Changing serpentine belt 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My serpentine belt has minor cracks in it and needs to be changed. In other cars (GM) the tensioner had a large nut I could put a socket on and then move it with an 18" rachet. This one has no nut or bolt head I can feel but it does have a slights ridge molded in that I could push down on it with a tire iron but surely that is not the way it was designed to be moved. So what is the trick I am not seeing.

look under the power steering pulley... you will find a nut there, LOOSEN IT ONLY! look at the back of the pump and LOOSEN the two bolts on the back. Then finally, on the side of the pump at the bottom of the bracket, there is a long bolt that is used to adjust the tension by moving the pump side to side. It sounds more complicated than it is but you should have no trouble with it.

Sounds much like changing it on the Wrangler(same 4.0L) just not sure if they moved the arangment of components around etc.

Last edited:
Edited it, as the first was only partially correct. Its actually the power steering(it's an XJ right?)

You may want to read over this thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12024

as they discuss it more in depth(my reply is from that forum). Some are saying 2000/01 and earlier are via the Power Steering and others are saying the 01 is via a spring tensioner bolt and thats all.

Last edited:
OK, does not look like the alt. is the adjustment, but there is a 1/2 square hole in the tensioner bracket and maybe one can move the tensioner by putting a 1/2 ratchet into that hole?

OK, does not look like the alt. is the adjustment, but there is a 1/2 square hole in the tensioner bracket and maybe one can move the tensioner by putting a 1/2 ratchet into that hole?

89078632.gif

Look at 5 o'clock from the thermostat housing. You should find a 15mm bolt head. The coolant sensor slightly interferes with getting at it. The idler pulley (that you loosened the #2 bolt) is what's moving. The 15mm bolt is what allows it to drop/move downward/outboard.

There should be a decal with an arrow pointing to the moving pulley (in the direction that it should move) on the front near the top of the radiator.

Ah well since you were saying it was just an 01 Jeep Cherokee(4.0) thought it was the boxy Cherokee, not the upper model.

Well this Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2001 4.0 6cyl has a 1/2" square hole in the tensioner assembly you put in a 1/2" drive or a tensioner tool and move it. Auto Zone loans the tool for only a deposit. Too bad they gave me the wrong belt. But the Gatorback belt does look impressive. Old belt off and now old belt back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back