STP Oil treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
steve20 said:
after the STP is diluted with 5 qts of engine oil, howe much of an increase in PPM is there--? probably not much to make any difference

Steve20. With that amount of zinc it will raise the zinc levels
around 90 to 100 ppm. So if the zinc level of your typical
SM oil is around 850ppm, then adding one bottle to 4.5 L/qts
of oil should bring the level up to about 940 ppm of zinc.

Back in the 1960's and early 1970's no oil change was complete for me until I added that can of STP. I usually used Quaker State Super Blend, which I seem to remember being marked "10W20W40". When M1 synthetic came out in the middle 70's, I changed over to that, and have never used any oil additives since.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
steve20 said:
after the STP is diluted with 5 qts of engine oil, howe much of an increase in PPM is there--? probably not much to make any difference

Steve20. With that amount of zinc it will raise the zinc levels
around 90 to 100 ppm. So if the zinc level of your typical
SM oil is around 850ppm, then adding one bottle to 4.5 L/qts
of oil should bring the level up to about 940 ppm of zinc.

Not to mention it will deplete the % of other additives normally found in your motor oil.

I have a big supply of QS 5W30 and was thinking of adding STP blue bottle at oil changes so I could get it up to 10W30 viscosity for summer use???????????

A couple months ago I picked up four bottles of red stp 4-cylinder treatment on sale in the very small town where my grandparents live. I never see this stuff in stores. I figured a small zddp boost and it's thinner than the blue, what the heck. I put some of this stuff in yesterday because my truck was burning off 10w-40 a little too quickly with the quart of mmo in there. Saying the red is thinner than the blue is like saying Oprah is thinner than Arethra Franklin :)In the end, it's still WAY thick. Just thought i'd share my experience with you guys. Before I knew much about oil and additves I added a bottle of the blue to some sm 5w-30 I had laying around for zinc, and to thicken it as well. The stuff would barely come out of the bottle! It probably became seperated from the oil upon cool down.

I have a can of the synthetic STP Oil Treatment out in my garage that I picked up at Big Lots a few Years ago, I will go out in the garage tommorow and see what it says on the can.

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
A couple months ago I picked up four bottles of red stp 4-cylinder treatment on sale in the very small town where my grandparents live. I never see this stuff in stores. I figured a small zddp boost and it's thinner than the blue, what the heck. I put some of this stuff in yesterday because my truck was burning off 10w-40 a little too quickly with the quart of mmo in there. Saying the red is thinner than the blue is like saying Oprah is thinner than Arethra Franklin :)In the end, it's still WAY thick. Just thought i'd share my experience with you guys. Before I knew much about oil and additves I added a bottle of the blue to some sm 5w-30 I had laying around for zinc, and to thicken it as well. The stuff would barely come out of the bottle! It probably became seperated from the oil upon cool down.

In the day when STP Blue was the most popular and best selling oil additive of all time there was a trick to adding it. Heat it up, by placing it in a pot of very hot water, then add it to an engine that was warmed up and running. The thought was the thickness of the STP provided a cushion to moving parts, and it stayed up on metal parts by clinging and not running off. In an old oil burner it might have some value today. If you just want to thicken oil, use a thicker oil.

I agree on the right weight oil to begin with thing, but I had just bought the truck and ended up getting home two quarts low with something that resembled burnt oil with a good maple syrup thickness. Fresh jug of 5w-30 just sitting there waiting. This time it was because mmo thinned my 10w-40 out too much.

Originally Posted By: y2k345
I have a big supply of QS 5W30 and was thinking of adding STP blue bottle at oil changes so I could get it up to 10W30 viscosity for summer use???????????

So can I use this to up the viscosity seeing I have a lot of 5W30 ??????????

I like talking about old school products, maybe there is still some use for STP today, there must be, it is still around.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I like talking about old school products, maybe there is still some use for STP today, there must be, it is still around.

IMHO all these old school additives are made obsolete by modern synthetic oils.

The only oil additives I use is Lubro-moly MoS2 Anti-friction additive ($6/can at AAP) since I know exactly whats in it (colloidal MoS2), and what it does.

Unlike STP or various "motor honey" products the Lubro-moly MoS2 is the same viscosity as motor oil, and so IMO would not harm things like the oil's pour point and cold cranking.

Last edited:

So can I use this to up the viscosity seeing I have a lot of 5W30 ??????????

I think you need to read more about viscosity.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Originally Posted By: c3po

IMHO all these old school additives are made obsolete by modern synthetic oils.

The only oil additives I use is Lubro-moly MoS2 Anti-friction additive ($6/can at AAP) since I know exactly whats in it (colloidal MoS2), and what it does.

Unlike STP or various "motor honey" products the Lubro-moly MoS2 is the same viscosity as motor oil, and so IMO would not harm things like the oil's pour point and cold cranking.

I agree that most additives are obsolete in modern, well cared for engines. But that doesn't mean that they don't have a place in an older oil-burner or in some classic rigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back