Lubricating Calipers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Craig i found this maybe its helpful.

Bulletin 34 01 01 (656) dated 01/2001 says not to use Never Seez Compound on M3, M5, M coupe, M roadster and Z8. They say that it has an unfavorable influence on the corrosion characteristics of the black brake caliper surface. They go on to say to use Plastilube.

Thanks... I bet you I couldn't find Plastilube at a local retail store to save my life. (Or SylGlide, or the Permatex Ceramic, or...) I'll be looking into it.

Cheers.

That BMW stuff sounds good.

I just got some Kleen Flo - Synthetic Silicone Lube for Brakes .. Its clear kinda yellowish too ...

EZE-SLIDE

they had it :) So I bought it :)

Last edited:
Turns out Plastilube is OEM ATE makes it.When i go back to Germany i pick it in any store,never seen it on the shelves in the U.S.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/atebmw-plastilube-anti-squeal.htm

Thanks for the info about the plastic pin guides good too know.

I used the 5.5mL packet for the last job, part# 81229407103. I threw it in with a past order from AutohausAZ but none of the parts houses I use now (located in Canada) seem to sell it at the moment.

If that was indeed Plastilube, I'll keep looking for that exact product.

I noticed when using www.realoem.com that 81229407103 isn't listed as an E39 (5-series) application, but is for most other cars. I thought that kind of odd... Perhaps just a parts system oversight.

However, I see at this page that for the E39 it recommends part# 83239407830 which is "Never Seez". As compared to this page for the E46 (a contemporary of the E39) it clearly shows the Plastilube.

Hmmm.

I can say that I have the regular grade Never-Seez that's referred to as an anti-seize and I can attest that the properties of the two are quite different.

Last edited:
Turns out Plastilube is OEM ATE makes it.

The "Plastilube" name is licensed to several manufacturers. The most commonly available Plastilube is a bentonite-based grease and made by Henkel/Teroson.

I just use the Sil-Glyde or Permatex lube myself.

For those that like the idea of using anti-seize, Nissan sells "PBC Grease" which is very similar, but is specifically meant for caliper slides. It works very well but is expensive ($50-ish a jar) and unlike the Permatex is loaded with Lead.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
When shopping for brake "lubricants" these two classes of greases seem to be mixed interchangeably by helpful Internet folks, manufacturers, DIY instructions, and store clerks. I don't know exactly how people think that super high-temp grease (essentially) is going to work or act the same as that squeal-stop jelly that sets up and is meant to be applied to the entire rear surface of pads, yet most people don't know the difference. When grilled, they simply don't know.

I'm looking for top quality alternatives to the OE BMW stuff as my source for small quantities may have dried up (no pun intended) and I have a couple of BMW brake jobs coming this fall. Everything I see in local stores is generic junk which is unclear from the instructions which of the two kinds of material it is, but states it will be excellent at stopping squeal.
smirk2.gif

Synthetic caliper grease can be used on the back of brake pad shims. In fact, it's the only stuff that is recommended by some manufacturers, such as Honda. The sticky/tacky disc brake quiet compounds can cause the shim to separate from the pad's backing plate. My friend bought a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet pads recently and enclosed with the box were a set of instructions that described this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back