Recommendation for primary and trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '04 Heritage Softail is approaching its 25,000 mile service. It has been dealer serviced since new with Harley's syn3 but now that the bike is out of warranty I plan on doing it myself. I have decided on Mobil1 15w-50 for the engine but I want to hear what you guys like to run in your primary's and transmissions.
35.gif

In the primary... just a good 10W40 with low moly, like Castrol GTX or Valvoline 10W40. Even higher moly oils will work fine. I've used the following oils in my primary (1994 Low Rider), with no problems at all...

Valvoline 10W40
Napa 10W40 (same oil as Valvoline)
Shell Rotella 15W40
Mobil 15W50 (you could do the same, but the expense is unnecessary)
Autozone 10W40
and of course the Harley stuff (which is just 10W40 motor oil with not much of an additive pack).

I like Mobil 1 75W90 in the tranny. Amsoil works great for many here as well, and my friend really likes it (he only changes it every 20K or so).

I once ran some dino Valvoline 80W90 in my tranny and found a little fuzz on the metal drain plug after about 2500 miles... but never any fuzz with the Mobil 1. I think the Mobil 1 held viscosity better than the Valvoline plain dino 80W90 did (judging only by appearance on the drain out)... But even the dino oil worked fine, and the bike shifted about as well as it did on the HD product I had used once before.

In short, the primary is the least particular part of the system as to oil. Some folks even use transmission fluid (ATF) with good results.

Next is the engine, I would say. You simply need an oil that won't shear down to water (but shearing to a 40 weight has never hurt my engine, according to UOA's).

Then the most critical choice would be (in my opinion) the transmission oil, which even HD finally is half-conceding needs to be more than Syn3 (most dealerships are persuading folks toward other products for the tranny). Get a robust oil that will hold its viscosity, which will mean a good synthetic. Mobil 1 or Amsoil either one will work.

Lastly... since you're running a twin cam, check this UOA we did on my friend's 2003 Softail: http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...rue#Post1214567

Dan

First off Mobil1 15w50 will shear to about a 40w in a Harley in about 1000 miles based on 2 UOA's I have seen.

In my 2006 FXD I use:

Engine; 20w50 by Mobil1Vtwin or Redline
Trans: Redline Shockproof Heavy 75w250
Primary: Redline MTL 70w80 manual tran oil which has no moly in it.

I am very satisfied with the results.

Thanks for the responses guys. As usual there is no clear cut answer and now I even need to rethink my engine oil choice!

Why stay away from moly in the primary?

Originally Posted By: PT1
First off Mobil1 15w50 will shear to about a 40w in a Harley in about 1000 miles

It starts out a thin 50w..

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

Why stay away from moly in the primary?

Some people have exerienced clutch slip with moly additives in the wet clutch. (very few) but the MTL is a nice robust lube that has none so that is what I use.

Last edited:
I use Castrol 20w50 motorcycle oil in the engine, 10w40 in the primary, and 75w90 in the tranny. I figure Castrol knows more about oil than Harley Davidson. I've heard that Harley probably buys oil from the cheapest supplier, so they could switch suppliers every year. I don't like that.

I have a 2001 Heritage Softail I have run Belray Hyphoid gear oil in the trans for years it has worked great. In the Primary I run Rotella 15w40. I now run Delvac in the engine I used to run Amsoil. I ride alot less than I used to. I will say the Delvac has worked perfect In 90* temps I rode my bike down to VA beach stayed for a week and hammered back up to Jersey. The oil was fine. I know some one who used to run the Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 oil and he sent in to be checked and it was sheared down to a 40 wt. So I have no fear in running the 15-40 in my bike.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
My '04 Heritage Softail is approaching its 25,000 mile service. It has been dealer serviced since new with Harley's syn3 but now that the bike is out of warranty I plan on doing it myself. I have decided on Mobil1 15w-50 for the engine but I want to hear what you guys like to run in your primary's and transmissions.
35.gif

You didn't say what the oil change interval will be.

If you are going with the HD recommendation of 5,000 miles (or one year) then Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Amsoil MCV 20W-50 would be my choice for the crankcase.

If you're doing 3,000 mile change intervals then that 15W-50 Mobil 1 will be fine. In fact (Fueltankerman chime in here) you would get excellent results with Havoline 20W-50 and 3,000 change intervals.

Mobil 1 70W-90 or Amsoil 75W-110 in the transmission for 10,000 mile change intervals (or one year). Add Redline Heavy Shockproof and a few others in this category.

The primary chaincase is good for just about anything except for some of the Chevron/Delo products which have elevated their moly content in recent history. Rotella 15W-40 is what I use. However, Redline MTL does a nice job. And (like someone else said) ATF is mostly recommended by the aftermarket clutch manufacturers and will work with fine the OEM setup.

Try this link for more information:

Harley Lube Link

There are so many choices for the primary/transmission.... but (in my mind) the biggest thing is to change it out at least annually. We see a lot of bikes with failed transmissions due to moisture. Many folks almost never change (or even check) the transmission. Just something to keep in the back of your head...

My mileage has dropped to about 2500-3000 a year on the Harley since I got a second bike so it looks like it's gonna be annual oil changes. Mobil1 15w-50 is what I'm leaning toward and I like the convenience factor of using the same oil in both bikes.

Oh, and thanks for the "heads up" on the annual trans fluid change.
thankyou2.gif

You can check your trans oil for moisture. Just look at the oil for cloudiness or discoloration. I check mine 2-3x a season. Never any issue so I run the trans in all of my bikes 20k or 3 years which ever comes first. Every time I drain it it looks fine.

In my 06 'Glide Standard I use the 15w50 Mobil 1 in the engine. Most any synthetic 75w140 in the trans and Rotella or Delo 15w40 in the primary as most of the HDEO 15w40 oils are wet clutch rated. No need to get too fancy. It is just a chain and clutch running in oil. Change it every 10,000 or so and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back