NGK V-Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered them this morning, going to pick them up tomorrow. Anyone have any experience with these? They were a good price, and seem to be good plugs. And NGK makes the OE plugs for the cavalier, so they seemed like a good choice.

NGK plugs are the only kind I buy. I have never had a failure with them. I had a 240sx with a high power SR20 engine I built and the one time I tried anything other than an NGK plug I had misfiring problems.

As long as the correct type is used, NGKs seem to run fine in just about anything.

I have used V-power in a GM 4.3L instead of AC w/o issue before, and currently run the "laser platinum" in an Olds Quad 4, also work just fine.

Last edited:
NGK makes very high quality products. I've used them for years in just about everything. I'm pretty sure that your Cav calls for a double platinum plug though. The NGK Iridiums are very nice also. Check out this dyno testing of several different spark plugs by an dealer, not a manufacturer. They pretty much dynoed everything they carry. Pretty interesting.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=SRT-4+Dyno+Results&mfid=0

Much MUCH better than Bosch Platinums in my Hyundai Accent.

I've also used them to replace platinum plugs in other vehicles. They always run smooth. I change them every 30K miles so the non-platinum is not an issue.

Put a set in my GF's Cavalier last year to replace the Delco's that were made by NGK. No difference in ecconomy or power except the Delco Platinums were $5.99 a piece and the NGK Platinums were $1.99 a piece.

not saying that the engine won't run on copper plugs, but it is not what is called for. Bosch platinum are biggest piece of [censored] plugs ever. I would never use them in anything. I've seen so many problems with these plugs, with engines running like [censored], electrodes falling off, just junk. NGK Vpower are like $3 a piece and are excellent quality plugs especially for the price. However, the Iridiums are even better.

NGK platimum power plugs are an economy plug. I think the V-Powers are better. But like you said the Platinum Power plugs are very cheap. I have a set in my Ram with no problems.

From Advance, the V-Powers were $1.99 apiece, the G-Power Plats were $2.79ea, and the ACDelco were $6.49ea I think. The NGK Iridiums were slightly more expensive than the ACDelco plugs. From what I know, plugs should go like this...

GM- NGK, ACDelco
Ford- Motorcraft
Chryser: Champion, Autolite
Imports: Autolite, Bosch

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
From Advance, the V-Powers were $1.99 apiece, the G-Power Plats were $2.79ea, and the ACDelco were $6.49ea I think. The NGK Iridiums were slightly more expensive than the ACDelco plugs. From what I know, plugs should go like this...

GM- NGK, ACDelco
Ford- Motorcraft
Chryser: Champion, Autolite
Imports: Autolite, Bosch

Is that what to use in them??
Gm usually has Delco Plugs,
Ford Motorcraft/Autolite
Chrylser uses Champion and NGK
Most imports (asian at least) use NGK or Denso plugs
Eurpoeans I'm sure you get some Bosch and NGK. Don't see too many of those cars though.

I mean plugs that work well in those engines. Like you should never use Bosch in a domestic car, they will misfire and run like [censored]. And if you use anything but Champion in chrysler you might have serious misfire problems.

I just changed out my Ngk copper's today with 30,000 miles and they looked like they could go another 20,000. I put Denso's in which is what my toyota came with. The Ngk's ran great and I'm thinking about getting their v power copper plugs for my next change. I don't think you can wrong with Ngk or Denso.

Last edited:
rudolphna -- "... anything but champions in chrysler you might have serious misfire problems". in my neck of the woods, the ngk's are excellent in mopars.a few of us do general maintenance on many vehicles over the years, and i don't know of anyone that uses champion plugs as replacements in mopars. the ngk v-power are excellent in all the big 3 products that we've ever worked on. as well, the asian cars like the ngk's. never heard a complaint about them.

Ngk's pretty much work in everything. Ive heard of people running them in everything from domestic to german cars without any problems. I believe Bmw is using them in some of their cars now.

Originally Posted By: brian12
Ngk's pretty much work in everything. Ive heard of people running them in everything from domestic to german cars without any problems. I believe Bmw is using them in some of their cars now.

Saw NGK's in my aunts BMW and was surprised since most of the parts in the engine bay are made by Bosch.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Originally Posted By: brian12

Saw NGK's in my aunts BMW and was surprised since most of the parts in the engine bay are made by Bosch.
Yeah, I've heard that dodge has switched over to them now instead of champions. I've also had numerous people tell me that ngk/denso make ac delco plugs now as well. It looks like Ngk is making plugs for just about every major manufacturer now.

I flip-flop between NGK or Denso for plugs. Both are superior to Champion, Bosch or Autolite IMO - unless said Autolites are ending up in a Ford.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I flip-flop between NGK or Denso for plugs. Both are superior to Champion, Bosch or Autolite IMO - unless said Autolites are ending up in a Ford.
Personally I think Denso are the best. Then Ngk. If I were to rate them it would be Denso > Ngk > all others.

I installed the V-Power in my Subaru last week.The last change I had a garage install .I think NKG'S was what the factory installed.I should of known the garage installed Autolite Platinum's.Can't complain though they lasted 36,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back