Redline 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a potent oil. Especially being a majority POE base. Nice.

Thanks for posting all of these VOA's John.

Originally Posted By: buster

Of course, honestly, I was not surprised by any of these numbers. It is performing well so far....

Is RL really majority POE, ie >50%? Id always thought it was closer to 30% with the rest PAO, of course depending on the grade.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
1400+ moly? Is that due to Dyson methods? I know there was a redline 0W40 UOA posted recently (saab 9-3 maybe) but I don't remember it having that much moly?

Edit: found it http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1532313#Post1532313

about 500ppm moly on that one. Is the 1400 a typo or lab mistake perhaps? Maybe it is 493?

It's not an error. I posted a similar VOA of Redline 5w-20 a few years ago. Also run by Dyson. He ran it twice, confirming accuracy. Now blackstone on the other hand would come back waaaaaaaaaay lower. No surprise there.

Does redline oil have good additives to keep a street engine clean? I've read (and you know you can't believe everything you read) that redline is great for racing but not as good for a street engine - any truth to that?

Also, regarding the high phosphorous and zinc (compared to the Mobil 1 I've been using) - that's phenomenal! After reading one thing that tells me that zinc and phosphorous help to prevent wear, and that it's use is being reduced to satisfy epa requirements, I've been searching for a (5w30) for my truck with higher zddp numbers, so this one sounds great! Then I read something else that told me...too high a concentration of these causes corrosion in an engine over extended time, hence supporting the previously stated "theory" that the Redline would be great for wear protection but not necessarily the best overall choice for a long-term street engine. Again, you can't believe everthing you read, so I'm asking...what do you think? Either way, that would appear to be a great oil, I'm just trying to decide if it's the best oil for my application

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
Does redline oil have good additives to keep a street engine clean? I've read (and you know you can't believe everything you read) that redline is great for racing but not as good for a street engine - any truth to that?

Also, regarding the high phosphorous and zinc (compared to the Mobil 1 I've been using) - that's phenomenal! After reading one thing that tells me that zinc and phosphorous help to prevent wear, and that it's use is being reduced to satisfy epa requirements, I've been searching for a (5w30) for my truck with higher zddp numbers, so this one sounds great! Then I read something else that told me...too high a concentration of these causes corrosion in an engine over extended time, hence supporting the previously stated "theory" that the Redline would be great for wear protection but not necessarily the best overall choice for a long-term street engine. Again, you can't believe everthing you read, so I'm asking...what do you think? Either way, that would appear to be a great oil, I'm just trying to decide if it's the best oil for my application

These are street oils, and there are many diesels that have put many, many, many miles on oils with that level of zinc and phosphorus.

GM-
Lawn tractor oil (like Briggs and Startton or John Deere SJ) is loaded with ZDDP, as is the great John Deere 50 and Chevron Delo. Nothing wrong running these oils in a older car with a rebuilt. ZDDP is cheap - no need to spend extra $$ to get an oil loaded with it.

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw

Of course, honestly, I was not surprised by any of these numbers. It is performing well so far....

I recently put this oil in my car and I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back