Pro-Tec filters (made by WIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use them??? I get them for $1.60 per filter by the case so several OCI ago, I switched from the regular WIX (black can) filters to these since they are made by WIX & both of my vehicles use the same oil filter so by the case is more convenient.

I am not doing extended OCI's, I realize that the Pro-tec are not made to the same specs as the full-priced WIX filters, but I have heard the Pro-tec are the exact same spec as a NAPA silver so maybe they are decent if not pushed too long???

Comments please...

I have not used them because they aren't on any shelves around here, but if they are similar to the NAPA Silver/Pro-Select also made by WIX, they are among the best basic filters around, in my opinion.
In fact when people I meet ask me, to simplify things I tell them they are pretty much safe stumbling into any local NAPA for oil and filters.

Does WIX have a plant in Mexico? I recently bought 10ea Protec #116 (PH3600) from Rockauto and they were made in Mexico. The previous Protec's I bought were USA mad WIX.

The Pro-TEC filter is likely made to compete with the Orange Can of Death and the other sub-$4 filters. I doubt it's a high quality filter.

the protec is a wix "B" filter, same construction, same quality, only difference is the burst pressure rating is like 325psi vs 470 for the actual Wix.
We sell them and they are very popular for the price as well as zero problems/no warranties with them.

when we had to deal with fram, we also sold defense, also a honeywell product. we had better luck with defense filters than the orange can of death.
fram's were very good filters, until they put that black grip coating on, which flakes off and gets messy sometimes.

Here is a pic of one cut open.

Pro-TecParts.jpg

Originally Posted By: EricF
the protec is a wix "B" filter, same construction, same quality, only difference is the burst pressure rating is like 325psi vs 470 for the actual Wix.
We sell them and they are very popular for the price as well as zero problems/no warranties with them.

And you got this information from who??????

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Does WIX have a plant in Mexico? I recently bought 10ea Protec #116 (PH3600) from Rockauto and they were made in Mexico. The previous Protec's I bought were USA mad WIX.

The short answer is Yes.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
You don't consider sub $4 filters like the Purolator Premium Plus, STP or SuperTech a high quality filter ?

If it's questionable as to whether a filter meets OEM specifications, then how could you consider it to be a quality filter? A Purolator Premium Plus filter does not have a silicone ADBV. As an example, the OE Honda filters do. All of the premium filters do. Therefore, how could you consider the Purolator Premium Plus filter if it lacks basic features that exist on the OE filter?

The actual construction and amount of evenly spaced pleats (paper media) inside the PP+ make it a quality filter.

I will have almost 20K miles (mostly highway miles) on an oversized PP+ and in about 2 months I will cut it open to take a look inside.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The actual construction and amount of evenly spaced pleats (paper media) inside the PP+ make it a quality filter.

I will have almost 20K miles (mostly highway miles) on an oversized PP+ and in about 2 months I will cut it open to take a look inside.

So evenly spaced media makes a filter high quality? What about the quality of the filter media, because that is important as well. And you still haven't addressed my concern about the ADBV-- wouldn't you rather have a proper silicone ADBV?

that filter media/cartridge looks exactly like the one i pulled out of an AC Delco pf47 a month or 2 ago. it too had a black ADBV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: daman
That media looks thin!!!
crazy2.gif

It does?

I think so yes!,,look at that then some others..

It is thinner than a WIX/NAPA Gold, I think. But still a really good filter for the money in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back