healthy foods (mainly cottage cheese)

Status
Not open for further replies.
America has heaps of great farmers markets but most are too lazy to find them. We get nearly all our food at farmers markets, organic and cheap. Lazy and food don't go together.

sprintman,

I'm not lazy but driving 90 miles to buy groceries at a farmer's market is absurd. Therefore, we have a decent garden & make do with that (canned vegetables are for times of rationing, civil war, famine, etc).

asian,
Exercise! You don't have to be bench pressing 300# but get some workout, cardio, etc. It has to be a balance within the exercise regiment & also between exercise & eating well.

First, get a checkup and have your thyroid levels checked. There are a lot of people that suffer from hypothyroidism and don't know it.

Once you've done that don't diet. If you plan to diet stop now, you'll fail. "Diets" don't work-period.

What does work is a lifestyle change. If you really are disgusted by the big gut hanging off your frame, then you need to be motivated to change what's causing it-your lifestyle.

Find foods that are nutrient dense, but light in calories. Eat well balanced meals that include plenty of fish, fruits and vegetables. Skip all the fast food places-that stuff barely qualifies as food anyway. That includes Subway, despite "Jared".

Stay away from refined sugars, salt, white flour, treats and snacks such as ice cream or candy bars. Do not drink anything that comes out of a can or 2 liter bottle (that's all soda pop).

If you really want to get into shape you can, but it takes a lot of commitment. Most people start with the best of intentions, but fail because they really aren't committed to a lifestyle change.

Good luck.

It takes commitment to stay on a lifestyle change. You have your BITOG family to check in with. Also pick out a friend that is trying to lose weight and then both of you can support each other and make it friendly competition. I cook spinach in the microwave (fresh). Round up a pie plate with wet spinach and cook it for 90 seconds and add a little olive oil and mix well. Cook it 90 seconds and it is ready to eat. This is nothing like canned.

Good luck and check in often with a progress report.

Last edited:
I cook spinach with an egg cracked in it. Throw in a few spices and it's pretty good. Light mayo tastes as good as regular, too. Lean meats like chicken breast can be brined and grilled for flavor... I don't know, that's all I got. Turkey bologna is just as good as regular. Not that it's 'healthy' but it's better than the real thing. It's hard to get past the flavor of good ol' fat and grease but with some experimentation you can find some really good alternatives.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
90 miles is to far to go if that's your closest farmers market. what about roaadside stalls or charity markets?

I thought he said he had a garden where he was growing stuff? Besides, I can't imagine that someone in Alabama won't be able to shop at a farm. ;-)

Originally Posted By: pickled
Tuna

You would be well advised to stick with mackerel, small herrings, sardines, and other small fish, all of which contain a fraction of mercury compared to tuna.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
One of the foods that I'm trying to incorporate into my days is fat free cottage cheese because of the amount of protein in it and the low calories. But this stuff doesn't taste all that great. Not terrible but it doesn't suit my taste. Anyway to improve it?

I suggest you make yoghurt cheese. Drain plain yoghurt overnight. Line a fine meshed sieve or strainer with a couple coffee filters. Place the lined strainer onto a pot or sauce pan. Dump the yoghurt into the strainer. Cover with bowl etc. Let drain over night. The result is yoghurt cheese. You can put it on bread as it is, you can also spice it with herbs. It's also suitable for making cheese cake.

By the way, if you absolutely need salad dressing, make your own from plain yoghurt mixed with a bit vinegar or lemon juice, ketchup (Get one that has no sugar and other junk added!), and herbs.

Do not buy flavored yoghurts. They are all disgusting, way too sweet and full of non-dairy stuff like gelatin and guar gum. Buy plain white yoghurt and mix it with a good jam or marmalade. I make lemon flavored yoghurt: plain white yoghurt, a few drops lemon oil or lemon juice, a little vanilla sugar, a little sugar. Mix well.

When buying yoghurt, don't buy any that contain anything like emulsifiers, fillers, sweeteners etc.

I'll keep the yogurt suggestion in mind. I can't really stand the tartness of plain yogurt though.

What makes tuna have more mercury than other fish?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'll keep the yogurt suggestion in mind. I can't really stand the tartness of plain yogurt though.

What makes tuna have more mercury than other fish?

Would it have something to do with the fatty tissue. I rather eat aku sashimi on a daily basis over ahi. Best sashimi was live akule(scad)..

It's mostly an age and a rank-in-food-chain issue. Tuna are up pretty high in the food chain. They are bigger and older fish, and they eat older and bigger fish. The bigger and older a fish, the more it's loaded with nasties. Small fish like sardines don't live long enough to accumulate a lot of mercury etc. Some contaminants accumulate mostly in fatty tissue. Farmed fish may also be loaded with toxins. Avoid Chinese sewage fish and other seafood at all cost.

Mercury has been in fish for thousands of years. It happens with the earth crust and volcanoes.

Then there is man's run off that causes mercury intake. There hasn't been any mercury poisoning from eating fish that has been documented. The Japanese eat raw fish(tuna) for years but no documented mercury poisoning.

I can understand heavy mercury from man himself in polluted areas but what about clean environments where mercury will occur naturally. Also tuna do travel long distance so...it's not completely controlled in one area.

The thing that sucks is the phenomena called global transport. There are truly no pristine environments in this world anymore in regards to pollutants especially when we talk atmospheric and aquatic environments. Now having said that there are some hot spots where if you decide to imbibe in locally raised cuisine you are truly either starving or insane! Heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, arsenic and mercury have long half lives within the body so you can accumulate them over time. When I was 20 I found out that I had enough lead in my blood that it could basically make me mentally handicapped LOL! The lead, from my drinking water, had even started to accumulate in my bones to a significant concentration (it displaces calcium). I always joked that that's why I was so resilient to injury...that guy has bones of lead! Six months of chelation therapy got me down to the less dangerous zone.

Thankfully though not everyone responds to these toxicants as predicted and some of us can keep on keeping on. Having said that though you really don't want to go crazy living off from large carnivorous fish because you might end up being as mad as a hatter some day! Worse yet you might become afflicted with an addiction to BITOG due to these environmental influences.

Catfish has the lowest mercury level and considered safe from mercury and also tilapia.

But no thanks I don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back