Microscope grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
Has anyone heard of microscope grease? Some time ago I decided to regrease an old microscope that was seizing. I used an automotive grease. It allowed movement and the seizing went away, but the weight of the lens tube caused it to creep downward from gravity. If anything, it move too freely.

I asked the tech who services our microscopes what kind of grease he uses. He says he uses a "microscope grease". It seems that the grease allows free movement during focusing, but has enough tack to hold the tube in place so it won't move on its own. I believe that material property is called shear thinning. The tech also mentioned the grease costs $100 per ounce.

We do, you don't have enough resolution to see it
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Has anyone heard of microscope grease? Some time ago I decided to regrease an old microscope that was seizing. I used an automotive grease. It allowed movement and the seizing went away, but the weight of the lens tube caused it to creep downward from gravity. If anything, it move too freely.

I asked the tech who services our microscopes what kind of grease he uses. He says he uses a "microscope grease". It seems that the grease allows free movement during focusing, but has enough tack to hold the tube in place so it won't move on its own. I believe that material property is called shear thinning. The tech also mentioned the grease costs $100 per ounce.

What you need is dampening grease like the one I bought when I refurbished and modified my binoculars. Dampening grease is used in helical focusing threads and in electro-mechanical switches that require a nice feel (motion and sound control) when turning. Also prevents "creeping." This type grease resists aging well and doesn't get runny under hot conditions, so it will not soil optics or leaf shutters over time. I used Nyogel 767A, which is a medium to thick dampening grease. For a microscope you may need extra heavy dampening grease. There are various viscosities available. I think I paid about $30 for a 50 gram tube. Check smartgrease.com.

You can see the tube of dampening grease at the top to the far right:

supplies.jpg

The yellow dots mark where I applied the grease, which besides lubricating the focusing mechanism, also made a dust seal between the sliding tubes:

shields.jpg

The above images are from this thread.

So, Kestas, did you ever get some dampening grease for your microscope? The Nyogel I used on my binocs is holding up great. I use the binoculars several times a week along the shoreline and on the water, often in windy and foggy conditions. High heat has also not made this grease runny.

No, I didn't get any, nor do I need it at the moment. I was asking for general knowledge, since many microscopists sometimes come to me for advice.

Interestingly, this question was asked in a Microscopy listserver where I'm registered, the same day I posted this question. Concensus is that your answer was spot on. Damping grease is used. One suggested using Nyogel 795A, probably similar to the Nyogel 767A you suggested. Another suggested using Carl Zeiss "fine watchmaker oil" PN 000000-0117-482-000Z, sometimes marked "Uhrenol 46".

Here are some links that add more detail to the subject:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artjul04/iwlomo.html
http://www.smartgrease.com/damping/

Dampening grease is certainly the proper lube. Its viscosity must match the required or intended amount of dampening.

I have never heard of Carl Zeiss watchmaker oil. Professional watchmakers and the watch manufacturers themselves use mostly Moebius watch oils. Since there were two Zeiss companies, one in West Germany (Carl Zeiss) and one in East Germany (Carl Zeiss, Jena) for decades, in case of the East German company anything is possible. Anyway, oil is not suitable for lubricating optical instruments, because volatile components may cause haze on lenses, and because oil can literally spread onto optical elements over time. The latter can happen even with old dampening grease. I have purchased and fixed up many old Nikon binoculars that had oil that had separated from the carrier all over their insides, including internal lens elements.

I recently fixed the rotary switch on my old stove. It also required dampening grease for smooth action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back