Zerex Asian Antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the Asian formula has phosphates. If you want to use a Zerex formula that is non 2-EHA with no silicates or phosphates, use Global Lifetime.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
No, the Asian formula has phosphates. If you want to use a Zerex formula that is non 2-EHA with no silicates or phosphates, use Global Lifetime.

I thought the 2-EHA attacked certain gasget......Is there a problem with Phosphates??

The Japanese automotive manufacturers use phosphated (P-OAT) coolants for a reason. See the article "Coolant Development in Asia" at http://www.astm.org/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI100368.htm.

Ford evidently has been convinced of the merit of P-OAT coolant technology as well. Ford recently started using rebadged Mazda FL22 coolant (instead of G-05) in vehicles that rely on joint Mazda/Ford engine technology. Mazda FL22 is an extended life (second generation) P-OAT coolant. In contrast to North American and European coolants (e.g. G-05), Japanese P-OAT coolants were developed primarily for aluminum engines.

In cars with aluminum engines, I would steer clear of silicate-free, phosphate-free OAT coolants like Peak Global Lifetime. Most of these coolants are Dex-Cool clones. Peak Global Lifetime reportedly contains no 2-EHA but uses other organic acids (which Old World Industries will not reveal) isntead. Peak Global has no phosphates and there is no evidence that it even contains the same OAT package as the Asian coolants. For the record, CCI Corporatoin, the Japanese company who developed P-OAT coolant technology, is a dominant force in contract manufacturing of coolants in North America. They bought Dow's coolant business about 10 years ago and it appears that a large fraction of North American coolants (including Zerex coolants, Peak coolants, Motorcraft coolants and private label coolants from Wal-Mart, Advance Auto, O-Reilly's Auto Parts) are actually manufactured by CCI. They all come in exactly the same bottles, which are identical to the bottles used by various Japanese OEM coolants, e.g. Toyota Long Life and Super Long Life coolants and Mazda FL-22 coolant). Japanese automotive engineers hate 2-EHA and none of the CCI OEM coolants contain 2-EHA. But CCI manufactures a large volume of coolants containing 2-EHA under contract for other companies.

I am glad that Zerex is finally marketing a Japanese (CCI chemistry) coolant. Now those of us who believe in the superiority of P-OAT coolant technology do not have to buy Japanese OEM coolants.

For more information on the CCI coolant empire, check out:

http://www.ccijp.co.jp/en/index.html
http://www.cci-il.com/en/home/default.aspx

Originally Posted By: ponderosaTX

In cars with aluminum engines, I would steer clear of silicate-free, phosphate-free OAT coolants like Peak Global Lifetime.

It's been 3.5 years since I began using this exact coolant in my 2001 Civic. Approximately that amount of time and more than 100k later, I have no problems to report. I've changed it once as well during that time period. I plan on draining/filling the 2005 CR-V with this as well sometime this winter.

Last edited:
it appears that a large fraction of North American coolants (including Zerex coolants,... actually manufactured by CCI.

CCI makes Zerex coolants???

CCI, U.S. facility in Lemont, Illinois,
http://www.cci-il.com/en/products/antiFreezeCoolant.aspx

Zerex = Valvoline = Ashland Chemical. So you're saying that Ashland contracts CCI to make their coolants??? Even if this is the case, has anyone ever seen this mystery Zerex Asian coolant in any store?
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_Asian_Vehicle_Technical_Bulletin.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105

The German BASF website says nothing about Ashland manufacturing antifreeze.

Ashland bought BASF's Zerex North American antifreeze business in 1994, but Ashland has been very careful in recent press releases and the current annual report (2008) not to claim that Ashland MANUFACTURES antifreeze. These documents merely state that Valvoline (a division of Ashland) MARKETS Zerex antifreeze.

I cannot find any evidence that Ashland owns an antifreeze manufacturing facility. Where is it? According the latest annual report, Ashland has a chemical manufacturing facility in Hernando, MS but I cannot find any concrete evidence that his facility makes antifreeze.

All Zerex coolants including G-05 are sold in CCI bottles. So are the OEM branded coolants for MB, Volvo, and Ford. I would not be surprised if CCI buys a BASF additive package or manufactures the G-05 additive package under license from BASF. CCI has focused on dominating the global antifreeze manufacturing business, including many antifreeze products that have nothing to do with their own P-OAT technology. See http://www.cci-il.com/en/products/antiFreezeCoolant.aspx.

The antifreeze industry is very concentrated with a small number of manufacturers making a plethora of brands (just like automobile batteries). Ashland is a huge, well-managed, diversified company and Zerex antifreeze constitutes only a tiny part of its business. It makes little sense for Ashland to invest the capital required to manufacture its own antifreeze.

I read the information at the BASF web site before and I read it again. It says NOTHING about Ashland/Valvoline MANUFACTURING antifreeze using BASF technology. It merely states that Valvoline holds a license on BASF coolant technology.
I would not be surprised if CCI is restricted to manufacturing G-05 formula antifreeze for BASF licensees.

I also asked where Valvoline's putative antifreeze plant is located. I have not yet received (nor do I expect to receive) a response.

According to Ashland's annual reports, Zerex was the number two selling antifreeze when Ashland bought the Zerex antifreeze business from BASF in 1994. For the next decade, Ashland apologized every year for disappointing profits from their antifreeze business because of low margins. About five years ago, Ashland quit reporting that Zerex was the number two selling antifreeze in the U.S. In recent years, antifreeze has played such a small role in Ashland's revenues and profits that it is scarcely mentioned in the 2008 Annual Report. Moreover, the 2008 report only states that Valvoline MARKETS Zerex antifreeze--not that it MANUFACTURES it.

In the future, I will probably buy Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant. The fact that it is actually made by CCI (who invented and hold the patents on Asian P-OAT coolant technology) is reassuring.

In the future, I will probably buy Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze/Coolant......

Yeah...If you can Find it...
21.gif

I have been buying the Toyota Pink Stuf since my car was new. The rad and reservoir combined hold exactly 1 gallon. SO usually each year I would drain out 1 gallon and replace one gallon. This way I avoid having to flush and I keep the chemistry like new. It has varied over the years from $12 a gallon to $24 a gallon either way it is not a huge cost to do it once a year!

The biggest pain in the rear is that I have to go to the dealership at least once a year. This year will mark the first year I have failed to do this. SO it will be two years with this fill come next Summer. Being unemployed again which in Michigan is becoming fairly normal I have tried to cut back on my over the top maintenance!!LOL

Seeing how it is supposed to be good for 5 years or 120,000 miles I do not think doing it every two years is going to hurt anything. I just do not like to trust my corrosion protection any longer then that. I always changed my coolant once a year when the green stuff was the norm and I never have had a water pump fail on anything until my wifes Buick which had Dexcool and it was owned by my Grandmother and she followed the OEM recommendations to the letter with the exception of using Mobil-1 10W30. Her water pump let lose right around 100,000 miles.

I think their is a lot to be said for maintenance if you plan on owning a vehicle longer then 5 years or 120,000 miles. I think this is especially true if you plan on rebuilding the engine at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back