5000mi then OEM OCI after that. Its a great oil and is less that $2/qt. Gotta love the top mount oil filter!

Bubba0420:
I purchased a new 2009 yaris sedan in March. I did my first oil change at 600 km. I noticed that the drained oil in the drain pan had a silvery coloured swarf in it that I could see when I gently stirred it with my finger. I next changed the oil at 2000 km. The swarf was still there but a little less so. At 4000 km, I changed the oil again, and the swarf was considerably less. I last changed the oil at 6000 km. The swarf then was almost non-existant; basically like what I've noticed in fully broken in engines.

I used Petro-Canada Supreme 5w-30, a hydrotreated non-synthetic oil available here in Canada.

What I would like to pass on is that the original oil in the engine appeared to be like new when seen on the dipstick, but it wasn't until seen in the drainpan that I saw the swarf. For me I could really see that as I kept the oil changed, I was keeping the break-in swarf minimized, thus probably preventing it from embedding in important parts like bearings, and causing undue wear on cams, etc. Anyway, I can't imagine that it would have been better to leave the original fill in for the recommended 8000 km.

My car now has about 7600 km on it. I do mixed city/highway driving, and the engine runs great, with no noticable oil consumption and gives low fuel consumption (6 to 7 l/100km).

Hope this helps.
Candoo

Maybe the 'swarf' was a special breakin additive.
I think 2K on FF is perfect and then 3K on that fill and then every 5K after that. That is my standard breakin for a new car.

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
No It's the 4.0 V6 and the owners manual and the Oil Cap Spec SL

There are some darn good oil choices available in SL. Recently I've seen Walmart Supertech High Mileage and Mobil 1 High Mileage, and I think Castrol Syntec 0w-30 is still SL.

Oh - Did the owners manual spec gf-3 or gf-4 energy conserving oil? If yes, Toyota must allow SM. The High Mileage SL oils mentioned in the previous post are not energy conserving.

Last edited:
Toyota not only allows SM to be used, but in most cases recommends it. The oil fill cap on my 2007 Corolla calls for 5W-30 SL, as does the owner's manual. But a TSB issued says that beginning in 2006, GF-4 oils are now used as factory fill in all Toyotas, and the Corolla in particular should now (dated 2006) be serviced with 5W-20 SM oil, or an oil consistent with the owner's manual. So although the TSB is vague in that it tells you what viscosity grade to use, but then says to refer to the owner's manual (which lists a different grade), it does say in no uncertain terms that GF-4 is Toyota's oil of choice.

It does surprise me that an '09 truck would still recommend SL. I wouldn't think they'd STILL be burning through old oil cap inventory. But that appears to be what happened on the 1ZZ-FE engines in the Corolla. Although Toyota called for 5W-20 SM back in 2006, every 1ZZ-FE oil cap (though the engine's retirement after the 2008 model year) calls for 5W-30 SL.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Oh - Did the owners manual spec gf-3 or gf-4 energy conserving oil? If yes, Toyota must allow SM. The High Mileage SL oils mentioned in the previous post are not energy conserving.

I do believe the Walmart Super Tech 5W-30 High Mileage is Energy Conserving. It's one of the only HM oils I've seen that is. At least it was about a year ago; I remember asking a question about it here on BITOG.

Went to Toyota to test drive a new Mini-Van (Dad wants one to replace his Vue) and the 2010 oil cap said 5w-30 and SL on it!

He liked the Honda van more so I guess he may go that way...

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Went to Toyota to test drive a new Mini-Van (Dad wants one to replace his Vue) and the 2010 oil cap said 5w-30 and SL on it!

Not to hijack the thread, but what'd you think of the Sienna? I'm half considering trading our T&C on one (though it'd likely be for an '06-'07 model).

Not a bad rig. We were looking at a 7 passenger LE FWD. Dad said that he liked the Honda better for power getting on the freeways.

I have NOT seen the Honda but will be in the next week. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back